• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report. Panthers pivoting from Shane Steichen

raleigh-panther

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Many coordinators who interview their first time struggle because the difference in the job and responsibilities is large. He may go elsewhere and certainly these interviews should prepare him for the future. We just want more of a proven entity.

Not to mention connections to staff hires might not be all together..

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Growl said:

no no you had it right the first time, if he can’t get his priorities in line we don’t want him

go play your dumb little “title” game, Shane. Your loss.

No he didn't make the cut. He may be a great coordinator but not HC material. Not at this point. Not here. Happens all the time.

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

No coach is going to bother to interview if they aren't interested. 

Hard to say why they pivoted away, but they are doing their due diligence,  which is important. 

A coordinator who is interviewing for the first time would be very unwise to be uninterested or negative about any job. There aren't that many and owners talk. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No he didn't make the cut. He may be a great coordinator but not HC material. Not at this point. Not here. Happens all the time.

which professional hiring firm has been brought in to handle these decisions so that the tepper family doesn’t have to

watching the same people just lap up whatever propaganda is thrown their way because it’s their bit part to play despite the team’s almost unbreakable record of making the wrong decision is hilarious 

Edited by Growl

For all the well earned poo thrown at Tepper, apparently even Sean Payton was impressed.   Jeff Duncan, long time saints beat reporter in New Orleans said that he's heard from Payton and his camp that they left the Panthers very impressed with Tepper and the organization.  That Payton actually liked the job opportunity, but knew the Saints trade tax would be an issue, and acknowledged that the idea of Payton's Legacy in NO was a problem for him.

Benjamin Allbright is another well connected source with some words about the Panthers coaching prognosis, and again, it's not all bad.  Sure, we have challenges, but that's why we're a top 10 pick, and are looking for a coach.  We have a deep pocketed owner, there are a LOT of good football minds in the FO, and while many of y'all are ready to crucify Fitterer on his front lawn, he's respected in the NFL.

Back to the issues of Steichen - there are a lot of reasons that he could have had a bad interview.  Could be that he's just too busy with his current job and wants that ring.  Could be he didn't mesh/gel with Fitterer and Tepper.  We weren't there.  You don't hire a coach who isn't ready to be a head coach.  The fact of the matter is we don't know enough as fans.

So you either have to trust the FO (which is hard), and wait to see how the season unfolds.  I really liked the idea of Steichen, but it looks like that's not going to happen.  Hopefully the Panthers make the right choice of HC and QB and we have have some success.  Life is more fun when the Panthers win.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Steichen was my original want this hiring cycle, but after watching some videos of him and how he addresses the team, dude might not have the HC "it" factor. Guy understands the X's and O's really well, but from the limited clips I have seen of him, he doesn't seem like much of a people person. 

Both him and Jonathan Gannon have that going for them.

If nothing moves by the end of week, we could very well just be holding our cards tight to the chest and the reporter speculation is just overblown.  Even if we were unsure in chatting with him, I still think you HAVE to see how Shane's offense does against Demeco's defense.  I just think it makes sense to have the focus where there are the best teams, leading trends in the league. 

We're able to hire right now any of the supposed final 3.  

Whoever Sheena, Albright, & Kaye have as their internal contacts/sources, the texts they're getting and turning into reports, I imagine, are all very calculated.  

You never really know until you know.  

16 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've been in interviews where the person doing the interview had no idea how to conduct an interview or what the job they were hiring me to do really was. Interviews are 2 way streets.

Can't compare a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise's vetting process to that time you applied to the Food Lion.

i’ve been in this exact situation, where you have a candidate that looks like they should be the next goat, but when you talk to them in person they just fall flat. i’ve tried hard to give a great looking candidate an opportunity to show me they have the stuff, but eventually just have to let them go. he might just not be ready.