• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I made a stupid mistake trying to sell this house

cardiackat88.

I am trying to sell my house and move my family overseas by March.

Somehow, a rumor about mold being in our house started in this small town. We have the suspicion a realtor started this after we did not chose them as our realtor.

Our relator has someone on the hook to buy the house, but we could not get ANY one to come and test it and/or look at it. This realtor wanted us to get some 
"certification"  to prove there is no mold in the house.

We finally did, and they have been extremely unprofessional. They were supposed to "remediate" our mild.

I am not sure wtf they are doing to be honest.

I just know they have not produced one single document to sign before they started, and the dude asked if could pay $5,000 through venmo.

They are supposed to come back tomorrow and "finishing" but I am sure they are just going to grab their stupid blower and ask for payment.

I am not sure wtf to do. I am not paying $5,000 for this "job" and I need this stupid phantom "mold certification".

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Did you find this person/company or did your realtor? If it's your realtor let them deal with it. If it's you ask them for a detailed invoice of exactly what they've done.

Yea, and they were the only people who would come out.

This realtor only cares about this mysterious certification about no mold.

As much as I hate big corporations, I really wish I could hire somebody like Walmart to do it without all this effin nonsense.

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Does this agent happen to also be representing the potential buyer?

You say there's a rumor that this house has mold. Does it have mold or not? I mean, you can go down to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a mold test kit for $10-15.

Yes, he is also representing them.

He wants something "official" that the house has mold (or not). I am unsure if a test kit was used, it may or may not be. I am not normally here and I am trying to sell this house and get them to where I am.

I am worried this mold remediation company will want the $5,000 before hand and then completely ghost us with this "certification". Then I will be stuck with no stupid paper and a lady who wants this stupid paper before the sale is complete.

I still have not signed nor seen one single document pertaining to this job.

The guy who came out also suggested $5,000 through Venmo, which struck me as extremely odd. For an unknown reason, this guy also went through our neighbors backyard and knocked on their door. The neighbors texted my wife all this and the guy acted really weird about it.

Call your realtor. Have them recommend a mold guy. If there's no obvious mold have them do a test. Definitely don't give some rando $5k through Venmo when no actual work has been done.

I'd be pushing my realtor on why he wants this certification. Why is he concerned the house has mold. If his buyer is concerned about mold then they can pay for a home inspection and have a mold test done. I just wouldn't be doing anything specific for a specific buyer without an acceptable written offer in hand.

I really don't like dual agency situations and I honestly think the practice should be banned. But that's just me. There's no way an agent can fairly represent both sides of the deal.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Call your realtor. Have them recommend a mold guy. If there's no obvious mold have them do a test. Definitely don't give some rando $5k through Venmo when no actual work has been done.

I'd be pushing my realtor on why he wants this certification. Why is he concerned the house has mold. If his buyer is concerned about mold then they can pay for a home inspection and have a mold test done. I just wouldn't be doing anything specific for a specific buyer without an acceptable written offer in hand.

I really don't like dual agency situations and I honestly think the practice should be banned. But that's just me. There's no way an agent can fairly represent both sides of the deal.

Thanks for the advice.

I am afraid its too late for some things. Like getting him to contribute in the mold inspection or anything.

My wife has been here alone having to do this all herself, and I am trying to help her this two weeks I am here. Its been a super hassle wanting to leave on a time schedule and finding someone who wants the house.

We are "first time homeowners" and the experience has been nightmarish.

I ripped my realtor a new asshole every time I was unhappy about something.  They get paid crazy money and I made sure they earned every penny.  Realtors are there to protect us and got us over whatever issues we have selling our home.  Realtors should be Saul Goodman like… they should have a guy for everything.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Either way, call the realtor and find out why he thinks this is necessary. Definitely don't pay for any mold remediation if there's no obvious mold.

Did the realtor ask for you to have a mold issue remediated or simply to get a mold test to confirm there's no mold issues?

My realtor hired a professional before I put my house up for sale to tell me the issues I had.  I received a professional paper stating all of the issues.  I even tested for mold, I think it was $400 and I got a professional paper stating that I had no mold.  This shouldn’t be complicated.  I think he has a shitty realtor. 

Also, I would never pay for service that cost more than $500 thru PayPal on Venmo.  Invoice a must and check or credit card only because both protected (if you have stop payment on check).  Venmo… once money sent, you are on the hook if you got screwed.

Edited by Ja Rhule

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Either way, call the realtor and find out why he thinks this is necessary. Definitely don't pay for any mold remediation if there's no obvious mold.

Did the realtor ask for you to have a mold issue remediated or simply to get a mold test to confirm there's no mold issues?

These are really good questions!

I will have to ask. My wife did most of this and there is a lot of things I am unsure of.

7 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

My realtor hired a professional before I put my house up for sale to tell me the issues I had.  I received a professional paper stating all of the issues.  I even tested for mold, I think it was $400 and I got a professional paper stating that I had no mold.  This shouldn’t be complicated.  I think he has a shitty realtor. 

Also, I would never pay for service that cost more than $500 thru PayPal on Venmo.  Invoice a must and check or credit card only because both protected (if you have stop payment on check).  Venmo… once money sent, you are on the hook if you got screwed.

Yea, I am really not sure what the problem is. There was a ton of bad floods and freezing pipes in this area. Its been an act of God to get anyone out here too look in the first place.

2 hours ago, cardiackat88. said:

Yes, he is also representing them.

He wants something "official" that the house has mold (or not). I am unsure if a test kit was used, it may or may not be. I am not normally here and I am trying to sell this house and get them to where I am.

I am worried this mold remediation company will want the $5,000 before hand and then completely ghost us with this "certification". Then I will be stuck with no stupid paper and a lady who wants this stupid paper before the sale is complete.

I still have not signed nor seen one single document pertaining to this job.

The guy who came out also suggested $5,000 through Venmo, which struck me as extremely odd. For an unknown reason, this guy also went through our neighbors backyard and knocked on their door. The neighbors texted my wife all this and the guy acted really weird about it.

So they are representing both you and the buyer?  Who dif they represent first?