• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

You're making these comparisons in some weird bubble cutting off the most important achievement of a coach... I'm not saying the Steelers would fire Tomlin NOW. Tomlin isn't still coach now if he never wins a Superbowl is what I'm saying.  It's totally different if you remove the Superbowl...

See above...

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

My concern with Payton is minimal but it's that without Brees his offenses weren't anything special. In his years before and after Brees his offenses were typically in the low teens or twenties for points scored and yards.

This is a key point.

People want to argue over whether Payton made Brees or Brees made Payton. The reality is that it doesn't matter. It was the combination of the two of them that was great together.

Can't assume you have the same success with only one of them.

2 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I already said I would trade places with the Broncos if I could. If the 2015 team wins that SB and everything else plays out like it has since then, I'm a thousand times happier than I am right now. I went to that SB in 2015 and it was one of the worst experiences in my life, but man if the shoe were on the other foot, would probably be one of the greatest memories I'd ever have.

I want more than just memories.

I want to go into next season not feeling like I did coming into this one.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I want more than just memories.

I want to go into next season not feeling like I did coming into this one.

No guarantee of that no matter who we hire. Given we were just talking Broncos, how do you think their fans felt coming into this season after firing Fangio and with Nathanial Hackett paired with Russell Wilson? Look how that turned out. Feelings don't mean poo, results do.

And this is coming from a guy that was all in on Ben Johnson. I hope Steichen or Kafka can replicate what guys like McVay, Taylor, etc have done, but I've come around to Payton not being a bad alternative. 

Edited by UNCrules2187

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

No guarantee of that no matter who we hire. Given we were just talking Broncos, I'm sure their fans were hyped by having the next big thing in Nathanial Hackett paired with Russell Wilson going into this season and look how that turned out.

And this is coming from a guy that was all in on Ben Johnson. I hope Steichen or Kafka can replicate what guys like McVay, Taylor, etc have done, but I've come around to Payton not being a bad alternative. 

I can't count how many times have seen people say "let's hire this guy based on who he used to be" assuming he's just going to be that same guy all over again.

Ask some of those past fanbases who hired a Super Bowl winning coach assuming they'd return to their former glory how that went.

With respect to the topic of super bowl win vs mediocrity.

Everyone ask yourself, if the panthers had won the super bowl in 2016 but everything else played out the same way, you'd be totally fine right now bc we can point to a game 7 years ago?

If you say yes i really think you're lying to yourself.

I would take a decade of playoffs and close calls than one ring. I totally agree with Mr. Scott

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Enough that I don't feel like enduring ten more years of them just so I can hang on to one season like some loser constantly recalling his high school glory days.

And again, people assuming Payton would be just as good here as he was in New Orleans are assuming a lot.

I think that is what you are missing, Payton doesn't have to be as good here as he was in New Orleans...if he is half as good as he was, he would still be better than anything we have every had.  Not to mention he is a proven commodity vs an unknown up and comer.  What gives you the confidence that we wouldn't continue to be a middle of the pack team with any of the other coaches mentioned during this search cycle?  Is there one you believe guarantees we will be an above average team?  Which by the way, I was all for Johnson but I'm not going to let my hopes and dreams of the next Sean McVay get in the way of see what is directly in front of me.

• Pie 1

Just now, HPPantherzfan said:

I think that is what you are missing, Payton doesn't have to be as good here as he was in New Orleans...if he is half as good as he was, he would still be better than anything we have every had.  Not to mention he is a proven commodity vs an unknown up and comer.  What gives you the confidence that we wouldn't continue to be a middle of the pack team with any of the other coaches mentioned during this search cycle?  Is there one you believe guarantees we will be an above average team?  Which by the way, I was all for Johnson but I'm not going to let my hopes and dreams of the next Sean McVay get in the way of see what is directly in front of me.

Jimmy Johnson was a proven commodity when he went to the Dolphins too.

Likewise,, Gruden to the Raiders, Parcells to the Cowboys, etc.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, firstdayfan said:

Everyone ask yourself, if the panthers had won the super bowl in 2016 but everything else played out the same way, you'd be totally fine right now bc we can point to a game 7 years ago?

I would take a decade of playoffs and close calls than one ring. I totally agree with Mr. Scott

A decade of playoffs and close calls with no ring will get that coach fired anyway. It got Andy Reid fired in Philly, it got Dan Reeves fired in Denver, it got Mike Holmgren fired in Seattle. John Fox went 46-18 in Denver and was fired after 3 straight 12+ win seasons.

6 minutes ago, firstdayfan said:

Pretty much 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Matt Rhule was a media creation.

Tepper hired a head coach to a top 10 salary who not only had 1 year of NFL experience (as an ASSISTANT position coach no less) but who hadn’t beat any ranked teams in his time as a head coach in college. Guy was a thoroughbred phony and Tepper fell for it. Now he’s chasing Sean Payton who is probably still working for the crooked Saints to grift the Panthers and tank the franchise into oblivion. Whatever decision Tepper makes, I’m confident it will be the wrong one.