• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So which QB do we think will be available at #9?

NAS

15 hours ago, NAS said:

I think the most clarity anyone can have about a QB class is right after the season and before all the combine and pro day nonsense where terrible quarterbacks like Zach Wilson somehow get hyped into getting drafted second overall.   All you need to see in a quarterback is watching situational football in real games.  

In that case, give me Stetson Bennett 

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

This is not the time to go on the defense tirade for Fields. He is an elite runner but he cant stay healthy, nor throw and protect the football. 

I mean, Justin Fields is a raw talent when passing the football yes but if you look at his totals in an offense that doesn't have a great offensive line or receiving threat, he had a pretty damn good season.

He only threw the ball 318 times in 15 games. He completed 60.4% of his passes and avg'd 7.1 YPP. Not amazing numbers but not bad either for someone who is as great of a rushing threat as he is. He had 3300 total yards 25 TDs and 11 INTs in a less than stellar offense. His numbers are actually similar to Cam's in NE (3300 total yards 21 TDs). On paper the stats look bad but when you break it down and consider the offense they are playing in and who they have around them it makes a huge difference. Fields will be a good/great QB for Chicago if he can stay healthy and they upgrade the players around him.

To the OP I think our best bet if we want a QB would be to move up 3 spots to the Lions pick. Texans will probably draft a QB, Colts forsure will be taking a QB, Seahawks could also possibly take one. If they don't and Richardson or Stroud are available at 6 I think we have to make the call.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I mean, Justin Fields is a raw talent when passing the football yes but if you look at his totals in an offense that doesn't have a great offensive line or receiving threat, he had a pretty damn good season.

He only threw the ball 318 times in 15 games. He completed 60.4% of his passes and avg'd 7.1 YPP. Not amazing numbers but not bad either for someone who is as great of a rushing threat as he is. He had 3300 total yards 25 TDs and 11 INTs in a less than stellar offense. His numbers are actually similar to Cam's in NE (3300 total yards 21 TDs). On paper the stats look bad but when you break it down and consider the offense they are playing in and who they have around them it makes a huge difference. Fields will be a good/great QB for Chicago if he can stay healthy and they upgrade the players around him.

To the OP I think our best bet if we want a QB would be to move up 3 spots to the Lions pick. Texans will probably draft a QB, Colts forsure will be taking a QB, Seahawks could also possibly take one. If they don't and Richardson or Stroud are available at 6 I think we have to make the call.

The Bears did have a great OL this year according to this:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams?platform=amp

Top 5 in both pass and run block win rate. 

Edited by ECHornet

I think we pass on the first rounders,  none of them look like world beaters. If Stetson Bennett is still sitting there in the third round, I think we take a flyer on him.

The guy is smaller, but you've got to take a winner when you see one. The kid wins against the best competition in the NCAA. That has to mean something.

• Pie 2

On 1/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, Panthers8969 said:

Hendon hooker. Some guy from east western north state university. Certainly no one good 

Who, based on his age and ACL injury, could be there in the third.  I have no problem with a QB between the ages of 26-29 (actual playing years) on a first contract.   Everyone wants a young QB to develop and keep for 15 years, but I am a firm believer that you can win in the NFL with a strong line, strong defense, good running backs, and good but not great QB.

What happens with a 21 year old college star, is that there is immediate pressure to play and you are on a bad team.  Bad D, bad OL, etc.  When I was 22 I was not mature enough to handle all that learning and responsibility--I would have busted, in all likelihood, based on my maturity alone.

• Pie 3

On 1/10/2023 at 7:22 AM, ECHornet said:

The Bears did have a great OL this year according to this:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams?platform=amp

Top 5 in both pass and run block win rate. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/12/21/that-bears-offensive-line-is-getting-yet-another-makeover/

The problem is they constantly had injuries and were rotating players around every week.  This is from December 21 where they were cracking the top 10, but the following week Fields took 12 hits (6 were sacks) and PFF put no blame on Fields for any of the hits/sacks.  Considering how few times he passes in that offense getting hit 12 times and sacked 6 should have had them drop in their rankings, but apparently it didn't?  Makes me wonder if it's something like blown assignments or defenses sending more players than we have blockers.  

OL also ranks is a top need for them in the offseason, which wouldn't make sense if they were a true top 10.  Both lines and WRs are they biggest needs.

https://theathletic.com/4018874/2022/12/20/bears-offseason-needs-wide-receiver/

I still think one of the top 4 guys is there around pick 9. Some of the teams in front of us will make a play on a Vet like Carr or talk themselves into the general plan we had the last 3 years. If Chicago takes a QB and deals Fields I don’t think they get the same haul as trading out of the #1 spot so I still think they keep Fields and get more players to put around him which they desperately need.

If we don't have to more up more than 2 or 3 spots then it shouldn't cost us our future so if it's a dud pick we can just take another swing

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Who, based on his age and ACL injury, could be there in the third.  I have no problem with a QB between the ages of 26-29 (actual playing years) on a first contract.   Everyone wants a young QB to develop and keep for 15 years, but I am a firm believer that you can win in the NFL with a strong line, strong defense, good running backs, and good but not great QB.

What happens with a 21 year old college star, is that there is immediate pressure to play and you are on a bad team.  Bad D, bad OL, etc.  When I was 22 I was not mature enough to handle all that learning and responsibility--I would have busted, in all likelihood, based on my maturity alone.

I think the real mystery here is what has Matt Corral been up to since he hurt his foot?  Has been able to put on good weight?  Has he been in the QB room and learning from the defensive meetings?  If you don't try to develop him, essentially we have tossed away two 3rd round picks. Honestly, wasting 3rd rounders is a Panther's tradition... Grier, Gaulden, Dasehon Hall, Darryl Worley, Terell Mclain, Sione Fua, Armanite Edwards.  Jury is still out on Tremble.  The only good ones I see going back to 2010 was BC and Trey Turner.

The only QB in the draft I would consider a trade for is CJ Stroud.  I would only attempt to trade as high as Arizona, and only offer the year's 2nd and at most next year's 2nd as compensation if I was 100% sold on him.  I truly believe that running it back with Sam, Matt, and possibly bringing Gardner Minshew into the fold would be our best option.

If we did that, we could trade back in the first, land somewhere from the late teens to early 20's, collect an additional 1st for next year along with an extra 4th or 5th round pick in an effort to make a bold yet calculated move towards the top for whatever QB we like in 2024.  If so, sign me up.  Our roster still needs additional depth in other areas that FA isn't guaranteed to address.  This QB class isn't it.  I would much rather take a gamble on Williams, Maye, Penix, or even Quin Ewers at their current level of play over anyone aside from C.J. Stroud in this year's draft. 

Heck, what if all Darnold or Minshew needs is a solid o-line and a stout defense to grow?  Sam isn't the long term answer in my opinion, but he's showing improvement and could fill the void and allow the team to grow into success while we search for the QB of the future that can thrive with an established roster.  Build the roster, ride out a sweet 5 year rookie contract, then pay the piper when he comes calling.