• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I agree with that about Reich. I like Frank Reich.  I even watched his Northview sermon last night.  This isn't about Reich.  Wilks deserved a legitimate look and he didn't get one, but the Panthers pretended they did, that's all the problem is.

This is bullshet.  Wilks was named interim coach and was absolutely given a chance.  He went 6-6 and did not make the playoffs in a horrible division.  Sick of hearing what an amazing job he did.  He was average as it gets.  Period.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I've said multiple times that I don't think it was racially motivated in Wilks case, but it is clear they did not give him a real interview.

Fair enough. I didn't read the whole thread and missed that. I was originally speaking to what that jackass Bayless was spewing, but to be fair to myself, also counterpointed what you had replied with.

I still think calling it not a 'real interview' is still conjecture though. It's entirely possible that they had both Reich and Wilks as serious candidates down to the wire. It's also entirely possible that it was predetermined as you say, especially with the hiring of Reich's kid a month prior. It's even possible that her hire was a coincidence and had nothing to do with the coach decision as well, and she is the best person for her current job based on merit.

I have no issue with your calling it shady looking. That happens all the time in the corporate world, with extra attention placed on a favorite candidate by the hiring manager. I just have a problem stating it as if it were a fact. Know one knows, and unless someone whistle-blows, no one will probably ever know. Will 100% agree with you that it probably isn't a good look though for the team - nepotism is always ugly, if it applies here. Just not sure what else could have been done, outside of holding off the hire date for his daughter to avoid any suspicion.

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I agree with that about Reich. I like Frank Reich.  I even watched his Northview sermon last night.  This isn't about Reich.  Wilks deserved a legitimate look and he didn't get one, but the Panthers pretended they did, that's all the problem is.

Fair enough, I just don’t understand the thought he didn’t get a legitimate look. For once, the Panthers ran a legitimate search with no leaks. Everyone had a plan that was presented with Wilks and Reich being finalists. In the end Reich was chosen, right, wrong, or indifferent. And I’m not one to openly defend the organization as we’ve obviously made our fair share of mistakes. 😃

20 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Bottom line is Wilks performed better with less then Reich last year. Just a fact. 

An out of context fact used deliberately to try and bolster a weak argument...

If you think that's a valid premise, then you have to be able to apply it elsewhere. For example, using that logic Brandon Staley is a better coach than both Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick (among others) because he had a better record than they did last year.

Quick hint: he's not

Frank Reich has four years of head coaching experience and a winning record. Steve Wilks has essentially one and two thirds years and a losing record. You can say that Wilks was working for a terrible owner in Arizona and he was, but Reich was working for Jim Irsay.

The real bottom line is that any attempt to try and paint Wilks as a superior coach based solely on last season is either deliberately misleading or just plain goofy.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Is anyone going to bring up the fact that historically interim coaches who become permeant coaches on the same team don't usually end up working out? 

That’s one of my big sticking points. There is typically a “rally” effect for the interim. But short of Fisher, there’s been very little success.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Tarheel119 said:

Fair enough, I just don’t understand the thought he didn’t get a legitimate look. For once, the Panthers ran a legitimate search with no leaks. Everyone had a plan that was presented with Wilks and Reich being finalists. In the end Reich was chosen, right, wrong, or indifferent. And I’m not one to openly defend the organization as we’ve obviously made our fair share of mistakes. 😃

I hear that but Reich's daughter was hired weeks ago and like Florio said...attorneys will latch onto that because it would be more shocking if that was coincidence.

1 minute ago, Tarheel119 said:

I hear that but Reich's daughter was hired weeks ago and like Florio said...attorneys will latch onto that because it would be more shocking if that was coincidence.

7 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

His daughter applied with the Panthers when he was still the Colts HC.

The Panthers knew he was going to be fired so they were just getting things ready 😐

Obviously that's a stupid scenario but that's basically what you'd have to believe to take that notion seriously.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

An out of context fact used deliberately to try and bolster a weak argument...

If you think that's a valid premise, then you have to be able to apply it elsewhere. For example, using that logic Brandon Staley is a better coach than both Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick (among others) because he had a better record than they did last year.

Quick hint: he's not

Frank Reich has four years of head coaching experience and a winning record. Steve Wilks has essentially one and two thirds years and a losing record. You can say that Wilks was working for a terrible owner in Arizona and he was, but Reich was working for Jim Irsay.

The real bottom line is that any attempt to try and paint Wilks as a superior coach based solely on last season is either deliberately misleading or just plain goofy.

Ok let's compare the QBs they had.  Do you think Wilks would have done better on AZ his first year with or without Andrew Luck? We can only compare one season because that's all Wilks was given.