• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I'd love to know more about the interview process.

What questions are asked in the 2nd interview that aren't asked in the 1st and vice versa?

I would guess the second set of questions is more detailed and specific, like maybe naming names when it comes to staff and stuff like that.

That's just me spitballing though...

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I'd love to know more about the interview process.

What questions are asked in the 2nd interview that aren't asked in the 1st and vice versa?

Usually coaches that have a chance to move up prepare a binder with offensive/defensive plans,  coordinator and staffing options and a 3-5 year building plan. First interview is typically going over all of that, second one is more in depth detail on the above. those coaching binders are typically a few hundred pages long. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kaye talks rationale

I know to some that's going to sound like "7-year plan" type talk, but he has a valid point.

“5 year fix” WTF? I don’t want to wait 5 years till maybe my team is ready to maybe be contenders. 
A HC has at most 3 year to make some sort of impact in the NFL. 
I get hiring a coach with experience being a HC but no more “building programs” crap. Had enough of that with Wilks. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would guess the second set of questions is more detailed and specific, like maybe naming names when it comes to staff and stuff like that.

That's just me spitballing though...

2nd round interviews usually involve a different set of people. Maybe this is where they meet with Fitterer and Morgan and co? Not sure who is involved in the first round of interviews aside from Tepper and his wife. 

19 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

TWO WEEKS AGO WE WERE DEBATING HARBAUGH VS BEN JOHNSON VS STEICHEN VS PAYTON

NOW WE HAVE STEVE fuging WILKS VS FRANK REICH

THE PANTHERS WAY

The only thing more Charlotte sports would be if Ron Rivera himself were somehow available 😂

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

“5 year fix” WTF? I don’t want to wait 5 years till maybe my team is ready to maybe be contenders. 
A HC has at most 3 year to make some sort of impact in the NFL. 
I get hiring a coach with experience being a HC but no more “building programs” crap. Had enough of that with Wilks. 

he's not implying it will take 5 years to fix at all. he's saying 5 years of stability at head coach which would include winning seasons. it's pretty simple - if the HC doesn't win, he's fired.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

2nd round interviews usually involve a different set of people. Maybe this is where they meet with Fitterer and Morgan and co? Not sure who is involved in the first round of interviews aside from Tepper and his wife. 

Fitt and Samir along with tepper and his wife

Just now, therealmjl said:

yeah we should totally hire than up and coming media created college coach program builder and take a risk

nah def not that kinda risk. take a shot on a young offensive mind from a proven coaching tree, seems to be working league wide.

Worth noting that Reich had a different starting QB in each of his seasons in Indy (Luck, Brissett, Rivers, Wentz, Ryan). 2 playoff appearances and a winning record with Wentz seems pretty good all things considered.

It would be interesting to see what he could do with Stroud/Levis/Corral/ whoever he likes out of our options this offseason. At least give him more than a year with any of them and see what he can do.  

Here is the thing with Reich

-Philly fans love him and credit him for the Super Bowl winning offense.  Even speaking as highly of him 5 years ago as Steichen today.

- had winning seasons in 3 out of 4 seasons as a Head Coach.

- has proven he can put together an elite staff.  One big issue he had in Indy was his staff constantly being poached.  His original staff in Indy today includes 2 current NFL HCs including Siriani with the Eagles.  And 3 current NFL coordinators which include Eagles Dc

-his big downfall was the Wentz issue.  Which if you look into it.  The same front office/ownership that’s about to hire Jeff Saturday as their next HC.  Gave Reich Jacolby Brissett and 100 year old Phillip Rivers instead of drafting one like he wanted.  That’s when Reich pushed for Wentz who he had a history with in Philly

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1