• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roman Harper thinks Sean Payton could be our next HC now

ncfan

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

“All the negative things that people have said about him, in Carolina, for all these years—the smug looks, the arrogance, the cockiness—they would freakin’ love it here,” he said.

“From the equipment guys to everybody in that organization, they would all be different,” Harper added. “Because they’re not used to what he would be. It’s completely different from what Ron [Rivera] is. It’s completely different from what Foxy [John Fox] was. It’s completely, completely different than what Matt Rhule was.”

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/17/panthers-fans-roman-harper-sean-payton-david-tepper/

Different! Different! Different! Some times "Different" is not better!

• The D 1

5 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Yall are crying over made up scenarios. We haven't even interviewed the man yet

I'm not crying over anything. It was sarcasm. I don't want SP here because he tried to end careers. I don't care how great of a coach you are, that's BS. We all complain about how much BS it was when Denver was allowed to tee off at Cam with no repercussions, but now I'm supposed to be ok with a guy that was paying his players to do it to others just because he could be wearing Panthers colors? Nyah, I'm good. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

“All the negative things that people have said about him, in Carolina, for all these years—the smug looks, the arrogance, the cockiness—they would freakin’ love it here,” he said.

“From the equipment guys to everybody in that organization, they would all be different,” Harper added. “Because they’re not used to what he would be. It’s completely different from what Ron [Rivera] is. It’s completely different from what Foxy [John Fox] was. It’s completely, completely different than what Matt Rhule was.”

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/17/panthers-fans-roman-harper-sean-payton-david-tepper/

Lol at the extra ‘completely’ for Rhule.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Would you want to bring in Pete Carroll at 70 years old?  Just wondering where your line is or if you have one.

Trading away future assets for an older coach that has already won a Super Bowl just seems a little sort sighted to me.  I just see him wanting to sign vets and go straight into win now mode and screw over the future.  I don't see him developing a young rookie QB, he will probably want Carr or Jackson (trading away more future picks).  If we were just signing one like Reich (similar age) to help turn our franchise around and build stability then for some reason it just sits better with me.

It doesn't help that I am EXTREMELY bias on this because I hate Sean Payton.....

Pete Caroll is 10 years older... no way. If anything Pete Caroll, Andy Reid, Bill B, and Bruce Arians are reasons why I would be okay with bringing on a 60 year old coach. They proved that age doesnt hold back from creating successful football teams in the NFL. 

You are assuming the worst with Sean Payton because you dont like him, and I get it. Personally, I have no idea what SP would really do if he was a head coach here. I know he would bring a rockstar coaching staff and lure talent here. That's something we haven't had in a long time.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Only way I see this is if Sean is either comfortable with what we have on roster (lol) or thinks he can get one of the FA QBs to Carolina... Carr maybe? Hopefully not Brady. If that's the case then i 100% think Fitt would trade down from 9 and recoup picks

I've been here since the Carolina Growl days, and while some of the posters here (who are typically the most hardcore fans) might not ever be able to get Sean Payton's past, 95+% of the fanbase will forgive all if he wins the division next year.

Tepper knows this.  You would have to remind most casual fans of what Bounty Gate even was.  Most casual fans only know the Saints owned us for the majority of the 15 years Payton was the Saints coach.

And for my boys who have just started watching the Panthers over the past 5 years (all losing), they could care less and just want to see the Panthers win.  Most fans do.

I'm all for standing on principle, but it doesn't matter to Tepper, and it won't matter to the overwhelming majority of fans.  Losing a few hardcore fans while bringing back thousands of casual fans is a trade-off an owner would accept every day.

Sean Payton will bring excitement, national relevance, national games, and free agent interest.  That matters a whole lot to an owner, especially one like Tepper.

And he will also bring his a-hole persona, which very well might not work with Tepper long-term.  But that's for another day...

I had 15 years to develop a visceral hatred for the guy, but I will freely admit after spending 5+ years in the NFL wilderness as a franchise, I am open to anyone who can be a winner.

I have been pro-Wilks, but my opinion nor anyone else's here matters to Tepper.  And while I have probably hated Sean Payton worse than anyone in the NFL over the past 15 years, he can coach and he would instantly make us the favorites in the NFC South next year.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Doesn't seem to bode well for Fitts...

Not exactly 

may be the opposite.  Fitty is well though of in the league.

Also, remember when we hired him.  One bing thing when we hired him.  Was his experience with HC who had total control (Pete Carrol) since Rhule had total control here

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Not exactly 

may be the opposite.  Fitty is well though of in the league.

Also, remember when we hired him.  One bing thing when we hired him.  Was his experience with HC who had total control (Pete Carrol) since Rhule had total control here

I was told by Fhule himself he had zero control of anything bad that happened here