• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report. Panthers pivoting from Shane Steichen

raleigh-panther

1 minute ago, travisura said:

Agree with this, although I do think there's a notable difference between Rhule picking and coaching a retread, and Reich picking and coaching a retread. Maybe this is just me being optimistic, but I'd like to think if Reich signs one it'd just be to be a bridge QB and not a long term solution.

i hope so.

there's a part of me that is expecting us to pick up Derek Carr, and while i like him and think he's got a lot left in him and he's not near the reclamation project that sammy or baker was... i'd still rather us find our guy in the first round. 

5 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

To be fair, Steichen has not really generated near the buzz folks thought he would. Sure he has a second interview with the Colts, but that situation is a mess.

Makes me wonder if Sirianni is still heavily involved in the offense and Steichen kind of assists hims/helps draw up plays.  

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

i hope so.

there's a part of me that is expecting us to pick up Derek Carr, and while i like him and think he's got a lot left in him and he's not near the reclamation project that sammy or baker was... i'd still rather us find our guy in the first round. 

Full agree.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i hope so.

I'm an advocate of both. If Carr is released we should be in the mix. Then we should still pick Anthony Richardson if he's there at #9. What I DON'T want to do is trade for Carr. They're going to try to trade him first. We need to stay out of that.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, travisura said:

Agree with this, although I do think there's a notable difference between Rhule picking and coaching a retread, and Reich picking and coaching a retread. Maybe this is just me being optimistic, but I'd like to think if Reich signs one it'd just be to be a bridge QB and not a long term solution.

Yeah, hopefully Reich learned from his Colts experience that you need to find your guy and commit to developing him. He had decent success with JAGs but that's a tough row to hoe.

7 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I have some issues here with how Billy specifically is taking some tweets or incomplete intel as stated fact. He's taking Ben's report that Steichen didn't interview well over Zoom and lambasting Tepper for not interviewing him in person/eliminating him as a candidate, but then taking another report from Jeremy Fowler that DeMeco felt like Carolina didn't seriously pursue him so he didn't interview rather than Ben's report that Carolina wanted to interview Ryans and he just wasn't interested in the job (a report I take more stock in given he pulled himself out of the Colts and Cardinals HC searches as well). Or somehow insinuating that Ben Johnson pulled out of the coaching search because of something he didn't like about the organization - if that was the case, he could've kept himself as a candidate for the Indy and Houston gigs and just pulled out of Carolina, but he didn't. He decided for whatever reason that he didn't feel he was ready to be a HC and got a fairly sizeable raise to stick in Detroit and get some more seasoning. 

Then flaming Tepper for not closing the deal with Fangio over $ when Josina Anderson clearly reported that Carolina made Fangio an offer that would make him the highest paid DC in the league and he took that back to Miami and asked them to match. Sometimes you get played for leverage to get what you want from where you really want to go (allegedly given he hasn't even signed that contract with Miami yet).

Look, Tepper has made more than his fair share of mistakes over his 5 years owning this team, but I don't think you can take everything that's gone wrong in Carolina and put it all at his feet and not give him any credit for things that do go according to plan.

I don't exactly consider Billy Marshall the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Pretty sure Zoom meetings were all we could do at the time Steichen was interviewed.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

The podcast is kind of lazy in my opinion. Piling on Tepper is the in-style thing to do (he’s earned it in some regards), but these are a little much. I’ve interviewed people on Zoom over the last 3 years and I have eliminated some individuals from that process. No matter the medium, you can tell who’s prepared. Plus, it was all we could do at the time.

Edited by Tarheel119
  • Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

The podcast is kind of lazy in my opinion. Piling on Tepper is the in-style thing to do (he’s earned it in some regards), but these are a little much. I’ve interviewed people on Zoom over the last 3 years and I have eliminated some individuals from that process. No matter the medium, you can tell who’s prepared. Plus, it was all we could do at the time.

For sure - I understand football head coaching interviews isn't the same thing as hiring for a corporate role, but there's definitely parallels where you have a resume in front of you and think this person is a frontrunner for the role based on their experience, then they get in front of you and totally bomb the interview or come off unprepared. Not saying that's what happened with Steichen, but if for whatever reason the interview didn't go well, and you can't interview the guy again in person until 1/30 at the earliest, sometimes you have to make the decision on whether or not you want to give that person a second chance in person or pivot to someone who aced the interview. And yes, acing the interview isn't the only thing that matters, but for god's sake interviews exist for a reason. If it was just as easy as hiring the top coordinators from the top teams year in and year out, there wouldn't be any HCs that flame out.

Edited by UNCrules2187

16 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Then flaming Tepper for not closing the deal with Fangio over $ when Josina Anderson clearly reported that Carolina made Fangio an offer that would make him the highest paid DC in the league and he took that back to Miami and asked them to match. Sometimes you get played for leverage to get what you want from where you really want to go (allegedly given he hasn't even signed that contract with Miami yet).

Florida also has no income tax, so even if we offered him the exact same amount as Miami, he was still walking away with more money with them. 

• Pie 1