• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Statement from Steve Wilks

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, he is kind of whining through his lawyer.  I don't really appreciate Carolina being looked at in the discrimination lawsuit angle of things.  Not that I'm a pom pom guy for these owners, I actually hate the ownership aspect of sports.  Yet when it comes to this situation, it's bogus.  Heck, even if Tepper had something against Wilks personally, the actual decision of letting Wilks go was the right decision in football terms.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Well, he is kind of whining through his lawyer.  I don't really appreciate Carolina being looked at in the discrimination lawsuit angle of things.  Not that I'm a pom pom guy for these owners, I actually hate the ownership aspect of sports.  Yet when it comes to this situation, it's bogus.  Heck, even if Tepper had something against Wilks personally, the actual decision of letting Wilks go was the right decision in football terms.

Don't want to get into any of that stuff in this thread, honestly. We've already had a couple of threads closed today.

For now, this is kudos and thank you to a very good man whom we're lucky to have had be part of the team.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

Again, love Coach Wilks.  I was telling someone else, it just sucks that he is from a defensive background, because as a leader?  That dude is special.  But we need the aggressive mindset that comes with an offensive background if we want to get the franchise turned in the right direction, and we have a long, established history of where and how often defensive-minded coaching falls short after 27 years, and we just couldn't go down that path again - by no fault of Coach Wilks.  And again, I maintain, he is one of the best 32 coaches in the NFL, and I certainly hope he gets another shot at a HC gig.  He deserves it.  

All the best, Coach!  And thank you for all you have done!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I feel certain that Steve Wilks was feeling let down because he didn't get the Panthers HC position but he still showed his usual class in the wording of his statements.

I really liked Wilks and wish him the best of fortune going forward. He is a good leader of men and will be an asset to the next team that receives the benefit of his input.

16 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Again, love Coach Wilks.  I was telling someone else, it just sucks that he is from a defensive background, because as a leader?  That dude is special.  But we need the aggressive mindset that comes with an offensive background if we want to get the franchise turned in the right direction, and we have a long, established history of where and how often defensive-minded coaching falls short after 27 years, and we just couldn't go down that path again - by no fault of Coach Wilks.  And again, I maintain, he is one of the best 32 coaches in the NFL, and I certainly hope he gets another shot at a HC gig.  He deserves it.  

All the best, Coach!  And thank you for all you have done!

Agreed. I really hope he gets a job somewhere. That team would be lucky to have him. You give him a f*cked up situation and he'll have that team turned around quickly. 

I think he would do really well with the texans or even denver. 

i'd love to see what Wilks could do with Wilson in Denver. Seems like Wilson needs someone like Wilks to get his head straight. 

I don’t see how he could say anything but thank you. 
I know he wanted the HC job. 
However when he accepted the interim he was told exactly what they wanted to do moving forward. He was also told he would be considered if he did a great job blah blah … don’t remember exactly how it was said.. 

They interviewed him and waited to the very end to go the way the owner and FO said they originally wanted to go.