• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd argue he had a better corps in NY. Some of those guys really came on toward the end of the season and things began to click. TMJ, Tremble, and Thomas? Come on, dude.

That's an argument you'd lose IMO at least on the WR front. Their leading WR had 164 less yards than DJ, and their #2 WR had 79 more yards total in 3 more games than Marshall.

TEs they were similar. 400 total receiving yards and 2 TDs from their TEs whereas Tremble and Thomas combined for 391 receiving yards and 3 TDs.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ECHornet said:

I agree. 

Some here do not. They mentioned they would rather have respectable seasons over a number of years than one Super Bowl and then below average.

Of course you want to win it all, but you need to start somewhere.  Would you call the season by Jacksonville a disappointment?  Outside of the way the Chargers lost, I would be excited as a fan by the potential, but also likely calling for a new HC.  How about the Giants and Vikings?  I would take those seasons after 5 consecutive less than 9 win seasons.

Everyone wants the ending without having to go through the journey.  Peyton at the cost of 2 first rounders may not be it.  I wouldn't be past a Reich hire or Reich/Wilks combination and continue to watch us rise out of the MESS that was the Rhule era.

I miss being excited on a weekly basis more than anything.  2003 and 2015 were fun, but so were the other years where we had a chance. 

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

1. These are not NFL scouts - I showed you Todd McShay and you laughed me off.

2. Not one mention of Luck or Lawrence in either of the two articles you linked.

BTW, I'm a UNC alum and fan, and I love Maye. I think he's going to be great and would love to have him on the Panthers. Doesn't mean he or Caleb Williams is the next HoF QB.

Anyone who has paid attention to scouting over the past 30+ years should take all "next great QB prospects" with a grain of salt. Especially freshmen and sophomores. 

This story has been played out time and time again.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Person, I think alluded to thus earlier, saying a lot of false information being thrown about. 

Yep. Blue checkmarks on Twitter mean very little. When Breer, for example, leads off his Tweet with "I think ... ", I mean ... give me a break. They want followers and clicks. If just ONE of these guys has actual insider factual news ... it would be Tweeted and every news source would run it. Instead, they have their little buddy who works for so and so, who "heard" so and so from so and so. It's all BS. Tweet us facts ... not, "word is" "general consensus is" "I'm hearing" "sources tell me", etc.

13 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd argue he had a better corps in NY. Some of those guys really came on toward the end of the season and things began to click. TMJ, Tremble, and Thomas? Come on, dude.

His WRs were consistently bad throughout the season tbh. My wife is a Giants fan, so I got to at least watch her be happy this season. Golloday was a non-factor, Robinson was hurt throughout the season, and they lost Shepard week 3. Darius Slayton (NYG 2019 5th rd) and Richie James (SF 2018 7th rd) did a lot of work for them when it wasn't going to Saquan.

Plus they lost Bellinger to the eye injury as well for a good bit. That roster overperformed this season to say the least.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Anyone who has paid attention to scouting over the past 30+ years should take all "next great QB prospects" with a grain of salt. Especially freshmen and sophomores. 

This story has been played out time and time again.

So you don’t look at scouting reports on prospects??

12 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

That's an argument you'd lose IMO at least on the WR front. Their leading WR had 164 less yards than DJ, and their #2 WR had 79 more yards total in 3 more games than Marshall.

TEs they were similar. 400 total receiving yards and 2 TDs from their TEs whereas Tremble and Thomas combined for 391 receiving yards and 3 TDs.

I know. I'm saying things look better for their squad. I play FF and three of their WRs came on like gangbusters at the end of the season. If Jones stays, and Kafka stays, and things continue to click ... they might be in a good spot. Yes, DJ is better than all of them. I won't argue that. But I think their corps will be better than ours next year. Just an opinion.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

So you can't read?

Now I feel persecuted .. lmao

I was asking because you said over the years scouting have been proving wrong .. So what do you look at when gaging if the panthers got a Chinn or a Gauldin?? 

Edited by WOW!!

10 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I know. I'm saying things look better for their squad. I play FF and three of their WRs came on like gangbusters at the end of the season. If Jones stays, and Kafka stays, and things continue to click ... they might be in a good spot. Yes, DJ is better than all of them. I won't argue that. But I think their corps will be better than ours next year. Just an opinion.

I think it depends on who they're able to draft/augment that WR room with. As of now, I'd lean towards our WR room over theirs, but obviously that's subject to FA/draft. If we hit on QB and coach, I could see our WRs doing quite well. I also think we're likely to upgrade at TE either thru FA or the draft. I would love signing an Evan Engram or Austin Hooper and drafting an explosive slot WR like Josh Downs or Zay Flowers with 39 if one of the two are there.

Edited by UNCrules2187

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Now I feel prosecuted.. lmao

I was asking because you said over the years scouting have been proving wrong .. So what do you look at when gaging if the panthers got a Chinn or a Gauldin?? 

You aren't reading what I said correctly. I said take all those scouting reports about freshman and sophomores with a grain of salt. More like a grain silo of salt. It's based on very limited inputs(not a lot of film) and those evaluations are going to progress as the careers of those players progress. For every Trevor Lawrence or Andrew Luck there are dozens of Spencer Rattlers, who don't improve or get worse and all that early luster fades away very, very quickly. That's basically what happened to almost the entire 2022 QB class for a recent example.

So, yes....it is WAY too early to be calling shots on Maye or Williams. They very well may end up being the next big thing but they also might end up being the next Sam Howell, a guy that had all KINDS of hype due to early career success but he just didn't really improve his NFL skills because he wasn't at a place that develops QB's well at all(hence why EVERYONE should be wary of Maye). 

Also, most of the people weighing in on these guys are media bobbleheads and amateur analysts. Doesn't make their opinions worthless but they aren't going to tend to hold as much weight as actual professional NFL scouts. That's why we see some stark disparities every single draft season between the "media draft stock" and the actual position that a lot of these guys are drafted. 

TLDR: just chill on the super young college QB hype. Let that play out and we will see what happens.

• Beer 2