• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold had the 13th worst QB win in NFL history if we measured passer rating

ENC Pantherfan

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

it's flawed to take his small sample size run that over the course of a season and act like it means something.  As we saw in NY and last year in Carolina.  The more time he is on the field the worse it gets for him. 

Sam has never been an average NFL starter in the NFL.   And he has enough proof of that where you can't sell cherry picked games like it could somehow happen.  He is a vet.   You would be signing a bad QB to backup money.  

Saying that Sam played well enough to take a 1-5 team to almost making the Playoffs. That is a fact. And he deserves some credit for that.

That said. I'm in the camp of play Matt, or the rookie, and tank for ????

1 minute ago, CRA said:

But he isn't.  That's the point. 

Nothing average about being a below 60% completion QB in the modern-day NFL....while not being a game changing running QB. 

and Sam isn't a 60% compeltion QB.  Not this year.  Not last year.  Not the year before.  Not over his career. 

Average in today's NFL is like 65%. 

What is Corrall's?  I'lll wait.

11 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Darnold enters, puts up the best stats of his career, and we go 4-2. That's back up worthy.

Darnold had the 2nd worst completion % of his career this year.   And it's a bad career.  He didn't break 175 yards in half his starts. 

We had some of the best rushing numbers in franchise history once Matt Rhule got fired.   That's why we won some games.  Nothing to do with who played QB.  Wilks won in spite of QB play.   Which he should get some respect for.   

This Sam Darnold talk is about is crazy as those folks who were pimping Matt Rhule as good entering this year.  Just fantasy talk.  Or just bored trolling.  Which I get given there isn't much else to do I guess. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Darnold had the 2nd worst completion % of his career this year.   And it's a bad career.  He didn't break 175 yards in half his starts. 

We had some of the best rushing numbers in franchise history once Matt Rhule got fired.   That's why we won some games.  Nothing to do with who played QB.  Wilks won in spite of QB play.   Which he should get some respect for. 

This Sam Darnold talk is about is crazy as those folks who were pimping Matt Rhule as good entering this year.  Just fantasy talk.  Or just bored trolling.  Which I get given there isn't much else to do I guess. 

So the team went from 1-5 to almost making the Playoffs. And Sam gets absolutely none of the credit? Zip, nada, zilch credit?

That is a yes or no question. I don't need anything else. I know your stance. So just answer the question.

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

What is Corrall's?  I'lll wait.

I guess you are choosing to wait on that instead of addressing how he isn't average.  Which was your declaration.  Despite it being statistically untrue .  Nothing average about 50 something completion rate in today's NFL. 

Corral hasn't played a NFL snap.  You know, hurt developmental rookie and all.  Which somehow you are trying to pretend is comparable to verified busted Sam Darnold. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

We played 12 games after Rhule was fired. 2-4 in games without Darnold at QB. 4-2 with Darnold. Same coaches. Same running game. 

His completion percentage was tanked by his last game. I haven't been able to watch it yet, but seems like it was terrible. That's still the only big QB stat that was bad from him this year. He also had more yards per attempt than most NFL QBs (#2) so you would expect a slightly lower completion %. But you go on with your eye test assessment of Darnold 2022 and ignore all the stats that show he was decent.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

So the team went from 1-5 to almost making the Playoffs. And Sam gets absolutely none of the credit? Zip, nada, zilch credit?

That is a yes or no question. I don't need anything else. I know your stance. So just answer the question.

I mean, techincally the punter gets credit.  JJ gets credit.  Shi Smith.  Anyone that played rep technically gets credit.  Sam gets what they get. 

If you actually had to rank in importance of how Wilks got his wins and salvaged a disaster.  He minimized the QB play.  He ran the ball.  He played conservative.  QB play isn't why we won.  We had bad/weak QB play and Wilks managed games around that fact. 

• Pie 1

Just now, ECHornet said:

We played 12 games after Rhule was fired. 2-4 in games without Darnold at QB. 4-2 with Darnold. Same coaches. Same running game. 

This isn't true. 

We averaged like 80 something rushing yards under Matt Rhule.  We averaged 150+ with Wilks.  It wasn't the same coaching.  It wasn't the same gameplans.  And the one CMC game Wilks had with CMC technically brought his overall rushing numbers down slightly.  

We won because we ran.  We lost because we didn't.  And when Rhule did run, it was a poo RPO heavy scheme.  Which is why Wilks has significantly more production with inferior RBs. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

This isn't true. 

We averaged like 80 something rushing yards under Matt Rhule.  We averaged 150+ with Wilks.  It wasn't the same coaching.  It wasn't the same gameplans.  And the one CMC game Wilks had with CMC technically brought his overall rushing numbers down slightly.  

We won because we ran.  We lost because we didn't.  And when Rhule did run, it was a poo RPO heavy scheme.  Which is why Wilks has significantly more production with inferior RBs. 

Wasn't referring to before Rhule was fired. I was talking about the 12 games after (6 without Darnold; 6 with)

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

I guess you are choosing to wait on that instead of addressing how he isn't average.  Which was your declaration.  Despite it being statistically untrue .  Nothing average about 50 something completion rate in today's NFL. 

Corral hasn't played a NFL snap.  You know, hurt developmental rookie and all.  Which somehow you are trying to pretend is comparable to verified busted Sam Darnold. 

Take out the NO game and Sam was like 61%.  He had a bad game, every QB does.  Bingo, Corral hasn't played an NFL snap. The unknown is always better, right?  What if *gasp* Corral sucks? The Huddle has this fantasy with projecting players to be the next best thing--until they are not.  Corral is likely to either be okay or suck.  The margin is slim for him to be good-to-great. But hey, put him a pedestal before he takes his first regular season snap...it's what the Huddle does and what makes the vitriol so bad regarding players.  Just because you build them up and they don't live up to your expectations resulting in slamming of the players after the fact.

I'm good with Corral starting next year, but we better have a backup--well you know--if one is eventually 'required' in a benching scenario.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, techincally the punter gets credit.  JJ gets credit.  Shi Smith.  Anyone that played rep technically gets credit.  Sam gets what they get. 

If you actually had to rank in importance of how Wilks got his wins and salvaged a disaster.  He minimized the QB play.  He ran the ball.  He played conservative.  QB play isn't why we won.  We had bad/weak QB play and Wilks managed games around that fact. 

I asked a simple yes or no question, and you can't even do that without it having to be quantified. 

You'd probably cut off your thumb than give Sam the credit he deserves for almost getting us into the Playoffs. 

Who cares what he was. Those last 6 games were exciting. Well, 5-6 I guess. 

Bye

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

The Darnold fans in this thread make the average New York Jets fan look like they're Mensa members.

This has to be the most bizarre thread in the history of the huddle.  Some weird fuging takes going on here.  Are they really arguing that darnold is a top 15 qb?  What in the holy fug is wrong with you people and this is after a historically bad performance.  What the fug have you guys been watching the last few weeks? 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Depends on the money, I guess. It sure didn't sound like he was a part of Fitt's plan from what was posted in the Presser thread.

yeah.  Sounds like Fitt will just let Sam walk and not even bother to speak with him for even a backup role.