• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Final draft position

raleigh-panther

22 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

That is a lot of ammo OR 4 potential new starters. 

Stay where we are, if one of the top 3 QB's fall to us you take them.

If not, you go WR, DE, CB, LB in some order with those first 4 picks, fill out the roster, then trade as many future first, second, and third round picks as needed to move up next year in a much better/deeper QB class.

Get the team in place, then get the QB on the rookie contract.

If we make the trade this year, we'll have the QB too early, before the team is fully built out and then we'll still have too many roster holes while we have the cheap rookie QB contract.  Unless one of the top 3 QB's falls to us at 9, there's no good way to do both this offseason.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Stay where we are, if one of the top 3 QB's fall to us you take them.

If not, you go WR, DE, CB, LB in some order with those first 4 picks, fill out the roster, then trade as many future first, second, and third round picks as needed to move up next year in a much better/deeper QB class.

Get the team in place, then get the QB on the rookie contract.

If we make the trade this year, we'll have the QB too early, before the team is fully built out and then we'll still have too many roster holes while we have the cheap rookie QB contract.  Unless one of the top 3 QB's falls to us at 9, there's no good way to do both this offseason.

Next year's QB class is always better, just ask all the previous years.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

4 minutes ago, travisura said:

Next year's QB class is always better, just ask all the previous years.

This x100...

I think the only sure fire stud at QB next year is Caleb Williams. Haven't seen enough of Penix (Pac 12 defenses are garbage) and saw a lot out of Drake Maye in the back half of the season that makes me worry about his NFL success.

Not saying we should mortgage the future for a QB this draft, but we will be saying the same thing about the 2024 draft - "this class of QBs is overrated, wait until next year". Rinse and repeat for 20 years and you are stuck with a cycle of QBs including Teddy 2 Gloves, Sam, Baker, etc.

If the Colts take Levis instead of Stroud, you absolutely trade up and get Stroud.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Not true--you have to look no further than the past two QB drafts.

image.png.2b01c2f403aa1fb42eb4d16e6b82a98f.png

I was being slightly hyperbolic. But last year it was "wait for a QB next year when there's a much better QB class" and this year it's "There's no sure fire franchise QB, so wait until next year when there's a much better QB class." See what I'm saying? Next year folks will find something to complain about that QB class. And on and on and on.

1 minute ago, travisura said:

I was being slightly hyperbolic. But last year it was "wait for a QB next year when there's a much better QB class" and this year it's "There's no sure fire franchise QB, so wait until next year when there's a much better QB class." See what I'm saying? Next year folks will find something to complain about that QB class. And on and on and on.

I get it in theory, especially those 'fans' who only dip their toes into the draft.  However, this was obviously going to be a thin top of the draft QB class. The substantive portion of this QB draft was the middle rounds, but due to NIL and the transfer portal, guys opted (and probably from here on out) to go back to school.  They are in no rush to get to the NFL now, especially if they think they can improve their draft stock. Used to going back to school was seen as a risky proposition, but the landscape is changing.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I get it in theory, especially those 'fans' who only dip their toes into the draft.  However, this was obviously going to be a thin top of the draft QB class. The substantive portion of this QB draft was the middle rounds, but due to NIL and the transfer portal, guys opted (and probably from here on out) to go back to school.  They are in no rush to get to the NFL now, especially if they think they can improve their draft stock. Used to going back to school was seen as a risky proposition, but the landscape is changing.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I just don't think we have many "wait until next year"s left, especially when waiting until next year depends on being bad enough to merit a top 3 pick, and despite what some on here might say, we will win at minimum 7-9 games this year.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

4 picks in the top 100, I will take it!

I’ll get flamed for this but, don’t trade up.  Take whichever of the top four QB’s falls to 9, probably Richardson.  If all four are gone, Quinten at 9 and then Tanner McKee with a second.  Richardson may have more ceiling but McKee may be more starter ready than Richardson.

But, as you say above, 4 picks in top 100, me likey…