• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, ncfan said:

You do realize Reich was Literally Steichen not 5 years ago. Difference is, Steichen hasn’t won the Super Bowl yet like Reich

Reich is 61, Steichen is 37... don't tell me Reich was "literally Steichen 5 years ago" when 5 years ago Reich was still almost 20 years older than Steichen is right now.  Steichen was an OC when he was 34, Reich wasn't an OC until his mid 50's.

So sure, Reich was an OC on a SB winning team, but that still gives Steichen a 20 year head start over him right now, and could get that same SB this year.

Literally that's all you need to say for me to not like Reich over Steichen.

Why are we hiring someone who has max 10 years left in their career?!?!  It's one of my biggest issues with the idea of Payton as well.

You hire Steichen and things go well, we don't need to look for a new HC for at least 20 years.  I thought Tepper wanted to be more like the Steelers, well the Steelers have only had what, 3 coaches in the last 60 years or something?

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

Just now, top dawg said:

And that's my problem with the whole idea of Reich. 

I can see us being in the same predicament in three years. 

If we hire him, I hope he proves me wrong.

Thinking about it and assuming we can correct the qb dilemma, hiring Reich puts us in the catbird seat for the nfc south as we sit here today.  So theres that

10 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

People are rightfully scared off by the rotating door of retread qbs under reich. I understand Luck retiring weeks before the season was fuged. It’s exactly the same poo we’ve been dealing with since Cam got cut. Fair or not there is a fear that he will take a “conservative” approach to getting a retread qb that’s “solid” instead of taking the chance on a top 10 pick. 

I just dont get why people assume thats what hes going to want to do again, it clearly wasnt something he enjoyed doing in Indianapolis just didnt have the draft position to actually grab someone.  Tepper also has seemed pretty pissed about how we've handled QBs and notably wanted Fields during that draft.  Feels like two people who finally get the chance to stop doing whats caused them so many problems for so many years.

Just now, stan786 said:

I just dont get why people assume thats what hes going to want to do again, it clearly wasnt something he enjoyed doing in Indianapolis just didnt have the draft position to actually grab someone.  Tepper also has seemed pretty pissed about how we've handled QBs and notably wanted Fields during that draft.  Feels like two people who finally get the chance to stop doing whats caused them so many problems for so many years.

I don’t “assume” it’s just all we have to look to. And I hope you’re right. If reich is the guy and he drafts a qb top 10 I’ll be happy. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

Reich is 61, Steichen is 37... don't tell me Reich was "literally Steichen 5 years ago" when 5 years ago Reich was still almost 20 years older than Steichen is right now.  Steichen was an OC when he was 35, Reich wasn't an OC until his mid 50's.

Why are we hiring someone who has max 10 years left in their career?!?!  It's one of my biggest issues with the idea of Payton as well.

You hire Steichen and things go well, we don't need to look for a new HC for at least 20 years.  I thought Tepper wanted to be more like the Steelers, well the Steelers have only had what, 3 coaches in the last 60 years or something?

The idea with Reich would be to have him first "right the ship", then groom a young assistant to eventually take over and hopefully keep that process going.

No guarantees, but it's really not a bad plan.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Reich is 61, Steichen is 37... don't tell me Reich was "literally Steichen 5 years ago" when 5 years ago Reich was still almost 20 years older than Steichen is right now.  Steichen was an OC when he was 34, Reich wasn't an OC until his mid 50's.

So sure, Reich was an OC on a SB winning team, but that still gives Steichen a 20 year head start over him right now, and could get that same SB this year.

Not at least bringing in kafka and SS to at least talk is pretty baffling.   Maybe they simply just dont want to wait and get started on 2023.   Pretty insane if thats the case

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

A coach lasting 10 years with a team is pretty rare. There are only five of those in the NFL currently.

• Pie 4