• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pat McAfee and Greg Olsen on Cam Newton

NAS

For those that don’t remember, Jason Peter was likely addicted to pain meds when he came out of college. It’s possible he was already doing harder drugs (those mid nineties Nebraska teams….woo lad) but I doubt it. 

Rashard Anderson was LITERALLY a heroin dealer when he was drafted. 

not hard to see how that went. 

8 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

For those that don’t remember, Jason Peter was likely addicted to pain meds when he came out of college. It’s possible he was already doing harder drugs (those mid nineties Nebraska teams….woo lad) but I doubt it. 

Rashard Anderson was LITERALLY a heroin dealer when he was drafted. 

not hard to see how that went. 

Peter being drafted after I think it was Dom Anile (might have been Jack Bushofsky) telling Vonnie Holliday he'd run to the podium to draft him and dance on the table in celebration was an early "facepalm" moment in team history.

Whichever it was, I know they made some lame, stupid sounding excuse when asked about it later.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Man that was tough to watch. I love cam and it still bothers me what the three headed idiot of Tepper, Hurney, and Rhule did to him. Miss watching cam under center every Sunday. 

kills me they weren’t able to win a super bowl for him. Most important athlete to ever step foot in Charlotte and I don’t even think it’s close. He gave us a hell of a 10 year run.

Edited by NJPanthers12

3 hours ago, AggieLean said:

I miss Cam. Oh, what could have been…

My favorite NFL player of all time. Best panther of all time.

I can't think of many I would put above Cam in my list of all time favorite players in the NFL. From the first time I saw him play (the Iron Bowl) I knew that guy was going to be a game changer and I knew I wanted him to be a panther. I've never had that reaction to any other player.

I have said since his first couple years in the league that he was a HoF player, even just because of his rookie year he should be part of the hall. 

Cam changed the game in a huge way and he changed the role of a QB. Obviously there are a lot of holdbacks that are stuck in the past where the primary role of the QB was to pass the ball, but anyone paying attention will have noticed that the game has been constantly evolving over the past 100 years. 

The job of the QB is to move the ball forward any way possible, whether that be by handing the ball off, throwing the ball, or running the ball themselves. The latter has always been a part of the job but that was done rarely. 

There was a stigma attached to QBs that could and did run the ball that the reason they ran was because they weren't good passers. They used their legs because they couldn't throw like a real QB. 

Many thought that Cam felt into that category and were expecting yet another "running QB". And many felt like he could only run because he wasn't smart enough to handle or understand an offense that involved any kind of passing beyond throwing to your first read. 

In his rookie year he completely changed that perception. He blew away the myth that you had to be either a running QB or a "proper" QB. Cam showed that you could do both and be prolific in each. He set records as a rookie passer that NO ONE saw coming, not even those of us who believed he could be a great all around QB. 

And he kept doing it and he kept changing the role of the QB with every game. He paved the way for the modern mobile QB. He opened doors for guys like Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson. Few people have had the impact on a game the way that he did and he was ours. I just hate that he wasn't better coached and that he wasn't on a team that was better coached because we could have ...we should have had not just one but several rings. 

I miss a lot of players that were favorites of mine, but none as much as him. 

• Pie 6

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I can't think of many I would put above Cam in my list of all time favorite players in the NFL. From the first time I saw him play (the Iron Bowl) I knew that guy was going to be a game changer and I knew I wanted him to be a panther. I've never had that reaction to any other player.

I have said since his first couple years in the league that he was a HoF player, even just because of his rookie year he should be part of the hall. 

Cam changed the game in a huge way and he changed the role of a QB. Obviously there are a lot of holdbacks that are stuck in the past where the primary role of the QB was to pass the ball, but anyone paying attention will have noticed that the game has been constantly evolving over the past 100 years. 

The job of the QB is to move the ball forward any way possible, whether that be by handing the ball off, throwing the ball, or running the ball themselves. The latter has always been a part of the job but that was done rarely. 

There was a stigma attached to QBs that could and did run the ball that the reason they ran was because they weren't good passers. They used their legs because they couldn't throw like a real QB. 

Many thought that Cam felt into that category and were expecting yet another "running QB". And many felt like he could only run because he wasn't smart enough to handle or understand an offense that involved any kind of passing beyond throwing to your first read. 

In his rookie year he completely changed that perception. He blew away the myth that you had to be either a running QB or a "proper" QB. Cam showed that you could do both and be prolific in each. He set records as a rookie passer that NO ONE saw coming, not even those of us who believed he could be a great all around QB. 

And he kept doing it and he kept changing the role of the QB with every game. He paved the way for the modern mobile QB. He opened doors for guys like Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson. Few people have had the impact on a game the way that he did and he was ours. I just hate that he wasn't better coached and that he wasn't on a team that was better coached because we could have ...we should have had not just one but several rings. 

I miss a lot of players that were favorites of mine, but none as much as him. 

Cam's "problem" in the NFL had nothing to do with his abilities, but the abilities of the OC we had for most of his career.  If Norv Turner had followed Rob Chudzinski instead of Mike Shula it is very possible that we have multiple SB appearances and Cam might still be healthy.

Even with a very injured and depleted Cam, you could see what Norv did for his game.  He made Cam a better passer and student of the game.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Cam's "problem" in the NFL had nothing to do with his abilities, but the abilities of the OC we had for most of his career.  If Norv Turner had followed Rob Chudzinski instead of Mike Shula it is very possible that we have multiple SB appearances and Cam might still be healthy.

Even with a very injured and depleted Cam, you could see what Norv did for his game.  He made Cam a better passer and student of the game.

Pretty much.

Mike Shula punted on the task of trying to mold Newton into an NFL quarterback. He chose instead to try and build an offense around college concepts thinking Newton would function best in that type of system.

Norv Turner came in and showed that Newton absolutely could be coached into a pro level QB. What he couldn't do though was undo the wear and tear that Newton had already taken.

I'd agree that it would have been better if we'd have gotten Turner early, but part of me will always wonder what could have been If Rivera had chosen Pat Shurmur as his OC rather than Shula.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Byron Bell

Nate Chandler

Shameful. 

Byron Bell was UNDRAFTED.

Nate Chandler was an UNDRAFTED Defensive Tackle. Became a starting RT in the NFL after playing the position for less than 1 year. How does someone do something for less than a year and is allowed to compete against the best in the world at what they do? And he wasn't a good enough athlete to even be drafted. 

They did Cam so dirty. Should have just drafted Von Miller or JJ Watt if they were gonna ignore the offense.

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Cams other problem was that the league, especially the refs, had a problem with him and felt he should be put in his place. 

He brought a bravado that we needed to see as a fan base, but that bravado ran too many of the stoic/static establishment types the wrong way and the let him take a beating from defenders that no other QB has ever been allowed to take. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

Cams other problem was that the league, especially the refs, had a problem with him and felt he should be put in his place. 

He brought a bravado that we needed to see as a fan base, but that bravado ran too many of the stoic/static establishment types the wrong way and the let him take a beating from defenders that no other QB has ever been allowed to take. 

And the irony is they now treat Mahomes like a God.  Funny how that thinking changes when it's not a small market team.

• Pie 2