• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB needy teams drafting before us

GOAT

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

the thing is colts might get excited about levis and overestimate his appeal to other teams. it's quite possible that one of young or stroud makes it to us. 

but i also think that even if anthony richardson is our pick, that if we've got someone like steichen or kafka that they would be great in helping him get to the pro level.

I've seen a ton of rankings and damn near every single one of them only having 2 qb's go before our pick at 9.  The Panthers will get another rookie qb in this upcoming draft. I just don't see the panic to trade up for any of them to be honest. 

• Pie 2

I feel like this is how the top 4 is going to play out:

1. Indy (trade up with Chicago) - Levis

2. Houston - Young

3. Arizona - Will Anderson / Jalen Carter

4. Chicago - Jalen Carter / Will Anderson

At that point, I think the Panthers will be on the phone with both Seattle and Detroit to try to get Stroud. Going from 9 to 5 or 6 will likely cost both of this year's 2nds (based on Darnold and Allen precedents). I'd be willing to send the 49ers' 2nd and a future 2nd round pick to get it done. Keep this year's 2nd to add a slot weapon for Stroud, sign a FA TE (Engram/Hooper/Gesicki) and let's roll.  

Edited by UNCrules2187

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've seen a ton of rankings and damn near every single one of them only having 2 qb's go before our pick at 9.  The Panthers will get another rookie qb in this upcoming draft. I just don't see the panic to trade up for any of them to be honest. 

true. and it's really been a mixed bag from what i'm seeing some have levis going to the colts early ahead of stroud or young and some have levis the 4th or 5th QB behind richardson and some other QB (saw him behind cameron ward on yahoo).

There's much less ebb and flow in the ranks this year, that's for sure.  It's so much fun to look back at the roller coaster of projections.  

Last year's class was bonkers.  Corral, Strong & Howell were the preseason top guys many were pining for. 

The next thing you know, Willis is getting pushed to the moon (and now we know wasn't really the case for teams), Strong had growing injury concerns surface, Corral was kind of background noise.  Pickett bursts through the seams (Thanks to Jordan Addison).  Next thing you know, the top of that class was Pickett, Willis, and Desmond freaking Ridder.

People were justifiably iffy and pining at the prospect of Young, Stroud, Richardson, Van Dyke, & Levis this year.  The classic "next year's draft looks awesome" pitch.  

So, compare the "Too Early" Mocks in Spring 2021 vs. Winter 2022 for last years class and it is just wild.  Do the same for this years in the same windows, and a lot of the projections have held.  Minus one dude who plummeted: Van Dyke.

Young & Stroud have held on.  Levis mostly as well (struggled on a bad team), Richardson held (struggled but popped at times), Van Dyke fell off a cliff and through a roof.  Some places were hyping Cam Ward, Haener, Jurkovec, Rattler, but they weren't consistently in R1.  

CBS's headline for their early mock was a good one:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-will-levis-goes-no-1-to-texans-as-part-of-deservedly-hyped-qb-class-with-7-in-round-1/

2023 NFL Mock Draft: Will Levis goes No. 1 to Texans as part of deservedly hyped QB class, with 7 in Round 1

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, rayzor said:

true. and it's really been a mixed bag from what i'm seeing some have levis going to the colts early ahead of stroud or young and some have levis the 4th or 5th QB behind richardson and some other QB (saw him behind cameron ward on yahoo).

It's so hard to take these 'mocks" seriously, especially this early.  Let it come to you.

200.gif