• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Be careful, there is something weird happening on this board.  If your honest about this, their are an army of people trying to poo the post.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post. 

I don't have a problem with Reich.  He's a good man and a good coach.  This conversation isn't about him.  This is about the efficacy of the Panthers process or lack thereof.

Reich's daughter being hired weeks ago is an absolute red flag.  In no world is it more likely a coincidence then not.  I happen to think that Reich was decided on while the season was still going on.  There is no way they didn't reach out to Reich after he was let go in Indy.  I don't think there is anything wrong about that either.  What is the issue is the lack of transparency, and lying to Wilks about a possible opportunity he had. 

I don't think it's racially motivated.  I think it is rooted in that the Panthers wanted to go offensive, but they definitely mismanaged the situation, and it's led to an optics and PR nightmare that will result in a nice settlement check owed to Steve Wilks.  As soon as they made the decision to go with an offensive mind they should have disclosed that to Steve as opposed to stringing him along making him believe he had an actual shot at the gig.

Not a smart play with a guy who has active case against the NFL.

The funny thing is that I said before we hired him that Reich is my second choice. I am not against Reich at all. But fair is fair and there was definitely a different standard applied to Wilks so that I don't think he would have been chosen no matter what. Like you I don't think it was racially motivated but I do think it surely wasn't as objective as folks want you to believe. And Reich went 12-13 last year and this year until he was fired so the idea he was the absolute best candidate is certainly not as clear as folks want you to believe.

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

It's not about race, it's about creating a fake interview process.

You have absolutely no evidence of this. Why would we waste time with all the interviews if we already knew who we wanted? Why is it Teppers fault Wilks isnt going to interviews?

14 minutes ago, Raskle said:

Wait.. so there's 31 teams out there with quite a few of them needing a new coach this year, and we're the only ones who actually gave him an interview, yet Tepper is a racist for not hiring him?

What the actual fug?

You could make an argument that he didn't get offers because teams assumed he was going to be the Panthers coach, he isn't the only qualified coach that doesn't get "interviews" or legit consideration.

It's okay to admit the NFL has had some racial discrepancies when it comes to coaches, ownership, and qbs.

It's also okay to like the hiring of Frank Reich.

It's also okay to realize that the team greatly mismanaged the situation and didn't do itself any favors by not perpetuating that notion.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

They should have just been honest with Wilks about their direction as opposed to creating a fake interview process and keeping him in the dark.  It probably cost him opportunity.  I'm sure he would have been hard at work trying to land at another spot much earlier if he had been adequately warned.  No way around it, the Panthers absolutely screwed Steve Wilks.  Not saying it's due to race, but he was screwed over and I am mad for him.  Wilks has been nothing but classy.  He did not deserve this, and we don't deserve him honestly.

I wonder how hard Wilks would have worked if he had been told he wasn't in the running. I agree he wasn't and just got the interviews because Wilks has the support of players and fans

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

The funny thing is that I said before we hired him that Reich is my second choice. I am not against Reich at all. But fair is fair and there was definitely a different standard applied to Wilks so that I don't think he would have been chosen no matter what. Like you I don't think it was racially motivated but I do think it surely wasn't as objective as folks want you to believe. And Reich went 12-13 last year and this year until he was fired so the idea he was the absolute best candidate is certainly not as clear as folks want you to believe.

I too had him as my second choice. Welcome to the Reich side of the FORCE!

Star Wars Scifi GIF by Ev Lockhart

If the Panthers would not have even extended an interview to Wilks, as you suggest, the media blow-up would have been even worse then this. The fact of the matter is, Tepper and the Panthers were in a no-win situation, and regardless of that - they made what they felt was the right decision for the franchise.

Whether you think that is true or not is irrelevant.

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 3

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He also fielded a putrid offense this year too.  No offense to Reich.  I understand people want to point his revolving qb situation, but the same could be said for WIlks and our offense improved under him. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I wonder how hard Wilks would have worked if he had been told he wasn't in the running. I agree he wasn't and just got the interviews because Wilks has the support of players and fans

You could make an arguement that him not working as hard would have benefited the Panthers. 

2 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

If the Panthers would not have even extended an interview to Wilks, as you suggest, the media blow-up would have been even worse then this. The fact of the matter, Tepper in the Panthers were in a no lose situation, and regardless of that - they made what they felt was the right decision for the franchise.

Whether you think that is true or not is irrelevant.

They weren't in a no lose situation, they made a bad choice and they get to deal with the consequences.  Let's not pretend like the Panthers have been a virtuous organization under Tepper, they haven't.  They've been damn near criminal under Tepper.

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I really wanted Wilks as head coach and Reich as OC although I can see that they both wanted the head coaching job and not a coordinator.

5 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

They weren't in a no lose situation, they made a bad choice and they get to deal with the consequences.  Let's not pretend like the Panthers have been a virtuous organization under Tepper, they haven't.  They've been damn near criminal under Tepper.

Made a bad choice? What is wrong with you?

• Pie 1