• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Let the Great Be the Enemy of the Good.

TheMaulClaw

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Was last season the only one Reich coached?

No, but last season record is what everyone brings up. I just think it's funny that's why he is a bad coach because he went 6-6 with someone else staff but it's ok you can go 3-5-1 with your hand pick staff and that don't matter at all. Again we talking LAST SEASON.

Imagine if DJ don't take his helmet off and we miss the extra points, or CJ know how to play Corner Wilks could have EZ been 8-4 with games we had in hand. Just saying

1 minute ago, NCBlu said:

No, but last season record is what everyone brings up. I just think it's funny that's why he is a bad coach because he went 6-6 with someone else staff but it's ok you can go 3-5-1 with your hand pick staff and that don't matter at all. Again we talking LAST SEASON.

Imagine if DJ don't take his helmet off and we miss the extra points, or CJ know how to play Corner Wilks could have EZ been 8-4 with games we had in hand. Just saying

If irsay minded his business and didnt tell Reich who to play at qb...........

see how that game is played?

and why are you just looking at one season?

1 minute ago, NCBlu said:

Isn’t Steve Wilks specialty supposed to be the secondary? 

7 minutes ago, NCBlu said:

People talk about last season because it's only one of two that Steve Wilks has to his credit as a head coach.

And if you're a fan of his, well...the other one might be something you wouldn't wanna bring up.

Im reality, trying to limit the discussion to last season Is an attempt to avoid bringing inconvenient facts into the discussion.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

They want safe.

Wilks would've been the safe hire. 

Fanbase (for the most part) would've been happy, and the national media would be praising Tepper.

I guess Tepper would rather win, and he thinks Reich is the better option for that. I hope he's right.

• Beer 1

the panthers weren’t even swinging for great with the Reich hire, they were just overcorrecting on the Rhule debacle and wanted a guy who could install a formidable offensive infrastructure that can develop a rookie QB

its a high floor scenario which could potentially yield great success if they knock the QB out of the park, but it isn’t some big swing on a superstar up and coming offensive mind

Reich is more experienced than Wilks, he’s had much more success than Wilks had, he has more connections than Wilks has, and he has insight offensively

there is nothing about Wilks’ career to guarantee “good,” and all the signs point to “concerning.”

his way of coaching isn’t conducive to sustained success in the NFL, it’s conducive to beating up on bad teams and getting humiliated by good ones, and oh look, that’s exactly his track record (here, not in AZ where it was worse)

”but he didn’t have a QB” 

And doesn’t have the assets or resume’ to suggest he would develop one.

”why not just sign carr and POUND THE ROCK”

because the goal is to win Super Bowls 

• Pie 5

I dont get why people are either all in on Wilks or all in on Reich..

Wilks did a good job given what he was given. Reich was not, not hired because he could no coach he was not hired because we need to fix the QB position and we need a guy that has experience doing that. 

Hiring Reich is not a knock on Wilks ability to coach, its just that it was not the fit we need at this time. 

Gosh some of you guys are like personally offended. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont get why people are either all in on Wilks or all in on Reich..

Wilks did a good job given what he was given. Reich was not, not hired because he could no coach he was not hired because we need to fix the QB position and we need a guy that has experience doing that. 

Hiring Reich is not a knock on Wilks ability to coach, its just that it was not the fit we need at this time. 

Gosh some of you guys are like personally offended. 

Exactly, Wilks earned respected and an interview. He just isn’t the guy the team needs right now.

42 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I agree.  Is Reich a home run hire? That's the question.  Imagine if we start 0-2.

if that happens i imagine there would be a lot of panicking and "i told you so"s going on but the season isn't over after 2 games. 

the thing i like is that there isn't going to be a learning curve like there would be with a new HC. we know he knows the game and we know he knows how to run a winning team. we know he knows how to take a team with a less than ideal QB situation and turn it into a team that wins much more than it loses. 

i would have felt good about wilks getting the full time gig, but i feel better about reich getting it because of him being an offensive minded coach with a track record of success. i think both wilks and reich were safe bets because of their experience as a head coach. both were safe bets meaning that you could feel good that they would succeed in making us a competitive and winning team. 

i think both would have produced a winning team. with the league heavily favoring offense and the QB position being the most important one on any team, it makes sense to have not just an offensive minded coach, but one with experience as a QB. i know for us it's essential because since Cam's demise and exit (x2) that is where we've had the most problems. 

I think that if getting the QB situation right wasn't such an issue for us, wilks probably would have been the guy. but our needs, as they are, and the high priority of those needs...reich was the choice that made the most sense for us.