• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

Wilks isn't attracting good assistant coaches in the first place. 

Here's an alternative:

Tepper: Wilks, I don't think we're going to hire you.

Wilks: Ok.

Tepper: Best of luck.

---

A 2 year deal is more than fair for Steve Wilks.

Giving a minority candidate less than a standard coaching deal?

I'm guessing the lawyers for Wilks and Brian Flores would probably have something to say about that.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Wilks isn't attracting good assistant coaches in the first place. 

Here's an alternative:

Tepper: Wilks, I don't think we're going to hire you.

Wilks: Ok.

Tepper: Best of luck.

---

A 2 year deal is more than fair for Steve Wilks.

Glad you will NEVER be in a position to hire coaches EVER. lollll

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Giving a minority candidate less than a standard coaching deal?

I'm guessing the lawyers for Wilks and Brian Flores would probably have something to say about that.

Yea...a 2 year contract?  Hmmmm...what coach will be available at that time without having to pay his former team compensation?  Not happening.

• Beer 1

You can put 3-4 years down on a piece of paper but it doesn't mean anything when everyone in the world knows that if Wilks is hired he's on a year by year evaluation because he already has experience failing as a HC in the NFL.  I don't care if Tepper gives him a 20 year deal - it's not my money and has no effect on the allocation of the salary cap.

The book is out on him. He would need to do "an incredible job" to maintain any type of job security.

Edited by therealmjl

12 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Tepper: OK,  Wilks, we could not find anyone we really liked (who would come here) so we  are giving you 1 (or 2 years) because we are hoping that someone we like better will be available later on.

Wilkes: No thank you.

How are you going to attract good assistant coaches or even free agents in a situation like that even if he did accept?

Not a good plan.

Sounds even crazier when you put it that way LP. I’m not sure anyone could believe that deal would make sense. I’m certainly glad some of these armchair GM’s aren’t making this decision.

Something else I heard on Kyle Bailey that we should all think about - no one ever heard of Nick Sirianni when he was hired a few years ago. His first press conference was forgettable at best and I’m sure everyone thought the Eagles played themselves. Two years late - he’s got them on the verge of their 2nd SB. Lesson? Sometimes the right guy is not the one everyone wants or the sexy hires. The Panthers absolutely need to nail this one, whoever it is.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

54 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Its going to be hilarious when he turns us down and goes back to Philly.

I don't think people realize our team isn't that attractive without a QB. 

this team sabotages itself by not committing one way or the other 

they scoff and hiss at the idea of tanking but when wanna be treated like a primo landing spot for potential coaches with no viable path to a QB

teams aren’t being evaluated on how many promising “defensive cornerstones” they have now-the coach in question wants a QB or wants a clear path to a QB.

he doesn’t want to come in and “prove there are other ways to win” or to “build from the ground up”

he wants a quarterback. 

this team won’t commit to being bad and has been too timid to commit to being good so they just flounder around and struggle in this awkward middle stage where nothing changes