• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich interview w/ Balboni

B_Eazi

44 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Aren't we constantly being told that draft position makes all the difference and you can't find a QB late in the draft? 

Yes, it’s much more likely that you find a franchise QB in the first round than you would in later rounds. For every Tom Brady there’s 75 Tony Pikes, Stefan Lefors, and Will Griers.  I’m not sure why this is something that needs to be explained?

And you missed the whole point which is that a good scheme can make even a marginal QB look much better than they would be just based on draft position.

This I agree with, although surrounding talent has a lot to do with it too. Shanahans system is amazing, but it works because they have chess pieces like Deebo and Kittle and Aiyuk and some running back who used to play for our team. It also doesn’t hurt that they have the leagues #1 defense too to make fields shorter and put less pressure on their QB to have to take risks. I don’t see how our roster can be that in one offseason. Especially since now we will have two offensive linemen who will be coming off of major injuries after a win that got Wilks to .500 after being eliminated from the playoffs.

And if we get one of the top qbs in the league, then if Reich is as good as advertised then he should have them playing at a high level much like Purdy.

see above

Edited by X-Clown

2 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I mean we had a pretty good experience with Cam.

Is that your goal with a #1 pick? Experience? A show? Short of winning a single SB, that is a bad pick. All that draft capital and cap space wasted when you can get the same production from handing the keys to a 6th round to undrafted QB.

A #1 QB no one wants after 8 years in the NFL? Not even the fans of his own team.

Reich is about to show us how it's done with Eason and Foles.

19 hours ago, CRA said:

I agree you don't know what you SOS will be heading into any season.  But we know what it was. We know what it was for the 2022 Panthers.  Weak and easy.   And Wilks went .500 with that. 

Wilks did adapt from what Rhule did.  And it allowed us to be competitive w/ a weak schedule.   

But we couldn't run the ball worth a poo vs good run defenses.   Good overall teams easily handled the Wilks' Panthers.  Wilks selective did what you are praising him on.   Opponent is relevant. 

I'm sure Frank would love to have CMC to make his life easy on a QB like Purdy.  A Deboo would be even more icing on the cake.  And a Kittle.   49ers have probably the 2 best overall backfield/receiving threats in the entire NFL in CMC/Deboo.  Plus a top 3 TE.  It's not just scheme and coaching for why Purdy is working out right now.    The talent around the QB is on a different planet in SF right now to deal with inexperienced QB play.  Take away CMC/Deboo/Kittle and give Shanahan Foreman, Moore, Thomas.....and Purdy most likely isn't being celebrated to the extent he is. 

Moore could easily fit in to the Deebo/CMC mold. Always thought he wasn't being properly utilized here. He's much more versatile. Add in Shenault with CMC and this offense was a TE away from SF level playmakers. Shanahan would have made those guys household names.

17 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Is that your goal with a #1 pick? Experience? A show? Short of winning a single SB, that is a bad pick. All that draft capital and cap space wasted when you can get the same production from handing the keys to a 6th round to undrafted QB.

A #1 QB no one wants after 8 years in the NFL? Not even the fans of his own team.

Reich is about to show us how it's done with Eason and Foles.

I mean I operate under the assumption that Superbowls are fixed...so yes. It's what I want.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Aren't we constantly being told that draft position makes all the difference and you can't find a QB late in the draft?  How many snaps did Purdy take in the regular season before he started.  You seem to have taken the illogical to another level. And you missed the whole point which is that a good scheme can make even a marginal QB look much better than they would be just based on draft position. And if we get one of the top qbs in the league, then if Reich is as good as advertised then he should have them playing at a high level much like Purdy.

What if I told you a higher percentage of 6th round or later QBs get to the playoffs more than 1st round picks?

What if you found out 1st round QBs win the SB for the coach and team that drafted them at the same rate as 6th round to undrafted QBs?

Now, I will offer you a deeper pool of candidates to choose from with less competition. You can also develop them at your own pace.

And for all this, I will offer you an elite skilled position player, 5 star defensive playmaker, or 4 extra mid round picks to pair with your QB of choice.

You still want that 1st round QB with a top 15 pick?

27 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

What if I told you a higher percentage of 6th round or later QBs get to the playoffs more than 1st round picks?

What if you found out 1st round QBs win the SB for the coach and team that drafted them at the same rate as 6th round to undrafted QBs?

Now, I will offer you a deeper pool of candidates to choose from with less competition. You can also develop them at your own pace.

And for all this, I will offer you an elite skilled position player, 5 star defensive playmaker, or 4 extra mid round picks to pair with your QB of choice.

Sounds like a lot of huddlers who keep talking about the only place to find your franchise QB is in the top 10 might disagree with you.

5 hours ago, trueblade said:

Historical data indicates we should expect the 2023 NFC South Champion to have at least 10 wins. 

Every previous time a division has been won by a sub-.500 team (and TB finished 8-9), the following season the division winner had at least 10 wins. Granted the sample size is small and negative regression is still a possibility.

Example: Here's the last three years of NFC East champions: 

2020 - 7-9 

2021 - 12-4 

2022 - 14-2

Who might win 10 games in this division if not us? And how does that mesh with all the excuses that are already being pushing by huddlers that we could have a losing season and make progress because our roster is so bad.

Edited by panthers55

5 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

What happens to your figures if you take Brady and Warner out? 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

See what Reich can do with Matt Corral. I'm almost certain that's one of the main players he would like to see on campus face to face to see if he can just roll with Young Lion and focus on defense or if necessary draft a QB.

I don't think drafting a QB will be necessary after Reich works out Matt Corral. He'll be impressed.

14 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

See what Reich can do with Matt Corral. I'm almost certain that's one of the main players he would like to see on campus face to face to see if he can just roll with Young Lion and focus on defense or if necessary draft a QB.

I don't think drafting a QB will be necessary after Reich works out Matt Corral. He'll be impressed.

He really doesn't have much choice but to see what the kid has. It's not like we have a stable of studs to choose from. There be a new face or two add in the mix I hope.  I cannot see them not taking another qb in this draft so the worry worts can step back from the ledge.

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

He really doesn't have much choice but to see what the kid has. It's not like we have a stable of studs to choose from. There be a new face or two add in the mix I hope.  I cannot see them not taking another qb in this draft so the worry worts can step back from the ledge.

There's also the possibility of them looking at Daniel Jones who will test free agency.

6'5" 230lbs, runs like a gazelle with power, throws with accuracy and good armstrength. 67% regular season completion percentage 62% postseason.

Charlotte native, Panther fan. Who else is coming home?