• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Reich is 61, Steichen is 37... don't tell me Reich was "literally Steichen 5 years ago" when 5 years ago Reich was still almost 20 years older than Steichen is right now.  Steichen was an OC when he was 34, Reich wasn't an OC until his mid 50's.

So sure, Reich was an OC on a SB winning team, but that still gives Steichen a 20 year head start over him right now, and could get that same SB this year.

Literally that's all you need to say for me to not like Reich over Steichen.

Why are we hiring someone who has max 10 years left in their career?!?!  It's one of my biggest issues with the idea of Payton as well.

You hire Steichen and things go well, we don't need to look for a new HC for at least 20 years.  I thought Tepper wanted to be more like the Steelers, well the Steelers have only had what, 3 coaches in the last 60 years or something?

Do you realize how little coaches are with a team for more than 10 years.

when we fired Rivera.  Only Belichick, Pete Carroll and Tomlin had been with their team longer in the entire NFL.

and I couldn’t 2 poos if a coach is 22 or 62.  If he can coach.  He can coach. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Just now, TheRumGone said:

I don’t “assume” it’s just all we have to look to. And I hope you’re right. If reich is the guy and he drafts a qb top 10 I’ll be happy. 

I agree with this, if we draft a QB I'm happy with Reich as I find that ideally fixes his biggest issue in Indy immediately.  If we end up with a Carr or whatever I'll very much flip to the unhappy side of things.

• Pie 1

Some fun notes:

• Mahomes lost to 3 squads this year... the Bengals, the Bills, & yep, that's right, Frank Reich's Colts with the corpse of Matt Ryan and a banged up J. Taylor.  
  • They were still 3-3-1  before the whole Ehlinger thing happened and went into non-compete mode
  • A Clausen-level Ehlinger lost his first 2 gigs and Reich got the boot at 3-5-1
  • Saturday went on to finish 1-10 with that squad, even with Matty Melting returning

Edited by Bear Hands

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Yeah but those guys were all successful before their second job right? Did Belicheck quit? 

Pretty sure Belichick was fired. Reid too. Levy wasn't especially successful in Kansas City either. Carroll was fired two or three times.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not at least bringing in kafka and SS to at least talk is pretty baffling.   Maybe they simply just dont want to wait and get started on 2023.   Pretty insane if thats the case

That's what interviews are for...to narrow down the picks.  If the Panthers were not impressed enough to think those guys might be ready, no need to waste anyone's time.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned much here... Colts had an atrocious OL this year. If Reich gets the job and he is able to go draft his guy he can immediately put him behind a top 10 OL

bozeman is a FA and corbett tore his ACL. Brady was probably considered the "weak" link at LG too. Far from guaranteed to be good next year. Would love to resign boze and get another guard with a day 2 pick.

4 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Frank Reich ain’t on any of these guys level. Carroll was very successful in college as well even tho he was cheatin like crazy 

Please enlighten me with how many NFL championships Carrol and Belichick had at their previous stop?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The idea with Reich would be to have him first "right the ship", then groom a young assistant to eventually take over and hopefully keep that process going.

No guarantees, but it's really not a bad plan.

I'm sorry, but that's a REALLY bad plan.

Those young assistants that are being groomed to be HC's keep getting hired within 2, maybe 3 years of them getting the OC job.

The odds of us being successful enough that we have one of those coaches at the time Reich is ready to step down is pretty low.  

Plus... we're literally turning down said groomed young OC's to hire the stop gap now... why not just skip the stop gap and go for someone who helped launch Herbert's career when he had questions coming out of college about being ready and helped shut down any questions about Hurts being a legitimate starter in the league as well!?!?!

In the last 4 years he has literally taken 2 QB's who were not sure fire NFL starters and helped turn one into an MVP candidate and another who is likely better but had a lot of injuries around them this year and still had a great season.

In the end, I just can't get on board with the idea of hiring someone of his age when we're not already in a win now mode.  Why are we wanting to hire someone with the idea of then drafting a young QB who we'd hope will play longer than the coach will still be coaching?!?!?