• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is basically saying that you'd rather have Jon Gruden than Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin won his, yes, but hasn't been back for several years now. Still, he keeps his team in contention and has yet to have a losing season.

Gordon won his and then dragged the team down the sh-tter.

I guess you have to ask yourself, how many years of mediocrity have we already endured to have nothing to show for it at all.  Payton isn't my first choice but I certainly wouldn't be upset with it.  He has proven to be a much better coach than we have ever had here; like the person or not, respect his resume

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I mean I don't think they're the same since Tomlin winning one immediately means they aren't the comparison folks here are making. They were saying ring + mediocre for 10 years vs good but no ring for 10 years. 

Obviously all of us would rather have consistently good with a SB win than just a SB win.

Think if it this way: Would you rather have the last ten years of Tomlin or the last ten years of Gruden?

For context, Tomlin won his Super Bowl in 2009. Hasn't been back since.

You could say the same about the Broncos. They beat us in the 2015 season but have been sh-t ever since.

And let's be real: I know people say they'd be okay putting up with ten years of mediocrity, but by year two or three those same people would be b-tching to high heaven.

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

So we're going to give up at least a first round draft pick and probably more for someone who will be the 4th oldest HC in the NFL?!?!

It never sat right with me to give up draft assets for a coach, even less so with it being a divisional team getting said draft picks, and just made so much worse that this guy isn't even a long term HC option for us due to his age.

Tepper is really screwing the pooch with this one, he's like a kid who is distracted by the shiny object

I have a different opinion.  Payton would easily be the highest profile coach we've ever had.  Make all the Seifert comparisons you want (This is what I've read collectively from the Huddle, not you specifically.) but Payton is a young 60, in his coaching prime, and is a football genius.  Love or hate him, everyone knows he's a football genius.

A coach of Payton's talent is worth more then anyone player that isn't a Star QB in their prime.  You want the possibility of a FA qb signing with us?  Have Payton.  You want a coach that truly knows how to retrofit scheme to existing talent?  Bring in Payton. 

Really for all the bellyaching going on about Payton, it's a flat out no brainer if they can get it done. He will bring some big market attention to the team and it will give us something to be very excited about. 

Another thing about Payton?  His teams largely had good defenses too.  There is really no football reason anybody that doesn't like Payton has brought up.  It's either his age, or bounty gate.  Everyone can tell he isn't in decline mentally.  Guy is sharp as a tack.  Bounty Gate?  Our turf is a bounty gate right now. 

Be excited a great HC is considering coming here, not some unproven 1 year OC supposed wunderkind.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

8 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I guess you have to ask yourself, how many years of mediocrity have we already endured to have nothing to show for it at all.  Payton isn't my first choice but I certainly wouldn't be upset with it.  He has proven to be a much better coach than we have ever had here; like the person or not, respect his resume

Enough that I don't feel like enduring ten more years of them just so I can hang on to one season like some loser constantly recalling his high school glory days.

And again, people assuming Payton would be just as good here as he was in New Orleans are assuming a lot.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Think if it this way: Would you rather have the last ten years of Tomlin or the last ten years of Gruden?

You could say the same about the Broncos. They beat us in the 2015 season but have been sh-t ever since.

And let's be real: I know people say they'd be okay putting up with ten years of mediocrity, but by year two or three those same people would be b-tching to high heaven.

Tomlin is probably fired if he doesn't have a Superbowl win so I don't see the point in the comparison.

I'd rather be good and have a Superbowl but the dumb hypothetical was about Payton getting a ring and "ruining" the team.

Do you think Rams fans regret hiring McVay?

Just now, mav1234 said:

Tomlin is probably fired if he doesn't have a Superbowl win so I don't see the point in the comparison.

I'd rather be good and have a Superbowl but the dumb hypothetical was about Payton getting a ring and "ruining" the team.

Do you think Rams fans regret hiring McVay?

The Steelers are gonna fire a head coach?

That's one I'll believe when I see, plus word is Tomlin still has tremendous influence in that building.

As to McVay (and Snead, it should be noted) ask those fans what they think a couple years from now If their team goes down the toilet.

(It hasn't...yet)

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

At this point I'm so sick of seeing this franchise in the mud I'd take winning more games and competition in the playoffs over bottom feeding regardless of Superbowls, get back on track and stay there.

Excatly.  We want a competitive organization.  I just want to legitimately think we have a chance from time to time to win it. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is basically saying that you'd rather have Jon Gruden than Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin won his, yes, but hasn't been back for several years now. Still, he keeps his team in contention and has yet to have a losing season.

Gordon won his and then dragged the team down the sh-tter.

Apples and oranges. I said a SB ring and mediocrity over no SB and contention. Tomlin won a SB. Best case scenario we get a guy like Tomlin or Andy Reid, but if I had to choose between a Gruden (SB win, some playoffs, mostly mediocre) or a (RIP) Marty Schottenheimer (.613 win %, 13 years in the playoffs and only 2 losing seasons in 21 years, but never even made it to the SB let alone win it), I'm taking Gruden 100 times out of 100. 

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Apples and oranges. I said a SB ring and mediocrity over no SB and contention. Tomlin won a SB. Best case scenario we get a guy like Tomlin or Andy Reid, but if I had to choose between a Gruden (SB win, some playoffs, mostly mediocre) or a (RIP) Marty Schottenheimer (.613 win %, 13 years in the playoffs and only 2 losing seasons in 21 years, but never even made it to the SB let alone win it), I'm taking Gruden 100 times out of 100. 

And again, we sound like the jilted girl, the type of girl that marries somebody just because they want to be married, then realizes within a few months what a huge mistake she's made.

That's basically what we're begging to become.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

The Steelers are gonna fire a head coach?

That's one I'll believe when I see, plus word is Tomlin still has tremendous influence in that building.

As to McVay (and Snead, it should be noted) ask those fans what they think a couple years from now If their team goes down the toilet.

(It hasn't...yet)

You're making these comparisons in some weird bubble cutting off the most important achievement of a coach... I'm not saying the Steelers would fire Tomlin NOW. Tomlin isn't still coach now if he never wins a Superbowl is what I'm saying.  It's totally different if you remove the Superbowl...

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And again, we sound like the jilted girl, the type of girl that marries somebody just because they want to be married, then realizes within a few months what a huge mistake she's made.

That's basically what we're begging to become.

But a SB win isn't a mistake though :+) I would take a SB win and mediocre over 10 years of competitive. You cannot take away that trophy or the memories. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I already said I would trade places with the Broncos if I could. If the 2015 team wins that SB and everything else plays out like it has since then, I'm a thousand times happier than I am right now. I went to that SB in 2015 and it was one of the worst experiences in my life, but man if the shoe were on the other foot, would probably be one of the greatest memories I'd ever have.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2