• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

What is your proof of this? This sounds like a wild assumption. He coached the Saints for 16 years... there is no data showing he would come in ruin a franchise and leave..

Yes it is an assumption like just about everything else here.  He will not coach the Panthers 16 years. (Note...he left NO 1 year after Brees did)  There is no way to know if anyone here is right until after the fact.  I just fear the quickie win at all costs plan which will cost the team for years. I could be wrong of course.  Hopefully we don't find out.

Baby steps boys. There is a lot of things that have to go right to build a winner.  There is no magic pill or process that will solely make it all better.  There is not a single player or coach that can do it all by themselves. It takes getting a multitude of things to fall into place to get over the hump. The only commonality is time. But you certainly can sell out to go all in for one shot at a title.  That approach has mixed results but it's an approach a lot of teams seem to favor. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Yes it is an assumption like just about everything else here.  He will not coach the Panthers 16 years. (Note...he left NO 1 year after Brees did)  There is no way to know if anyone here is right until after the fact.  I just fear the quickie win at all costs plan which will cost the team for years. I could be wrong of course.  Hopefully we don't find out.

Yeah but there is a difference between sharing from patterns, logic, and data vs emotions/feelings/bias... I think you are creating a narrative that just cant be supported by any real world observations or behaviors. 

Has there ever been a head coach that retired from one team, then went to another to intentionally destroy it?

25 minutes ago, firstdayfan said:

With respect to the topic of super bowl win vs mediocrity.

Everyone ask yourself, if the panthers had won the super bowl in 2016 but everything else played out the same way, you'd be totally fine right now bc we can point to a game 7 years ago?

If you say yes i really think you're lying to yourself.

I would take a decade of playoffs and close calls than one ring. I totally agree with Mr. Scott

I think there's plenty of fans that would be happier if we'd won a SB in 2016 and had the last few years than if we'd competed say for the division and went to the playoffs all but one year but never made it back to trh SB.

I'm not sure where I'd fall tbh.

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I never said that he planned to intentionally destroy the team.

This line reads as if he willl intentionally destroy the franchise if he doesnt win He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying... but this reads pretty intentional.

19 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Tepper hired a head coach to a top 10 salary who not only had 1 year of NFL experience (as an ASSISTANT position coach no less) but who hadn’t beat any ranked teams in his time as a head coach in college. Guy was a thoroughbred phony and Tepper fell for it. Now he’s chasing Sean Payton who is probably still working for the crooked Saints to grift the Panthers and tank the franchise into oblivion. Whatever decision Tepper makes, I’m confident it will be the wrong one. 

There's evidence to that effect...

29 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

A decade of playoffs and close calls with no ring will get that coach fired anyway. It got Andy Reid fired in Philly, it got Dan Reeves fired in Denver, it got Mike Holmgren fired in Seattle. John Fox went 46-18 in Denver and was fired after 3 straight 12+ win seasons.

Sucks for the coach yeah but as a fan I'd much rather have that than finding other things to do on Sundays bc the team is so terrible.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

This line reads as if he willl intentionally destroy the franchise if he doesnt win He wants to come in, get his ring (or try) and leave the team in salary cap hell when he goes back to his cushy TV job and home in LA.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying... but this reads pretty intentional.

There's a difference between intentionally going all in to win, and intentionally sabotaging a franchise.  Some posters here are implying he's sto working with the saints to fug us - seems crazy to me, and LPs quite doesn't imply that IMO.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Yeah, that's not what that means.

She's basically saying he would come in and get what he could out of it, future be damned.

And the notion that he could leave us in a worse place than we were when he got here isn't exactly farfetched.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, firstdayfan said:

Sucks for the coach yeah but as a fan I'd much rather have that than finding other things to do on Sundays bc the team is so terrible.

I guess for me I liken that to empty calories/junk food. Yeah I got the sugar high, but ultimately what am I left with?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, that's not what that means.

She's basically saying he would come in and get what he could out of it, future be damned.

And the notion that he could leave us in a worse place than we were when he got here isn't exactly farfetched.

Thank you.  That is correct.  We would not be the 1st team to do that across all kinds of pro sports.  Looks like the Rams did it to themselves last year.  Tampa is going to be terrible next year.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Beer 1