• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL is Rigged

Diehardpanth02

1 minute ago, Zaximus said:

I think this is a pretty bad comparison when pro wrestling fans have known about how things are for decades.  Thousands of interviews with wrestlers and promoters on how things work.  

I agree, your comparison was bad.  Wrestling fans know it is scripted and don't complain about it.  Some of you allege to know that the NFL is influenced, but are complaining about it.  So comparing it to wrestling fans watching WrestleMania doesn't really work.  

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

Nobody is changing their mind in here.  Either you believe something or you don't.  Again goes back to my earlier point.  You can't change the mind of people who aren't arguing something dependent on facts.

And I don't mean that as an insult.  It is just the truth.  How can I argue against, "one man can decide the outcome of a play."  Like... you can't.  At that point facts don't matter.  It just comes down to what you believe vs what you don't believe. 

Which is why I think this discussion is pointless.  There is nothing to discuss.  You either believe it or you don't.

AD86BCDA-9C44-4299-81D7-5042B7C4AABD.gif.6bbfb24407cad9eb0f8fb12932e59b87.gif

Just now, Mage said:

I agree, your comparison was bad.  Wrestling fans know it is scripted and don't complain about it.  Some of you allege to know that the NFL is influenced, but are complaining about it.  So comparing it to wrestling fans watching WrestleMania doesn't really work.  

When the two organizations are literally entertainment companies it's an OK comparison.  But you are comparing a state of mind which is just dumb between the two.

Just now, Zaximus said:

When the two organizations are literally entertainment companies it's an OK comparison.  But you are comparing a state of mind which is just dumb between the two.

How does the comparison make any kind of sense unless you think the NFL is also scripted?

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Nobody is changing their mind in here.  Either you believe something or you don't.  Again goes back to my earlier point.  You can't change the mind of people who aren't arguing something dependent on facts.

And I don't mean that as an insult.  It is just the truth.  How can I argue against, "one man can decide the outcome of a play."  Like... you can't.  At that point facts don't matter.  It just comes down to what you believe vs what you don't believe. 

Which is why I think this discussion is pointless.  There is nothing to discuss.  You either believe it or you don't.

I chimed in to the thread because OP was presenting topic that is legit and posters attacking and ridiculing the very idea that the league they love could be affected by anything other than on-field performance seems naive from my point of view.  I want to encourage the conversation (on both sides) because IF true it will affect my decision to continue as a fan.  I hope you and others are right and this is making a mountain out of a mole hill but something hasn't felt right about the NFL for a while and not only legitimizing gambling but having owners invest in gambling is betting on a lot of people being sheep.  The house wins again.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

So, you think he is the only one? That's your official stance.   All major sports has been clean and fair outside of him?   Just want to know exactly the stance I am arguing against. 

Nope. Never said that. And I don’t follow NBA enough to care. Want to guess why? 

And my stance is the same as always. The NFL is not risking their credibility on hoping one team goes to the Super Bowl. Your rant is older than me, and is always proven by a well, because…reasons argument. 

I don’t know NBA players. I know several NFL players/coaches. Your theory is laughable. It’s the same as thinking players ever try to lose. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much 😆

Part of me does kind of wish the NFL would steal one thing from pro wrestling though.

If the referees get knocked down, you ought to be able to hit your opponents with a steel chair and then act like nobody saw it.

I was wondering this morning how many of the people making the NFL is rigged claims, bet on the Bengals.  That might explain some of the obsession with the result.

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Nope. Never said that. And I don’t follow NBA enough to care. Want to guess why? 

And my stance is the same as always. The NFL is not risking their credibility on hoping one team goes to the Super Bowl. Your rant is older than me, and is always proven by a well, because…reasons argument. 

I don’t know NBA players. I know several NFL players/coaches. Your theory is laughable. It’s the same as thinking players ever try to lose. 

what is my theory exactly?   Influence.   Nothing more.  It's not as risky as "rigging" a game would be. 

and yeah, players have thrown games before in sports.  That's documented too. 

it's not wild and crazy to think sports is just as corrupt as the rest the world.  Which is well documented.  Rarely in real time though. 

Selling the modern day NFL as some unique outlier is a tough sell.  Which is what you are doing.  

14 minutes ago, Mage said:

"More people are talking about it."

You are living in the moment.

Sports fans have complained about bad calls and the sport being "scripted" since the beginning of time.  This is literally nothing new.  Same is true for NBA, MLB, NHL, etc.  There is nothing that is going to change by people complaining on the internet.  Bad/missed calls has always been a thing.

yes there is something new.  Gambling on outcomes has been not only legitimized but invested in.  And not only invested in but invested in by team ownership.  Typically on a thread like this I would be pie-ing posts like yours.  I rolled my eyes at game-fixing in SB50 and other Panther games.  But I have a feeling something has really changed in the last year or two and I don't mind at all hearing the NFL called out on it.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

what is my theory exactly?   Influence.   Nothing more.  It's not as risky as "rigging" a game would be. 

and yeah, players have thrown games before in sports.  That's documented too. 

it's not wild in crazy to think sports is just as corrupt as the rest the world.  Which is well documented.  Rarely in real time though. 

How did it happen? What would that influence entail that isn’t rigging. 

Please list the NFL players who threw games. I can think of maybe one. How about baseball? Who are all these players? 

It’s also not crazy to think people, even the best, make mistakes. You ever called a game. In any sport? I guess maybe hiring all new replacement refs would help. It worked great before.