• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Profile: Frank Reich

Mr. Scot

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm fine with Reich. I think a lot of the problems was the roster assembly up there under Broussard or whoever the GM was. Not to mention Irsay, and while Tepper is poo, HE AIN'T IRSAY. Continuity was beyond his control as Irsay kept wanting splashes (well poo so does this fanbase). But whoever takes over the deal better be four years and no more. We need the Bengals model to be successful. Just remember the Jacksonville game for the Colts last year and how awfully mismanaged that was. I don't think any of these three would serve as a good head coach, but out of the three, it should be wilks just because we know what we already have. If we have interviewed this many people and it's a no, and nobody has said from which side the NO came from, that is a HUUUUUUUUUGE red flag much like this past preseason. 

Speaking of roster construction, just take a look at this https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm fine with Reich. I think a lot of the problems was the roster assembly up there under Broussard or whoever the GM was. Not to mention Irsay, and while Tepper is poo, HE AIN'T IRSAY. Continuity was beyond his control as Irsay kept wanting splashes (well poo so does this fanbase). But whoever takes over the deal better be four years and no more. We need the Bengals model to be successful. Just remember the Jacksonville game for the Colts last year and how awfully mismanaged that was. I don't think any of these three would serve as a good head coach, but out of the three, it should be wilks just because we know what we already have. If we have interviewed this many people and it's a no, and nobody has said from which side the NO came from, that is a HUUUUUUUUUGE red flag much like this past preseason. 

For those who keep referencing the Jacksonville/Colts game….did you same people not watch the Panthers/Bucs game week 17?  If we can forget that terrible performance from Wilks, then we can forget the Colts performance against the Jags.  

• Pie 2

Something I've noticed is that Reich is a man of faith, very devoted there. I seriously wonder if that's why he and Wentz are so tight together. Thing about Wentz though is that he was rumored to really push it on his teammates even when they weren't receptive to it. Really hope we don't pick up Wentz here, would immediately tank any goodwill he would have in Charlotte if hired. 

Look, Reich isn't the most exciting hire ever and not what I wanted but he is a successful NFL coach who could certainly build a NFL staff. That's fine with me and he does seem like a good leader to have up top.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

A Colts blogger put together a series of fairly well researched articles on Frank Reich back in 2018 that were still informative today.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/6/17030658/frank-reichs-offense-an-introduction

Out of the three that have had second interviews announced, I think Moore is the only candidate that I'm sour on.

Great find...

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

He has a lot to prove?

then what about some young guy who has been a coordinator for 2-3 years and never lead a locker-room in his life?

I never said that young guys did not have a lot to prove, but you pretty much know what you're getting with Reich or Wilks: if you're lucky, something above mediocrity but probably not great. They've both been out-coached by some of the better minds in the game. Young minds came up watching different game and may develop more innovative approaches due to their different perspectives.

You'll never land the McVays, Shanahans or Siriannis of the world if all you tend to do is go the safe, conservative route. 

Edited by top dawg

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Expect Reich to develop players around the scheme as opposed to developing a scheme around players' strengths. And I think that this mindset will seep into general play calling as well situational play calling.

The Steelers operated that way forever(drafting and acquiring players to fit established systems) and never had it hurt them.