• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "running QB" has a huge opportunity this Super Bowl

GOAT

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You don't see the Eagles winning?  I feel like their pressure on a limping Mahomes could be bad news for the Chiefs.  Plus the Eagles have a much better OL than the injured Bengals OL. 

Limping Mahomes will be on his 4th week since the injury. Dont forget we are 2 weeks away from the Super Bowl. He will get much needed rest on that ankle. He wont be 100% but he will more than he was this past weekend and that will be enough to perform against the Eagles.

The Eagles and Bengals gave up the exact same amount of sacks this season. The Eagles give up an average of 2.59 sacks per game. I wouldnt use their oline as the difference maker. I'd use how the Chiefs locked down the Bengals receivers with their game plan.  The doubled both Higgins and Chase and asked the Bengals to beat them in the middle of the field. The Chiefs also completely shutdown the Bengals running game. 

Bengals and Eagles are by design the same team but have Hurts as a running QB. Judging by Hurts performance this past weekend, that shoulder isnt 100% either. Takeaway the missed incompletion from Devonta, and the Eagles had less than 100 yards passing.... 

Lastly, Landon Dickerson was injured late in the game as well..  still waiting on that: Landon Dickerson suffered an injury to his right arm and had to leave early. Dickerson even skipped the blue medical tent and went right to the locker room. Dickerson let his right arm dangle as he walked off the field

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

read above.

So you are arguing both QB's are recovering from an injury but only one will be mostly healthy in two weeks? Chiefs have some banged up players too. I really cannot see any argument that puts the Eagles oline in the same breath as the Bengals oline. I feel at worst their line is around the middle of the pack. This matchup favors the Eagles overall unless they just don't show up. We shall see 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

So you are arguing both QB's are recovering from an injury but only one will be mostly healthy in two weeks? Chiefs have some banged up players too. I really cannot see any argument that puts the Eagles oline in the same breath as the Bengals oline. I feel at worst their line is around the middle of the pack. This matchup favors the Eagles overall unless they just don't show up. We shall see 🤷‍♂️

how does the stat around how many sacks the eagles oline gives up per game (2.59), the fact that them and the bengals gave up the exact same amount of sacks this year (44) AND the eagles 2nd best starting olineman was not able to lift his arm after the game....not able to help you with the bolded comment above?

Edited by TheCasillas

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Limping Mahomes will be on his 4th week since the injury. Dont forget we are 2 weeks away from the Super Bowl. He will get much needed rest on that ankle. He wont be 100% but he will more than he was this past weekend and that will be enough to perform against the Eagles.

The Eagles and Bengals gave up the exact same amount of sacks this season. The Eagles give up an average of 2.59 sacks per game. I wouldnt use their oline as the difference maker. I'd use how the Chiefs locked down the Bengals receivers with their game plan.  The doubled both Higgins and Chase and asked the Bengals to beat them in the middle of the field. The Chiefs also completely shutdown the Bengals running game. 

Bengals and Eagles are by design the same team but have Hurts as a running QB. Judging by Hurts performance this past weekend, that shoulder isnt 100% either. Takeaway the missed incompletion from Devonta, and the Eagles had less than 100 yards passing.... 

Lastly, Landon Dickerson was injured late in the game as well..  still waiting on that: Landon Dickerson suffered an injury to his right arm and had to leave early. Dickerson even skipped the blue medical tent and went right to the locker room. Dickerson let his right arm dangle as he walked off the field

The Bengals OL was missing 3 out of the 5 starters though.  I'm not so sure the Chiefs have their way with the Eagles healthier OL (I know Johnson is playing injured) like they did with the Bengals.  Burrow was hit like 12 times.  The Chiefs were also missing some weapons (I want to say they were using their 5th WR towards the end).  I am not sure they will be 100% in 2 weeks either.  

The Eagles didn't have a lot of passing yards I agree.  Probably didn't want to stress out Hurts shoulder plus they had a nice lead goin against a backup QB.  All they needed to do is just run down the clock about halfway through the send half.  They had like 44 carries and were working with a short field.  I mean they put up 31 points with very few total yards.

I just think the Niners OL is probably better than KC's and the Eagles kind of had their way with them.  I'm not saying the Eagles will definitely win, but I think it could be a good game.  It's two weeks for Mahomes' ankle and two weeks for Hurts shoulder.  I hope they are both as healthy as possible and it's a great game.  Looks like it's currently Eagles -2.  

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The Bengals OL was missing 3 out of the 5 starters though.  I'm not so sure the Chiefs have their way with the Eagles healthier OL (I know Johnson is playing injured) like they did with the Bengals.  Burrow was hit like 12 times.  The Chiefs were also missing some weapons (I want to say they were using their 5th WR towards the end).  I am not sure they will be 100% in 2 weeks either.  

