• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Under No Circumstances Should We Trade a Haul for a QB/Pick

tukafan21

The more I think about this situation I think if Young and Stroud go Top 5 we should just sit tight and take Richardson at 9.  He has upside and although I hate taking a college QB with 54% comp percentage he does bring a lot of upside.

If he interviews well and shows the needed desire to really improve his passing he could be a star.  We will probably have to wait on him though or watch him throws lots of INTs early on

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

37 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The more I think about this situation I think if Young and Stroud go Top 5 we should just sit tight and take Richardson at 9.  He has upside and although I hate taking a college QB with 54% comp percentage he does bring a lot of upside.

If he interviews well and shows the needed desire to really improve his passing he could be a star.  We will probably have to wait on him though or watch him throws lots of INTs early on

Could possibly have a Josh Allen trajectory.  Bad first two years getting acclimated to the NFL and then boom

Herbert…should’ve offered more for him.

Next thread up, Panthers haven’t traded to draft a QB since Cam left and how that has worked so far.

Seriously. We know a worthwhile FA isn’t coming here. We also know this team won’t tank properly. 

Soooooo what do you propose exactly? Keep sifting through trash?

I said the day Tepper took over and Cam left this franchise won’t turn around until it started taking chances at DRAFTING a QB and I stand by it.

I’d rather take the chance.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 3

On 1/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, tukafan21 said:

Has anyone ever actually looked back on those trades? 

They NEVER work out for that team, if they occasionally did it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try, but they just don't ever work out.  Two reasons for it, the first being that you give up way too many assets that are needed to build up a bad team and the second is because it's usually not for a sure fire stud prospect, or else the team with the pick would just take them and trade their current QB.

The closest to ever working out would be Stafford last year, and that haul was really more to take back Goff's contract as it was for Stafford.  Plus, without them winning the SB that would be a really bad looking deal right now considering the current state of the Rams and that top draft pick now going to the Lions.

Here's the ones that I can remember off the top of my head from at least recent memory.....

Russel Wilson - Not looking great so far

Deshawn Watson - Not looking great so far

Trey Lance - Not looking great so far

Goff - Sure, they got to a SB with him, but he clearly wasn't the reason why, the best thing he did for them was get them the QB who did win them a SB

Wentz - Sure, they got a SB a couple years later when he was playing like an MVP, but he didn't actually win them the SB and then crapped out right after

RG3 - Maybe it works if he doesn't get hurt at the end of his rookie year, but his body/style of play was never going to hold up in the NFL anyways

Trubisky - Clearly did not work at all

Darnold - best thing he did for the Jets was fleecing us in a trade for him

The only outlier to this where it worked out would be Mahomes, but even at that, I'm not sure giving up a 3rd rounder and a single future 1st rounder to move from 27th to 10th is really giving up a haul for that pick anyways.

Yes, I know we clearly need to fix the QB problem, but doing it this way just never works, we need to find the right free agent or cheaper trade (like Carr maybe), or stand pat and hope to strike gold with our own pick or a minimal trade to move up to get one we like.  

Correct, we should not this draft.

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

Herbert…should’ve offered more for him.

Next thread up, Panthers haven’t traded to draft a QB since Cam left and how that has worked so far.

Seriously. We know a worthwhile FA isn’t coming here. We also know this team won’t tank properly. 

Soooooo what do you propose exactly? Keep sifting through trash?

I said the day Tepper took over and Cam left this franchise won’t turn around until it started taking chances at DRAFTING a QB and I stand by it.

I’d rather take the chance.

That's a fair point and simply making this roster better by adding Mayer/DE/WR with our top top plus filling other needs in the following rounds will probably just leave us picking even later next season and cost a lot more to move up and draft a QB.  

I'm pretty sure one of the big 4 (Young, Stroud, Levis, AR) will be there at 9, if they start going quicker then try to trade up and draft one.  If that picks busts try it again in a year or two.  

• Pie 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, tukafan21 said:

Has anyone ever actually looked back on those trades? 

They NEVER work out for that team, if they occasionally did it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try, but they just don't ever work out.  Two reasons for it, the first being that you give up way too many assets that are needed to build up a bad team and the second is because it's usually not for a sure fire stud prospect, or else the team with the pick would just take them and trade their current QB.

The closest to ever working out would be Stafford last year, and that haul was really more to take back Goff's contract as it was for Stafford.  Plus, without them winning the SB that would be a really bad looking deal right now considering the current state of the Rams and that top draft pick now going to the Lions.

Here's the ones that I can remember off the top of my head from at least recent memory.....

Russel Wilson - Not looking great so far

Deshawn Watson - Not looking great so far

Trey Lance - Not looking great so far

Goff - Sure, they got to a SB with him, but he clearly wasn't the reason why, the best thing he did for them was get them the QB who did win them a SB

Wentz - Sure, they got a SB a couple years later when he was playing like an MVP, but he didn't actually win them the SB and then crapped out right after

RG3 - Maybe it works if he doesn't get hurt at the end of his rookie year, but his body/style of play was never going to hold up in the NFL anyways

Trubisky - Clearly did not work at all

Darnold - best thing he did for the Jets was fleecing us in a trade for him

The only outlier to this where it worked out would be Mahomes, but even at that, I'm not sure giving up a 3rd rounder and a single future 1st rounder to move from 27th to 10th is really giving up a haul for that pick anyways.

Yes, I know we clearly need to fix the QB problem, but doing it this way just never works, we need to find the right free agent or cheaper trade (like Carr maybe), or stand pat and hope to strike gold with our own pick or a minimal trade to move up to get one we like.  

Goff has never won a SB.