• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold had the 13th worst QB win in NFL history if we measured passer rating

ENC Pantherfan

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Four passer ratings above 103 in five games before that? Yeah, that's a good backup QB.

Good backup QBs can't do it for longer than that (bad ones like PJ can't do it more than once or twice), which is why I said he was going to struggle.

Handing the ball off to a backfield putting up historic rushing numbers does not make a QB a good backup. If you can't trust a guy who has all that arm talent you don't have a quarterback. Keep looking.

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

Handing the ball off to a backfield putting up historic rushing numbers does not make a QB a good backup. If you can't trust a guy who has all that arm talent you don't have a quarterback. Keep looking.

Backup QBs are expected to manage games while the starter is out and do what it takes to win. He did that. They're not gonna throw for 325 yards every week, because if they did, they wouldn't be backup QBs in the first place. 

I'll say this: if you tell me our rookie QB, this fall, has 7 TD and 1 INT in his first five starts, I'm gonna say he's pretty solid, even if it's based on a great running game. In the event that QB is a veteran, I'm still gonna say a 7-1 TD-INT ratio is solid.

This team hasn't had a starting or backup-level QB for years. Darnold is better than a lot of trash backups out there. I wouldn't go into Week 1 with him tops on a depth chart, though. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

Backup QBs are expected to manage games while the starter is out and do what it takes to win. He did that. They're not gonna throw for 325 yards every week, because if they did, they wouldn't be backup QBs in the first place. 

I'll say this: if you tell me our rookie QB, this fall, has 7 TD and 1 INT in his first five starts, I'm gonna say he's pretty solid, even if it's based on a great running game. In the event that QB is a veteran, I'm still gonna say a 7-1 TD-INT ratio is solid.

This team hasn't had a starting or backup-level QB for years. Darnold is better than a lot of trash backups out there. I wouldn't go into Week 1 with him tops on a depth chart, though. 

Everyone in the QB room not named Corral needs to go. Clean slate.

• Pie 1

Someone posted Sam’s stats, and I noticed that completion %. So, since it’s been below 60% in every season but one, can we now say he’s a QB that doesn’t process well; as well as, an inaccurate one. 

With those 2 flaws, why would we want to bring him back? Many of the posters who are cool with the possibility of Sam coming back, were the main ones who always complained about our past QBs accuracy. Sam appears to be worse in that category. 

Let’s move on. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Someone posted Sam’s stats, and I noticed that completion %. So, since it’s been below 60% in every season but one, can we now say he’s a QB that doesn’t process well; as well as, an inaccurate one. 

With those 2 flaws, why would we want to bring him back? Many of the posters who are cool with the possibility of Sam coming back, were the main ones who always complained about our past QBs accuracy. Sam appears to be worse in that category. 

Let’s move on. 

Yep. We finally get Newton out of here and standards go out the window again.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

Wilks never said a bad word about either QB we aren't talking about him we are talking about these looney tune fans. At some point you can only attribute the Darnold infatuation to either mental illness or..other factors. It damn sure isn’t his record. He hasn't won a game in a 4th quarter on his own going on four years now. But you keep at it pooping posts fella.

Technically, he led a game winning drive as recently as [checks notes]…Sunday. 

No one is infatuated with Darnold. Saying he performed well enough this year to deserve a backup QB contract is not infatuation. It’s showing a capability of common sense that you’re lacking in this thread. There aren’t 15 better backup QBs in the NFL better than Darnold. Keeping him around for cheap would give us an above average backup QB situation. 

If you think having that opinion must be based on racism, I won’t stand in your way. Let the hate flow through you. 

13 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Let’s move on. 

Cam’s career completion % was 59.9%. Sam’s is 59.7%. Both are below what you want from your starting QB. 

Now a backup QB? I can live with it as long as other numbers are there. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Cam’s career completion % was 59.9%. Sam’s is 59.7%. Both are below what you want from your starting QB. 

That’s cool, and I agree with your first paragraph. I’m not down with the 2nd. My backup can’t be both inaccurate and have serious issues with processing what they’re seeing on the field. 

And, as long we’re being consistent with our labeling, I’m cool. If you’re going to call one inaccurate, and point to his numbers as proof, then we need to do the same with others that display those same %’s.

27 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Let’s move on. 

I'm sure it wasn't his fault. Much like any of his failings, it was some other factor that caused him to fail.

I hope the organization is at least intelligent enough to move on, even if some of the fans aren't.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, frankw said:

You don't give ten million dollars to a short term solution who just had one of the worst QB performances in league history because he's a nice guy. That's what people are arguing maybe read the posts of folks you are aligned with more. They are your people.

If we resign Darnold, he’ll be starting you idiot. 10 million is almost cutting his existing contract in half, how hard is that to understand? Everyone knows the real reason you hate Sam and it’s not performance based, so GTFO…

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

If we resign Darnold, he’ll be starting you idiot. 10 million is almost cutting his existing contract in half, how hard is that to understand? Everyone knows the real reason you hate Sam and it’s not performance based, so GTFO…

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b6cc59609b429d59b0b691caa850d7f0ab8f4d8040b169c31c378b70f8c1014a/1280/https://media3.giphy.com/media/KRxcgvd5fLiWk/200.gif

Oh do tell please.

Edited by frankw

17 hours ago, frankw said:

Seems we have some folks here who could use the kind of care only an inpatient psychiatric facility could provide.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Wilks never said a bad word about either QB we aren't talking about him we are talking about these looney tune fans. At some point you can only attribute the Darnold infatuation to either mental illness or..other factors. It damn sure isn’t his record. He hasn't won a game in a 4th quarter on his own going on four years now. But you keep at it pooping posts fella.

Still having a difficult time not insulting ppl with a differing opinion I see.

Not one person wants Sam back as our starter. But don't let that stop you from a good insult. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Yeah, the Sam haters are a funny lot. Their hatred is so ingrained they can't think straight and go after anything that is not negative,

Even though not one person has said they want Sam back as a starter. You see how that fact escapes them, and they go off their rockers. Funny really how they always think insulting is the answer.

Same with Rhule. If you said anything remotely positive. They get so upset they get kinda freaky. And not in the good way.