• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aaron Rodgers is back where he wants to be: In the middle of the drama

ladypanther

Green Bay is again the NFL’s epicenter of offseason drama, turmoil and palace intrigue. Another Packers season ended sooner than expected — without so much as a playoff berth in the lackluster NFC to show for it — and Aaron Rodgers, the Packers’ unquestioned leader in passive aggressive performative arts, is at it again, only bereft of any MVP votes to his name this time around.

Sunday night, and already Rodgers was oscillating about his future, this after consecutive offseasons of warring with Green Bay’s front office and hinting at retirement only to sign a record three-year, $150 million contract 10 months ago. 

...... “I think he wants out, and I think he wants to show them he can still play somewhere else,” the executive said. “They would give him away now just to get out of that contract and play Love. They wouldn’t get much for him.”

One NFL general manager, under similar restrictions, said: “He’s going to try to do what [Tom] Brady did [when he left New England] and get where he thinks he can win a Super Bowl right away. But he looks old to me. I think he’s done.”

Even with at least half the league either in dire need of a quarterback or with at least one eye on a potential upgrade, it will be difficult for the Packers to force much compensation in return if Rodgers is dealt. His already poor statistical season actually got worse down the stretch, he has become accustomed to dictating personnel decisions to the front office, and he carries what might be the second-worst contract in the NFL  (Rodgers — who ranked 16th in passer rating, 23rd in yards per attempt, 20th in completion percentage and 14th in touchdown-to-interception rate this season — pocketed $42 million along the way, the fifth-most cash earned in the league, according to Spotrac. He is due a staggering $59.5 million fully guaranteed in 2023 — nearly $20 million more than MVP favorite Patrick Mahomes)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/14/aaron-rodgers-future-packers/

I imagine some in Green Bay are ready to move on.

• Pie 1

Jesus Christ - 60 million fully guaranteed!  What team in their right mind would make a trade for that albatross of a contract?  Green Bay might be screwed on that one.  Whoever did make a trade would have to work out some sort of very creative extension just to field a team around Rodgers. 

• Pie 1

I like Aaron.  He keeps it real.  God forbid if a man is honest about how he feels.  There is nothing he has said that's indicated he isn't a decent guy.  All he has done is have is own opinion, while going out of is way to let people know that it's okay if they don't agree.

Most of the hate towards him is politically motivated, it's not real world.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I like Aaron.  He keeps it real.  God forbid if a man is honest about how he feels.  There is nothing he has said that's indicated he isn't a decent guy.  All he has done is have is own opinion, while going out of is way to let people know that it's okay if they don't agree.

Most of the hate towards him is politically motivated, it's not real world.

There was a significant amount of off field poo that didnt put him in the best light, in particular with his family, well before he forced himself into the politics of COVID.

Ive thought very lowly of him as a human being since the mid-2010s

33 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

There was a significant amount of off field poo that didnt put him in the best light, in particular with his family, well before he forced himself into the politics of COVID.

Ive thought very lowly of him as a human being since the mid-2010s

I'm leery of your opinion.

Turning down a vaccination isn't forcing yourself onto anybody.  He never condemned anyone who believed in the vaccination.

How did he force himself into the politics of Covid? It looked like he was dragged into it because the powers that be didn't like his view. 

In retrospect he wasn't wrong.  I got the vac for work but it was a hard decision for me and I'm not sure it made any difference in the end whether I did or didn't.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm leery of your opinion.

Turning down a vaccination isn't forcing yourself onto anybody.  He never condemned anyone who believed in the vaccination.

How did he force himself into the politics of Covid? It looked like he was dragged into it because the powers that be didn't like his view. 

In retrospect he wasn't wrong.  I got the vac for work but it was a hard decision for me and I'm not sure it made any difference in the end whether I did or didn't.

Its just a google search away.  Look it up yourself.

Dude has been an asshat for a lot longer than any of us wingnuts on a sports forum ever knew there was a bio lab in Wuhan China.  Anything he has said or done in the last two years has only had a small impact on the fact that I think he is not someone who adds value to this world beyond his fading athletic ability.

• Beer 1