• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Holmgren and he made it back to the Super Bowl with Seattle. But in any case, I don't particularly think it's relevant given the sample size is small as hell, there's only been 7 coach trades in the league's entire history. 

Look, I get it, you don't want Payton and think it would be a bad hire no matter what. I don't think the "no coach has won a SB with two different teams" thing is as much of a smoking gun as you make it out to be given the sample sizes aren't that big to begin with. It'll happen eventually. 

How do you feel about Payton moving his own people into the front office and moving guys like Fitterer and Morgan out?

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Seem like ownership and no way to get a QB.. Which we would give them with 2 1st rounders..

That’s if they get what they want and just like us when we wanted two firsts for cmc, it didn’t happen. Look, I’m not saying it’s a good idea to give up a ton of draft picks for him, but we don’t know that’s what will happen. 

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Where in your breakdown is 2 1st round picks and the team trading needing a QB??

I ultimately don't think it's going to take two firsts, but even if it does, you're not hiring Payton with the intention of drafting a top 10 QB. I think you're bringing in a guy like Brady, Carr, Garoppolo, or swinging for the fences for someone like Lamar Jackson.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

How do you feel about Payton moving his own people into the front office and moving guys like Fitterer and Morgan out?

I feel fine about it. It's not like they've really done anything here to make me think they're not expendable for the right guy.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

That’s if they get what they want and just like us when we wanted two firsts for cmc, it didn’t happen. Look, I’m not saying it’s a good idea to give up a ton of draft picks for him, but we don’t know that’s what will happen. 

We weren't trading McCaffrey to a division rival

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't like him, but that's not why I wouldn't want him hired.

I don't like what we'd have to give up for him.

I don't like that he'd want full control.

I don't like the idea of hiring a guy who was successful elsewhere and hoping that he has the same success in an entirely different system without the quarterback that helped make him.

And I don't like the idea of Tepper "swinging for the fences" again rather than taking a more measured approach.

That's my reasoning.

Lol. Rhule was a swing for the fences? I'll give you that, they did whiff horribly on making their own head coach. You trust them at another go at it obviously smh.

Those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat it.

Best thing for Tepper to do IS hand over total control to Harbaugh or Payton and not so much with Reich but a loose leash still.

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I feel fine about it. It's not like they've really done anything here to make me think they're not expendable for the right guy.

If you're okay with giving up two first round picks as well as gutting our front office and giving Payton full control, you've got a lot more faith in that guy and (and in David Tepper) than I do.

Either of those things would be an absolute non-starter for me. Both would be unthinkable.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

Just now, The Lobo said:

If you can tell me Payton can make Darnold, Corral or PJ elite and him without Loomis is a excellent drafter and talent evaluator.. Then Im done to give them whatever.. If not Im still very afraid of the compensation and giving another HC total control.. jmo

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

We weren't trading McCaffrey to a division rival

Nope, but Payton has all the leverage. If he truly wants to come here, a better deal will be worked out. Something is better than nothing. Keep in mind, I do not think we get him, I just think it’s the best play. 

Just now, WOW!! said:

If you can tell me Payton can make Darnold, Corral or PJ elite and him without Loomis is a excellent drafter and talent evaluator.. Then Im done to give them whatever.. If not Im still very afraid of the compensation and giving another HC total control.. jmo

Fair enough, but who’s to say those guys will be our qb?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're okay with giving up two first round picks as well as gutting our front office and giving Payton full control, you've got a lot more faith in that guy and (and in David Tepper) than I do.

Those things are an absolute non-starter for me.

We'll see if it really does take two first round picks. And unfortunately, for better or worse, it doesn't matter what you or I think are non-starters.

Edited by UNCrules2187

Just now, The Lobo said:

Nope, but Payton has all the leverage. If he truly wants to come here, a better deal will be worked out. Something is better than nothing. Keep in mind, I do not think we get him, I just think it’s the best play. 

Eh, I'm not so sure of that.