• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roman Harper thinks Sean Payton could be our next HC now

ncfan

“Sean Payton will probably blow David Tepper’s mind away,” he said. “And up until yesterday—obviously there’s no way Sean Payton ends up with the Carolina Panthers. No way. But now, I’ve completely changed. I think, if I’m [Saints general manager] Mickey Loomis, I make the trade.”

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/17/panthers-fans-roman-harper-sean-payton-david-tepper/

I'd rather have a fresh face.  I can understand why some would want Payton, but there are several good reasons not to hire him.

• Character issues (bounty gate, vicodin man, etc).
  • Only 1 Super Bowl with top tier QB play for a long period of time.
  • No head coach has ever won a 2nd Super Bowl with another team.
  • He would cost significant draft capital.
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Now make it a 59 year old coach that has already won a Super Bowl and enjoyed a nice long career.  There is nothing left to prove.  He could retire in 2-3 years and be content.  

Or in a divisional move to fug the Panthers, we trade away our 24 1st to NO, he coaches 1 year and retires again. Though I'm sure there would be a clause to prevent this, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yet he is still there.  It's also a lot less common for a 36 year old coach to retire and go to broadcasting than a 60 year old one.

I still dont think thats an age thing.... its more an end of term or how someone feels. I mean Bruce Arians retired went to broadcasting and came back to win a super bowl. I just cant connect the dots to your logic here on using age to provide a deterent to hire a coach.

Personally I want Johnson, so Im not jumping up and down for SP.  However, the reasons I dont want SP has nothing to do with his age.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

I didn’t want Payton, mainly due to the fact we would have to trade assets to get him. But after seeing all these idiots on twitter saying that they will give up their PSLs and wilks is a better option, I hope it’s Payton.

Whine and cheese crowd, looks like they will drop the cheese, and just be whine.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

“Sean Payton will probably blow David Tepper’s mind away,” he said. “And up until yesterday—obviously there’s no way Sean Payton ends up with the Carolina Panthers. No way. But now, I’ve completely changed. I think, if I’m [Saints general manager] Mickey Loomis, I make the trade.”

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/17/panthers-fans-roman-harper-sean-payton-david-tepper/

If you've been watching his Colin Cowherds weekly segments you know what Roman is taking about. Sean is very impressive very bright individual and a terrific HC

• Pie 3

“All the negative things that people have said about him, in Carolina, for all these years—the smug looks, the arrogance, the cockiness—they would freakin’ love it here,” he said.

“From the equipment guys to everybody in that organization, they would all be different,” Harper added. “Because they’re not used to what he would be. It’s completely different from what Ron [Rivera] is. It’s completely different from what Foxy [John Fox] was. It’s completely, completely different than what Matt Rhule was.”

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Or in a divisional move to fug the Panthers, we trade away our 24 1st to NO, he coaches 1 year and retires again. Though I'm sure there would be a clause to prevent this, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. 

Yall are crying over made up scenarios. We haven't even interviewed the man yet

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I still dont think thats an age thing.... its more an end of term or how someone feels. I mean Bruce Arians retired went to broadcasting and came back to win a super bowl. I just cant connect the dots to your logic here on using age to provide a deterent to hire a coach.

Personally I want Johnson, so Im not jumping up and down for SP.  However, the reasons I dont want SP has nothing to do with his age.

Would you want to bring in Pete Carroll at 70 years old?  Just wondering where your line is or if you have one.

Trading away future assets for an older coach that has already won a Super Bowl just seems a little sort sighted to me.  I just see him wanting to sign vets and go straight into win now mode and screw over the future.  I don't see him developing a young rookie QB, he will probably want Carr or Jackson (trading away more future picks).  If we were just signing one like Reich (similar age) to help turn our franchise around and build stability then for some reason it just sits better with me.

It doesn't help that I am EXTREMELY bias on this because I hate Sean Payton.....

• Beer 2