• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you want to get the #1 pick from the Bears, what's your move?

EgoDogg

I'm sure the combine is going to change things, but mock drafts are all over the place for the top 10 picks. Could potentially have Will Anderson/Jalen Carter as the top two guys which could make the trade scenarios interesting. It's definitely not the kind of draft where everyone has Young/Stroud as the obvious top 2 off the board. As long as we don't draft Levis I'm comfortable with pretty much every other alternative

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

Don't think it's even possible to trade Moore with his cap hit this coming season. 

25m cap hit and 35m in dead cap. 

I wouldn’t trade Moore, but it’s actually quite easy to trade him right now. Cutting him isn’t feasible which is how you get $35m dead cap hit because you eat the 2023 base salary as well.

However, in a trade, while the remaining prorated bonus of $9.75m in 2024 and 2025 would accelerate onto the 2023 cap, his $20.165m of 2023 salary shifts to the new team so we’d actually net a little over $10m in 2023 cap space.

But good luck supporting a rookie QB with a mid-round rookie WR, Terrace Marshall, Shi Smith, Ian Thomas, and whatever bargain bin WR you can find in FA with that extra $10m in cap space. That’s why I don’t think it makes sense to trade DJ. He’s on a very reasonable deal for his level of production. 

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I wouldn’t trade Moore, but it’s actually quite easy to trade him right now. Cutting him isn’t feasible which is how you get $35m dead cap hit because you eat the 2023 base salary as well.

However, in a trade, while the remaining prorated bonus of $9.75m in 2024 and 2025 would accelerate onto the 2023 cap, his $20.165m of 2023 salary shifts to the new team so we’d actually net a little over $10m in 2023 cap space.

But good luck supporting a rookie QB with a mid-round rookie WR, Terrace Marshall, Shi Smith, Ian Thomas, and whatever bargain bin WR you can find in FA with that extra $10m in cap space. That’s why I don’t think it makes sense to trade DJ. He’s on a very reasonable deal for his level of production. 

If you trade DJ to the Bears you are basically asking the new QB here to throw to targets worse then Justin Fields has had the last two years. Basically you’d be setting them up for failure. 

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Varking said:

If you trade DJ to the Bears you are basically asking the new QB here to throw to targets worse then Justin Fields has had the last two years. Basically you’d be setting them up for failure. 

My scenarios of trading DJ include keeping this year's 1st  and trading the 2024 1st or 2 2nds. I'd then draft Johnston at 9 to be the new WR1.

Young is too small to be an elite QB in the NFL.  He may give you a few games here and there.  But will be injured alot.  DE's and LB's are alot faster in the NFL than in college.  I think before we get to hype on one college QB we first need to find a coach and coaching staff to see what direction and style of QB they will go after.  Who knows, Corral may wind up being the answer.  We all will have to wait and see.

17 hours ago, ECHornet said:

I don’t want AR in the top 10 either, but I’d prefer him to Levis. Sad thing is I’m pretty sure Stetson Bennett is a better QB than AR right now and likely would be for most of their rookie contract. 

I just started my draft stuff........If you want a QB the only shot is using the 9th. Plus right now I dont have AR even making it to the 9th, different year and I feel teams will reach hard for QBs this year. Theres not a good "cream" group of WR, LT, CB, and Edge to knock down the top 4-5 QBs.......might as well take a risk on QB if no blue chips on the table.....

9 hours ago, south-paw said:

Young is too small to be an elite QB in the NFL.  He may give you a few games here and there.  But will be injured alot.  DE's and LB's are alot faster in the NFL than in college.  I think before we get to hype on one college QB we first need to find a coach and coaching staff to see what direction and style of QB they will go after.  Who knows, Corral may wind up being the answer.  We all will have to wait and see.

Why are people so convinced Young will stay injured when 45 year old, not fleet of foot Brady is able to survive the rigors of a full season? Sure, Tom is bigger but he also doesn't have the lean muscle mass support Bryce will in his lower twenties. Young isn't a Lamar or Fields who will be running constantly.

47 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I just started my draft stuff........If you want a QB the only shot is using the 9th. Plus right now I dont have AR even making it to the 9th, different year and I feel teams will reach hard for QBs this year. Theres not a good "cream" group of WR, LT, CB, and Edge to knock down the top 4-5 QBs.......might as well take a risk on QB if no blue chips on the table.....

You think 4 QBs go in the top 8? I think it's more likely that only two go in the top 8. I guess there's a lot that will play out between now and then so who knows.

26 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

You think 4 QBs go in the top 8? I think it's more likely that only two go in the top 8. I guess there's a lot that will play out between now and then so who knows.

Yes, right now I got 4 in the first 8 gone.....like you said its earlier and more can happen......crazy part is Im thinking about putting a 5th into the top 8-10..... Tanner McKee is getting hyped. 

Plus if you look at the top 8, 5 sorta need QBs......then theres trades and by many accounts bears will be moving the top pick to a QB needy team and they could be out of the top 10. You can not wait until 33 to pick a QB, all the talent/potential for the savior is nearly 0. You got to get in the top 8-10 for sure by my finding.  

I doubt I change my mind- 4 in the first 8 will be QBs. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Yes, right now I got 4 in the first 8 gone.....like you said its earlier and more can happen......crazy part is Im thinking about putting a 5th into the top 8-10..... Tanner McKee is getting hyped. 

Plus if you look at the top 8, 5 sorta need QBs......then theres trades and by many accounts bears will be moving the top pick to a QB needy team and they could be out of the top 10. You can not wait until 33 to pick a QB, all the talent/potential for the savior is nearly 0. You got to get in the top 8-10 for sure by my finding.  

I doubt I change my mind- 4 in the first 8 will be QBs. 

Bold. I respect it, but I hope we stay out of that frenzy unless Stroud or Young drop.

If 4/5 QBs go in the top 8, we would be in prime position to trade back and acquire more picks. #9 would have their pick of the best player at multiple positions if that happens. Or we could just stay put and select one of them.