• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

M Kaye Observer HC candidates pros and cons

raleigh-panther

7 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Since he took over this year our defense had the biggest second half drop off in the nfl I believe.

The Panthers defense was their strong suit this season. The stats don't necessarily reflect it, but a struggling offense often times forced them to be on the field a great deal longer than one would expect with an even middling offense.

29 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

The Panthers defense was their strong suit this season. The stats don't necessarily reflect it, but a struggling offense often times forced them to be on the field a great deal longer than one would expect with an even middling offense.

I am specifically talking about a thing someone posted a week or so ago talking about most improved and units who declined the most and the Panthers defense regressed a lot in the second half of the season specifically.   Most of that is tied to Snow being a superior dc to Holcombe but still.  Hes tied to the hip with Wilks.

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

After further reflection, if Steve Wilks gets a 3 year contract it wouldn't upset me.  He did rather well this season, especially considering what he had to work with. 

With his years in the NFL, I don't doubt he could build a decent coaching staff and we already know he is a great motivator and leader of young men.  My biggest worry (with only a small sample size) is what appears to be an aversion to taking risks when the game/season is on the line. 

Yes, offense is important, but NFL history has numerous examples of teams with high scoring offenses that failed to win the SB for a lack of a dominant defense.

Gotta agree with you in respects to having reservations about his chances of success.

I've gone back and forth about him being the coach if I'm being completely honest. I've questioned a lot of his defenses and his approach over his time here. He's conservative, sometimes to a fault. There are a lot of things I could use to convince myself that he's not the guy.

So now I look at things from a different perspective. The Tampa game was just bad. He let that game get out of hand.  His hands were tied with the players he could put on the field. He was limited on a lot of things. His mistake was not preventing his exposed weakness in his defense. If he trusted others to correct it is irrelevant when the clock hit zero.

Against the Saints I saw a conservative approach again but it's now most certainly necessary because... well, you just don't want to get skull drug the last game of the season.  Especially looking at what you're getting ready to put out there.

But what really got me questioning his approach was the last 2 drives of the game.  He burned a lot of clock in each drive when there was little time left to begin with.  Especially the way they've played all game.  Some of it I understood and sort of agreed with because we definitely couldn't win a shoot out, but that last drive he let the clock run and didn't flinch until they had to stop it. That is not conservative, that's a gambler. He took a chance that they had enough time to get close enough to kick the field goal with no time left. 

So sometimes some perspective is needed in evaluating each situation. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, emcannon said:

Tepper won't hire Wilks unless he's able to bring on board a brilliant OC. The other candidates are a strong indication of that.

I don’t think it will matter much. Seems like Wilks has a firm idea around what our offense should look like. You can bring in whoever we want but Wilks will have their balls in a vice.

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Steichen is my top choice (assuming reports on Harbaugh being out are true)

Young coordinators like Steichen can sometimes be miscast as Head Coaches. There’s always a risk that a hotshot Coordinator like him is a better fit for the play-calling job instead of the Head Coach position.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

I am leaning this way as well.  

I said before, if tepper lands Steichen, id forgive the rhule fumble.......

But my fellow bear had some interesting comments- @Bear Hands were did you read he was "off" "weird" or "not adjusted"? Not thats its a deal breaker or nothing, but i am curious.. 

Jim Harbaugh

Current position: University of Michigan head coach

Pros: On paper, Harbaugh checks off a ton of boxes in the modern NFL. He is a former NFL quarterback who played 15 seasons in the league. He’s also a sound offensive mind and a proven developer of the quarterback position.

His success at both the college (132-52) and NFL (44-19-1) levels is unparalleled within the current scope of the coaching carousel and his four-year stint in San Francisco led to three NFC title game appearances and a run to a Super Bowl, which the 49ers lost by 3 points. He never had a losing season with the 49ers.

Cons: While his resume and win totals are pretty, the end of his tenure in San Francisco was ugly. Harbaugh reportedly lost a power struggle with the 49ers’ front office and ownership and was let go after an 8-8 season. Despite his accomplishments, he was passed over for the Minnesota Vikings’ head coaching gig last year for Kevin O’Connell, who had never been a head coach before. 

Harbaugh is known for wanting overarching control wherever he’s gone, which is an outlook that the Panthers just dealt with during Rhule’s failed tenure. Hiring Harbaugh could cause a massive shakeup of the front office structure as well. He’s also gained a reputation of leveraging NFL interest for bigger contract extensions at Michigan, which could lead to a waste of time in the Panthers’ search

The focus on the Vikings as a con isn't substantive and is a purely overblown take to be seriously considered a "con" worthy of mention.

Ok, if you didn't know geniuses and people that are very very good at stuff are usually odd sometimes very awkward folk with laser focus.

Bill Belichick is odd. A very different guy. A guy with 6 rings. That's not normal.

Normal ISN'T what we want here. GREAT isn't normal.

Jim Harbaugh 2023

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Gotta agree with you in respects to having reservations about his chances of success.

I've gone back and forth about him being the coach if I'm being completely honest. I've questioned a lot of his defenses and his approach over his time here. He's conservative, sometimes to a fault. There are a lot of things I could use to convince myself that he's not the guy.

So now I look at things from a different perspective. The Tampa game was just bad. He let that game get out of hand.  His hands were tied with the players he could put on the field. He was limited on a lot of things. His mistake was not preventing his exposed weakness in his defense. If he trusted others to correct it is irrelevant when the clock hit zero.

Against the Saints I saw a conservative approach again but it's now most certainly necessary because... well, you just don't want to get skull drug the last game of the season.  Especially looking at what you're getting ready to put out there.

But what really got me questioning his approach was the last 2 drives of the game.  He burned a lot of clock in each drive when there was little time left to begin with.  Especially the way they've played all game.  Some of it I understood and sort of agreed with because we definitely couldn't win a shoot out, but that last drive he let the clock run and didn't flinch until they had to stop it. That is not conservative, that's a gambler. He took a chance that they had enough time to get close enough to kick the field goal with no time left. 

So sometimes some perspective is needed in evaluating each situation. 

To be real honest, I don’t think either team tried to win that game ..if you know what I’m saying 

the Saints were just better at it, I mean when is the last time that kicker missed like that …more than once …at home 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

To be real honest, I don’t think either team tried to win that game ..if you know what I’m saying 

the Saints were just better at it, I mean when is the last time that kicker missed like that 

I doubt that.  No one wants to end the season with an L. It's just how it played out.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 2

Also, before he took the San Fran job the media was asking if Harbaugh could work with that sh*t show if a disfunctional front office.

He lead them to greatness. Dominance. Despite the naysayers Jim Harbaugh reached out to the Panthers first, to let them know they were #1 or 1b on his list.

Relax. He'll hit the interview circuit, save the Panthers visit for last.