• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich New Head Coach

NJPanthers12

3 hours ago, falconcoach2006 said:

I find it interesting that so few people bring up what Steve Wilks inherited. He went 6-6 without any coaches of his choosing. The style of play that Wilks was criticized for was not just a product of a defensive coach's view of offense, but it was a reflection of the offensive talent on the Panthers. One proven wide receiver, a QB carousel, no CMC, and a conservative OC. The fact that he won 6 games with the limited offensive talent is a testimony to doing more with less.  I would have loved to see what Coach Wilks could have done if he had the opportunity to bring in his own staff.  I would love to have seen who he would have reached out to and hired as his OC and QB coach and to have a chance to help shape the roster. As for the two games some posters mentioned that sealed Coach Wilks fate, the Pittsburgh game was a "head scratcher".  However, Kansas City losing to Indy was a "head scratcher", Jacksonville beating Dallas at the time was a "head scratcher". It happens to best of teams and is more prone to happen to teams with a low margin of error, like the Panthers.  Remember, the Panthers were leading 20-10 in the 4th quarter at Tampa Bay, before Tom Brady went "Tom Brady" and hooked up with Mike Evans for critical touchdowns.  How many times has Brady done that to better teams than the Panthers?  Also, no Jaycee Horn or Dante Jackson and corners being manned by C. J. Henderson, Keith Taylor, a recently signed and much older Josh Norman and practice squad promotions.  Also, what about multiple Sam Darnold turnovers?  Didn't they also play a role in the defeat? I agree that Coach Wilks will be alright, but he did get a raw deal.  I really wonder even if he had won the NFC South, if he would have suffered the same fate.  One more thing, Eric Beineimy not even interviewed is a joke.  I hope Coach Wilks and the other coaches that filed the lawsuit against the NFL get a multi-million dollar settlement.  It is apparent that black coaches are held to a higher standard, given fewer opportunities, and given less time to prove themselves.  

Oh my god take the L. Wilks is an assistant coach. Who was pursued by no one else. We are done with mediocrity here, f the Rivera era. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

pulling poo out of his ass. He wont be able to asnswer but here is the piece that will make his argument exactly what it is... bullshit.  Reich was the originator of the Mesh concept you see run by many young OCs today. 

Perfectly fine to like this hire.  But Reich is in no way, shape, or form the originator of the mesh concept.

8 hours ago, panthers55 said:

So here is the thing, the whole mediocre thing has been played to death. If you want us to be glad your back then give it a rest. We haven't even started the offseason and free agency is months away. At least wait until the draft and the end of free agency before you start throwing shade. Fitterer will be swinging for the fence again this year.  Let's hope he makes solid contact this time.

False hope... that's the new motto around here then....

....but on a another note..I just woke up from a dream....

The Panthers made it to the Superbowl finally after 13 years...don't ask me why or how....I just remembered the announcer  saying something about Carolina hasn't been back to the big game in 13 years...

Fast forward....we were playing the 

3-peat Superbowl winner..

It was a very close first half...then we got blew out in the second half.

Reich said this was his last game coaching and he would retire afterwards.

And then the next guy at the podium was Steve Wilks...

A bit confused I thought maybe he was our DC until I realized he was wearing a Colts logo shirt...

The next thing I heard was someone asking how it feels to win 4 Superbowls back to back to back to back....

He started of saying "give them guys in Carolina some credit, after my internship, I learned to never accept mediocrity...  "

• Pie 1
  • Poo 4

4 hours ago, Asaria said:

Awww poor Wilks fan is mad that his butt buddy didn't get the job.

It's ok, just close your eyes when Reich goes for it on 4th and 1 at Midfield instead of punting, I know it will be very traumatizing for you otherwise.

87B3FAD5-1D90-4B67-BF6F-FEC7AB0D2BB2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Come on now there is nothing against Wilks. He coached his style and did the best he could.  We just went a different direction.

2 hours ago, GuessWhosBack said:

False hope... that's the new motto around here then....

....but on a another note..I just woke up from a dream....

The Panthers made it to the Superbowl finally after 13 years...don't ask me why or how....I just remembered the announcer  saying something about Carolina hasn't been back to the big game in 13 years...

Fast forward....we were playing the 

3-peat Superbowl winner..

It was a very close first half...then we got blew out in the second half.

Reich said this was his last game coaching and he would retire afterwards.

And then the next guy at the podium was Steve Wilks...

A bit confused I thought maybe he was our DC until I realized he was wearing a Colts logo shirt...

The next thing I heard was someone asking how it feels to win 4 Superbowls back to back to back to back....

He started of saying "give them guys in Carolina some credit, after my internship, I learned to never accept mediocrity...  "

Cry. You Wilks fans are so pathetic. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, SuperBowlBound said:

I understand some are angry that Wilks didn't get the job. Remember, Tepper said he'd be in consideration if he did "an incredible job." Last I checked, 6-6 is average. In context, yes, Wilks did good damn work with what he was given. Additionally, Tepper let Wilks run the team as he saw fit and did not interfere.

For Wilks, it boiled down to the Tampa game. He didn't get it done. He got conservative - as most defensive minded head coaches do - on 4th & 1 when it was clear you needed to score points to win that game. The Panthers also came out flat in some games, they were not consistent.

A lot of the Wilks love stems from the fact he is from Charlotte and has been part of the Panthers when they were successful. He also brought an identity to the team. 6-6 was accepted with just how incompetent Rhule was. 

I'm far from a Tepper apologist, the dude has made plenty of mistakes. But - Reich is a proven head coach in this league. Since their inception, the Panthers have had a top 10 scoring offense 6 times (96/99/05/08/11/15). In four full seasons at the helm in Indy (not counting this year), Reich had that 3 times. 

This isn't yesteryear's NFL. Yes, you still need to have an effective run game and competent defense. But you have to be able to score points. The rules have literally been changed to favor the offense. Offense is more consistent year to year than defense is. 18 of the last 20 teams to reach the conference championship game (including all 4 this year) have offensive minded head coaches.

The Panthers have to get with the times. This is a step in that direction. Will it work? Time will tell. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that people are ridiculing Reich, a proven head coach, when many had optimism for the snake oil salesman that pretended to be a football coach.

This is why I wasn't upset that Tepper opted to pivot away from Steve Wilks. I would have supported him if he had got the job. I can't see Wilks taking over as HC and improving the offense to the point where we could go toe to toe with the great offenses in the NFL. We've been in the league 28 seasons and still haven't posted back to back winning seasons. The one thing we've lacked during that period was an offensive minded HC. I much more confidence in Reich to acquire/develop a productive QB(which is what this team desperately needs) than Wilks.

• Pie 1

Me: I like the hire. Reich has a track record of winning with questionable QBs has a ring, and will bring the panthers into the modern age of offensive football

posters on Facebook Instagram Twitter and Reddit: racist wonder showzen GIF

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I’m not even acknowledging the vocal minority who actually wanted Wilks at this point. They have no argument. 6-6 is not good to be a shoe in for one of these jobs. The narrative has gotten insane.

Yet they’ll keep making topics and long winded rants. If this keeps up the mods need to do something. Reich is the coach now. They need to support him or just shut up. 
I would have done the same thing if Wilks had of been made HC. I may not of liked it but I would support him and hop it worked out. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1