• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post your 2023 Off-season Predictions!

Zod

52 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

You are calling CJ Stroud....ZACH F'N WILSON??? 

Funny GIF

You all are experts at missing the point....the point was trading up for the #2 ranked QB on the board which in 2021 was Wilson.  The risk that he ends up the same as Wilson are higher than him ending up like Trevor is the point.  Try and catch it. 

And don't you EVER use a meme from one of the most underrated movies of all time against me again...show respect to Face Off

35 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

My point wasn't their prospect rating - it was that the guy you trade up and draft could be either of those 2 possibilities while Carr is a known talent.  had nothing to do with Trevor's potential - it is his reality

You stated there is not one worth trading up for like a Lawrence.  Teams are never going to be able to trade up for picks like that because they aren't for sale.  Mahomes and Allen were question marks that teams traded up for.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You stated there is not one worth trading up for like a Lawrence.  Teams are never going to be able to trade up for picks like that because they aren't for sale.  Mahomes and Allen were question marks that teams traded up for.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Darnold, Trubisky are two examples - they went #3 and #2 in their drafts that teams gave up a ton thinking they were top tier franchise QB's.....yes it does happen.  But your last point was exactly what I said - you win some you lose some....but only some teams trade tons of picks for the risk and they usually regret it.....like the Jets and Bears.....who still suck because of it.

4 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

Because of the reasons I stated - our current draft position, teams ahead of us who need a QB, the cost of moving up, not the strongest QB options in the draft, the guys available in FA, cap space....

You don't overpay for a drafted QB just because you need a QB....if you don't see them as a long term Top 10 QB you don't draft them 9th....period.  Would you rather have 3 solid years of QB play and all our picks the next 2 years, or risk a QB bust giving up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to move up?  For reference here are 2 scenarios that are very possible with our current situation:

Option #1 - Carr, #1 WR in draft, #2 TE or #2 MLB

Option #2 - Zach Wilson (but looks like CJ Stroud), same WR's and TE's we have now cause you traded our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up

Option #1 is all but guaranteed real if you can get Carr - the draft picks aren't guaranteed to be special but you have a very good shot.  Option #2 you could get the next Zach Wilson or the next Trevor Lawrence....only about a 20-30% chance at best.....and you are guaranteed to lose 2 of the best prospects at their position to trade up for him.

Opinions differ, but I believe the smarter play given the situation we are in is my original post.  It isn't that I was bridge QB's - but I don't see the next Trevor, Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, or Jackson in this draft....certainly not enough to make me give up top picks to get Stroud over AR.  If it was 2021 I would gladly give up those picks for Trevor....even before this past season.....but none of these guys look like that.

Is Carr winning us a SB?

He has 1 playoff appearance in his entire career. 

We dont need anymore bridge QB's. We will never get our franchise QB that way. Im sorry but your plan is what we have been doing for 3 straight years.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Is Carr winning us a SB?

We dont need anymore bridge QB's. We will never get our franchise QB that way. Im sorry but your plan is what we have been doing for 3 straight years.

Bridging until you get a franchise QB is a very common strategy - and yes it does work.  There are tons of examples.  It's not like most of the teams in the NFL just go from franchise QB to franchise QB without bridges - they all do it. 

Some teams like Chicago and the Jets drop way too much draft stock and trade up to failure, some get lucky with Mr. Irrelevant.  But all of them sign bridge QB's while they try to find the next Franchise.

If you want to ignore the reality of the team's current situation and trade picks for one of these QB's that is fine, but don't act like bridge QB's until you get a true franchise QB in the draft is wrong - it happens every year with extremely successful franchises.

8 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Bridging until you get a franchise QB is a very common strategy - and yes it does work.  There are tons of examples.  It's not like most of the teams in the NFL just go from franchise QB to franchise QB without bridges - they all do it. 

Some teams like Chicago and the Jets drop way too much draft stock and trade up to failure, some get lucky with Mr. Irrelevant.  But all of them sign bridge QB's while they try to find the next Franchise.

If you want to ignore the reality of the team's current situation and trade picks for one of these QB's that is fine, but don't act like bridge QB's until you get a true franchise QB in the draft is wrong - it happens every year with extremely successful franchises.

There are 2 types of bridge QB's.

#1 The bridge QB who is good enough to get you a playoff appearance and not much else.

#2 The bridge QB who is at the end of his career who can get you a top 5 pick.

Derrick Carr is #1. He does nothing but get us a mid round pick. The same thing Sam Darnold would get us. If we going bridge go get a guy like Brissett who has experience in Frank's system and that we know we can get a top 5 pick with him.

I don't see any appeal to Derrick Carr. He's simply not good enough to take your team anywhere. You think he's going to do any better than he did in Vegas?

We don't have the best WR in football and a top 5 TE. Vegas moved on for a reason.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Is Carr winning us a SB?

Im not a big Carr fan, but this is a fact. Since he entered the league, the raiders have had the 32nd defense. That puts alllllll sort of pressure on QBs, bring out the worst hero ball. 

5 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

You all are experts at missing the point....the point was trading up for the #2 ranked QB on the board which in 2021 was Wilson.  The risk that he ends up the same as Wilson are higher than him ending up like Trevor is the point.  Try and catch it. 

And don't you EVER use a meme from one of the most underrated movies of all time against me again...show respect to Face Off

Ummm....

Mike Myers No GIF

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

There are 2 types of bridge QB's.

#1 The bridge QB who is good enough to get you a playoff appearance and not much else.

#2 The bridge QB who is at the end of his career who can get you a top 5 pick.

Derrick Carr is #1. He does nothing but get us a mid round pick. The same thing Sam Darnold would get us. If we going bridge go get a guy like Brissett who has experience in Frank's system and that we know we can get a top 5 pick with him.

I don't see any appeal to Derrick Carr. He's simply not good enough to take your team anywhere. You think he's going to do any better than he did in Vegas?

We don't have the best WR in football and a top 5 TE. Vegas moved on for a reason.

We also don't have a terrible oline and one of the worst defenses in the NFL like the Raiders do. And pretty sure Waller and Renfrow were hurt a good half of the year.

I don't get the hate for Carr. Yes, I'd rather draft our QB than go after a FA, but Carr is better than a bridge QB IMO. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that he has the most game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL since 2015, which gives you an idea of how terrible their defense has been since 2015. It's not his fault he played for probably the most dysfunctional NFL team for his entire career so far that has made countless terrible draft picks and many terrible FA signings.

4 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

We also don't have a terrible oline and one of the worst defenses in the NFL like the Raiders do. And pretty sure Waller and Renfrow were hurt a good half of the year.

I don't get the hate for Carr. Yes, I'd rather draft our QB than go after a FA, but Carr is better than a bridge QB IMO. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that he has the most game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL since 2015, which gives you an idea of how terrible their defense has been since 2015. It's not his fault he played for probably the most dysfunctional NFL team for his entire career so far that has made countless terrible draft picks and many terrible FA signings.

He's not better than a bridge. And we don't need better than a bridge. We need a franchise QB!

Carr is going to lead us nowhere but looking for another QB.

If he was more than a bridge the Raiders wouldn't be moving on. 

• Pie 1