• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC South Division being weak next year could influence trading up for a QB this year?

wesley17

It's a fair question but I don't see how you can assume success with a rookie qb and new coach. Hell, I'm sure that thinking went into play when Denver traded two 1sts and 2nds for Russell Wilson. They were taking a strong core with a great defense with the one missing piece being a qb and competent coaching; fair assumption they should have been in instant playoff contention. Well fast forward a year later, and Denver is giving up the 5th and 36th pick in the draft this year. And that's with what was thought to be a known commodity with Russell Wilson. Now take a rookie qb instead who is never a sure thing, and I think you can see where I'm going with this. We could crash and burn and then end up giving away a top 3 pick that could've been Drake Maye or Caleb Williams or whoever separates themselves next year.

Every previous time a division has been won by a sub-.500 team (and TB finished 8-9), the following season the division winner had at least 10 wins. Small sample size, but it has held up thus far.

Example: Here's the last three years of NFC East champions: 

2020 - 7-9 

2021 - 12-4 

2022 - 14-2

• Pie 1

I have been thinking lately Stroud with this current roster can win the division next year. If that happens then those picks lose value anyway. Hell, if you dont do it than we are not gonna be bad enough to get a top qb next year so you are still looking at trading up for a unknown and you will be competing with other teams in our division plus the rest of the league...that worries me a little bit. The NFC as a whole is just going into a rebuild mode seems like, especially if green bay moves on from A Rod. I see a lot of teams scrambling to get a new franchise guy in place. It may be well worth it to go all out and get ours now to avoid the stampede.

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

It's a fair question but I don't see how you can assume success with a rookie qb and new coach. Hell, I'm sure that thinking went into play when Denver traded two 1sts and 2nds for Russell Wilson. They were taking a strong core with a great defense with the one missing piece being a qb and competent coaching; fair assumption they should have been in instant playoff contention. Well fast forward a year later, and Denver is giving up the 5th and 36th pick in the draft this year. And that's with what was thought to be a known commodity with Russell Wilson. Now take a rookie qb instead who is never a sure thing, and I think you can see where I'm going with this. We could crash and burn and then end up giving away a top 3 pick that could've been Drake Maye or Caleb Williams or whoever separates themselves next year.

Maybe and Caleb are not promised either.

And every year it seems people suggest waiting for the next class of QB's they will be better.

I remember because people were saying wait for Bryce and Stroud last year.

We can't keep waiting nothing is promised. Go get our guy now. We deal with the results later.

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I have been thinking lately Stroud with this current roster can win the division next year. If that happens then those picks lose value anyway. Hell, if you dont do it than we are not gonna be bad enough to get a top qb next year so you are still looking at trading up for a unknown and you will be competing with other teams in our division plus the rest of the league...that worries me a little bit. The NFC as a whole is just going into a rebuild mode seems like, especially if green bay moves on from A Rod. I see a lot of teams scrambling to get a new franchise guy in place. It may be well worth it to go all out and get ours now to avoid the stampede.

Exactly.

This roster is set up nicely for a rookie QB. We finally have a pretty decent Oline. We have a young defense. I definitely think we could win with Stroud or Young.

Tepper needs to sell out for them though. The time is now!

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Well that’s also in a tough division and I’ve always said this team around Wilson that was getting so much hype was overrated. Good defense, decent offense. A tier lower each than the talking heads were saying. Plus Wilson was never a guy that could carry a team anyway, he needed the LoB and Lynch to carry him. 

10 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

San Fran with Lance and the Jets with Wilson would unfortunately agree. San Fran gave up multiple 1s and have little to show for it.  No guarantee our draft pick will work out regardless of where we pick. You can't put all your eggs in that basket. I am glad we have Corral as well. He was a good value

Edited by panthers55

Do whatever it takes to get our guy, just don't have our guy be another reclaimation project, aging mid-tier veteran, or accused sexual predator.

It's Young/Stroud or bust as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how many picks it takes to trade up. We've got a good enough team right now that a talented young QB can step in and put us firmly in the driver's seat in the NFC South for the foreseeable future.

After that it all comes down to developing the guy. A couple years without a 1st round pick won't cripple us if we get this right; continuing to half-ass the QB position most certainly will.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt
  • Pie 1

I wish we could put the trading away future 1st picks to bed.  If we trade up to say the 1st pick, you better believe we are trading away our soul for the next 2 or possibly even 3 drafts to come.  Remember, Justin Fields was selected with the 11th pick.  There's a chance CJ Stroud could fall to the 9th pick for us. (For those who want him.  I certainly wouldn't be against him if he is available)  If he's not there, I wouldn't be against drafting Anthony Richardson or Will Levis.  One of those guys will be available at 9.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I wish we could put the trading away future 1st picks to bed.  If we trade up to say the 1st pick, you better believe we are trading away our soul for the next 2 or possibly even 3 drafts to come.  Remember, Justin Fields was selected with the 11th pick.  There's a chance CJ Stroud could fall to the 9th pick for us. (For those who want him.  I certainly wouldn't be against him if he is available)  If he's not there, I wouldn't be against drafting Anthony Richardson or Will Levis.  One of those guys will be available at 9.

I've seen a lot of projections lately having use take Levis at 9. I've also seen a few have use taking Stroud at 9. There's a lot of time left before the draft and many many things will happen between now and the draft. Just wait, everything is not as one would believe it to be.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

14 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

It’s not a bad question to ask. This and next years’ first and second to move up and get Stroud? Hell yea. Throw in a player if we need to, hell throw in Burns if for no other reason to satisfy the whiners still bitching about not taking the Rams offer earlier. Could be argued to be similar value if it gets us out QB. 

Is that you, Marty?

40 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Some times you trade up to get what you want .. Thankfully this time the Targets are worth it..

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 2