• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching Jalen Hurts sort of hurts.....

YourLastThought

8 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Realizing the importance of a coaching tree is critical to success. Champion coaches develop champion coaches and champion players. You won't find a SB Champion QB who has left their team to pair with a rookie coach or failed coach and turned them into a championship coach. The coaches that win the SB have all studied under championship HCs and had a part in developing championship QBs.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells are the only 2 coaches to blaze their own path without a championship mentor. The other 33 have all come from championship coaches. 34 if Taylor, Shanahan, or Sirianni win the SB. Sirianni is the least studied under championship mentors. He comes from Philbin (SB champ OC) and McVay (SB champ HC).

As for QBs, they get developed by these coaching lines and the legends of Montana, Unitas, Brady, Mannings, Bradshaw, Elway, Favre, and now Mahomes are forged. If these same QBs were with the likes of Matt Rhule, Urban Meyer, Dom Capers, Nathaniel Hackett, Matt Eberflus or Kliff Kingsbury there would be little to no development and no legend.

Good coaches utilize their players better than other coaches to take a team to the playoffs. Good QBs are coachable, protect the ball, and produce clutch GWD in big games/playoffs. It does not matter where the QB is drafted. A good coach just needs a QB with average intellect and athletic instincts in the pocket.

This. Great research. 

And I'll add: In the NFL, greatness is a partnership. Lombardi and Starr. Noll and Bradshaw. Landry and Meredith/Staubach. Shula and Griese/Marino. Walsh and Montana. Johnson and Aikman. Belichick and Brady. Reid and Mahomes.

Just an opinion but that's why Tepper should TRY REAL HARD to identify that offensive coach who can work with and develop a QB and become a partnership. That person may not be out there. But at least try to find him.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:59 AM, YourLastThought said:

He wasn't absolutely on fire as you can tell he is still hurting from his injury but even in that he was consistent and a great leader. It hurts to know we could have had him but I'm sure we like many others and even myself did not think he would turn out to be much at all other than a career backup at VERY best. I myself did not even think he would be in the league long and would be gone within a few years. He not only belongs but is the heart and soul of their franchise. Somehow the eagles struck absolute gold with him and he also seems to be one hell of a decent guy. I wish we could have a game changing team leading soul of the franchise again like Hurts is to the eagles. Haven't had it since Cam and I sure wish we could find our next cam or the next Jalen Hurts. That guy is such a special talent.

I guess many teams are kicking themselves that they did not notice how good he could potentially be but the eagles were smart enough to take that chance on him and roll the dice. I would give up any QB on the roster right now and a couple firsts for him without even second thinking as I'm sure many others would as well but of course eagles aren't trading him for anything obviously.

I agree, but I don't think that his development would've been the same...

• Beer 1

On 1/22/2023 at 5:59 AM, YourLastThought said:

He wasn't absolutely on fire as you can tell he is still hurting from his injury but even in that he was consistent and a great leader. It hurts to know we could have had him but I'm sure we like many others and even myself did not think he would turn out to be much at all other than a career backup at VERY best. I myself did not even think he would be in the league long and would be gone within a few years. He not only belongs but is the heart and soul of their franchise. Somehow the eagles struck absolute gold with him and he also seems to be one hell of a decent guy. I wish we could have a game changing team leading soul of the franchise again like Hurts is to the eagles. Haven't had it since Cam and I sure wish we could find our next cam or the next Jalen Hurts. That guy is such a special talent.

I guess many teams are kicking themselves that they did not notice how good he could potentially be but the eagles were smart enough to take that chance on him and roll the dice. I would give up any QB on the roster right now and a couple firsts for him without even second thinking as I'm sure many others would as well but of course eagles aren't trading him for anything obviously.

He has AJ Brown and Devonta Smith, along with Miles Sanders and a good coaching staff. They also have one of the NFL's best defenses which gets them additional opportunities on offense. While Hurts is good, I don't think he's everything people make him out to be. 

• Pie 1

On 1/22/2023 at 8:58 AM, kungfoodude said:

I hope we get this next hire right or it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

The Browns were in a 20ish year streak before Mayfield or Watson, depending on how you define their QB success. 

That was all very poor ownership and management, which we could possibly have.

My biggest fear is that we flub this coaching search and then it becomes painfully obvious that Tepper is one of the worst owners in the NFL. That is a nosedive that is very difficult to pull out of for an NFL franchise.

Honestly we just need good coach + franchise qb. Tepper can be ass but still manage to get lucky with that

On 1/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, 45catfan said:

'Hurts is garbage' was the general consensus here when he was coming out in the draft. I honestly don't remember him having any real fans, but I definitely wasn't in the majority whose sentiment of Hurts was he couldn't make it as a NFL QB.

Hurts is garbage and just a glorified RB was a popular take this past offseason, especially after the eagles struggled against Tampa in the playoffs

• Poo 1

On 1/22/2023 at 11:52 AM, CamWhoaaCam said:

His OC has the best roster in football.

Eagles have 2 #1 WR a top 10 TE and a top 5 RB and the best Oline in football.

Are you sure he's going to be that impactful with this offense and our lack of weapons?

Miles Sanders is a top 5 RB?

On 1/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, BIGH2001 said:

He would have looked like Bridgewater under the previous regime. The entire panthers history from 2019-now should be erased and never spoken of again. Reminds me of the stretch from 97-01 where we floundered along with no real direction.

I would be happy to erase 2010 to now save for the fact of Cam and Luke carrying MoRon on their shoulders for years and years, covering up his idiocy.

Honestly Hurts and Fields don't do it for me. They are more Mike Vick than Cam Newton. If anything Lamar Jackson is the one I wish we took a flier on. The Offense John Harbaugh runs doesn't do him justice let alone the personnel they have. Imagine LJ with at least one competent WR and consistent running game that isn't continually mired in injuries. Hurts has been good don't get me wrong but Jackson is a tier above.