The Eagles didn't have a lot of passing yards I agree.  Probably didn't want to stress out Hurts shoulder plus they had a nice lead goin against a backup QB.  All they needed to do is just run down the clock about halfway through the send half.  They had like 44 carries and were working with a short field.  I mean they put up 31 points with very few total yards.

I just think the Niners OL is probably better than KC's and the Eagles kind of had their way with them.  I'm not saying the Eagles will definitely win, but I think it could be a good game.  It's two weeks for Mahomes' ankle and two weeks for Hurts shoulder.  I hope they are both as healthy as possible and it's a great game.  Looks like it's currently Eagles -2.  

Its all speculation at this point, but we are a mere 3 weeks removed from when the 100% heatlhy Eagles oline gave us 6 sacks in a single game. The Eagles didnt pass a lot bc Hurts arm just isnt right. He overthrew multiple recievers and his accuracy was off. That was pretty evident. I'd take Mahomes with a bum ankle over any QB with a bum shoulder. 

KC gave up less sacks per game than the 49ers did. KC has the top 3 offensive line in the NFL this year. So stating 49ers have a better line isnt backed by the statisitics. KC gave up an average of 1.5 sacks per game while the 49ers gave up 1.9. 

I'd have to say that the Eagles being favored right now will change next week. Today Andy Reid intentionally did not give an injury update. So at this moment we have no idea if Toney, JuJu and/or Hardman will be playing. 

Again this is a speculative conversation, so no one is wrong. I am just following the data.

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

how does the stat around how many sacks the eagles oline gives up per game (2.59), the fact that them and the bengals gave up the exact same amount of sacks this year (44) AND the eagles 2nd best starting olineman was not able to lift his arm after the game....not able to help you with the bolded comment above?

What are the Bengals and Eagles PFF oline ranking for the season? Who besides Jones on the Chiefs DL is going to wreak havoc on that line though? I'll give you the Dickerson injury is a problem but you are using sacks and only sacks to rate their oline overall there's much more to it than that.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-nfl-offensive-line-rankings

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

What are the Bengals and Eagles PFF oline ranking for the season? Who besides Jones on the Chiefs DL is going to wreak havoc on that line though? I'll give you the Dickerson injury is a problem but you are using sacks and only sacks to rate their oline overall there's much more to it than that.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-nfl-offensive-line-rankings

I dont know how PFF is going to tell that those sacks werent real... The eagles give up sacks... PFF isnt going to change that.

3 hours ago, GOAT said:

Super Bowl QB's have always been known to have pocket presence, some with some ability to escape. For the most part though, you're seeing a guy stand tall in the pocket and deliver passes rather than juking guys out and bruising into the end zone. 

Our own Cam Newton couldn't get it done, and continued the conversation of "can a dual threat QB win the Super Bowl?". Yes, Russ and Mahomes have some wheels and can create some circus plays with their feet - but after watching Hurts yesterday I can safely say I haven't seen a bruising / running QB like that since Cam.

Hurts can definitely sling it, but if he's able to win a super bowl with his gifted legs - it may put the old stereo type to bed that that sort of QB can't win a Super Bowl. 

Makes you open to a QB like Richardson perhaps, if a team can cater their playbook to that style and obviously execute in the other departments - it may be the new recipe to success.

I wouldn't call Mahomes a running qb by my definition.   He runs out of necessity sometimes but mostly he just has great pocket awareness and mobility in the pocket and is great at improvising.  If he is a running qb then I would say someone like Aaron Rodgers is borderline a running qb too considering they use the same strengths.  Also as you said, Cam made it once.  There is a history of running qbs making it once in their career but not really ever consistently.  Also the Eagles defense is elite.  Especially their pass rush.  They are definitely carrying their weight in this too.

Edited by Tr3ach

As much as WhoaCamWhoa likes to point out the Huddle puts WAY too much stock on QB play, this one will be all about Hurts. He's young, and this will be his first time in THE big one. He has to be perfect. If they can contain him, and he passes poorly like last night ... KC will win. KC has been there done that. Reid and Mahomes are going to be very careful. Hurts is going to be running off emotion.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

So you are saying your expertise is superior to that of PFF.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

I am not sure why you feel this is an argument. I stated that the Eagles have given up the same amount of sacks as the Bengals. 44. The Eagles have given up the 11th most sacks in the NFL. They give up sacks.

However, you think thats my expertise... and suggest that PFF grades means this isnt true... this is a really weird debate.