• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer on drafting a QB this year

ncfan

1 hour ago, BrisbanePanther said:

I might be confused but that looks like using 2 1sts in '23 and '24 to get a QB anyway? 

I've seen others say to draft AR and sit him until next year...but does that mean that he's better than Maye/Williams? Otherwise, if he's not playing until next year, why not draft one of Maye/Williams next year, who you'd probably start. All three guys are first year starters in this scenario.

So maybe just use the '24 1st to go get the QB you want this year instead of hoping he falls, or use this year's first on BPA (or trade down) and use next year's 1st on a QB.

Just because you still have your first next year doesn't mean you have to get another quarterback with it but the point is you could if for whatever reason you felt Richardson wasn't the one or like Gruden, Reich starts collecting quarterbacks. Everything I see suggests that Richardson has the athleticism and arm of a great qb. But Reich said his players had to have good fundamentals and accelerated vision. I heard he maybe be erratic in his fundamentals and his decision making was suspect.

21 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Just because you still have your first next year doesn't mean you have to get another quarterback with it but the point is you could if for whatever reason you felt Richardson wasn't the one or like Gruden, Reich starts collecting quarterbacks. Everything I see suggests that Richardson has the athleticism and arm of a great qb. But Reich said his players had to have good fundamentals and accelerated vision. I heard he maybe be erratic in his fundamentals and his decision making was suspect.

He is also his very high on accuracy.  The prospect must have good accuracy as a passer. 

30 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Those teams traded up for the 3 qbs you listed 

The argument is about what it would take to get into the top 2 or 3 and whether it worth it.  For the highest in Josh Allen at 7, the Bills ultimately traded 2 2s and an OT that didn't work out for the Bengals to move from 21 to 7.  The Ravens traded down 2nds and 6ths. Not what we're talking about here. 

Compare that to the 49ers giving up 2 firsts and a third to get Lance at 3.  You think any of these guys merit that kind of capital?

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Let's move up and do it. This game convinced me. 

After relentlessly watching 20+ hours of footage of Stroud …. I’d caution everyone to look through the sparkliness…

Stroud has some great qualities… but the pieces he needs to work on the most will be damning at the NFL level.

first, arm strength. He has a teddy arm… accurate but don’t expect him to be able to put it deep consistently. You can see in the video that he has about 5-6 underthrown balls… the same type of balls that if darnold threw them, the huddle would be tearing him to shreds. Stroud should not get a free pass either. 

second, and this is a big one… Stroud has a small case of the yips. If you were to choose to examine every micro second of each of his throws… you’ll notice he has this hesitation problem, as if he second guessing his decision. In college, you will be fine most of the time bc the elite talent on OSU helps make up for that gap. However, at the NFL level this cost football games. I don’t know what it is… but stroud just hesitates on some of his throws

Third, in that game specifically, stroud made plays happen through improv moments. He deserves credit for that, and it’s a great quality to have. However, why do you have to have that moment? Why did you abandon your progressions? Why did you slide right when the strong side of your receivers were going left? Stroud puts himself into multiple situations where you have to ask.. “what did you feel in the pocket that made you drift/float in that direction?” OSU does run a moving pocket type of offense, so on plays that it’s intentional, it makes sense. This is the exact issue Baker had last year, he would create sacks on his own by losing pocket awareness.

these are all observations and pieces that scouts will be reviewing and asking during his combine. I will say that I don’t believe Stroud has the accelerated vision that Reich brought up. But I’m just an opinion on the internet, nothing more and nothing less.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean he even lost this game despite his all-star WR corps and getting out to a big lead.

I read that he's not even as highly thought of as Fields in Ohio.

His star WR got hurt (couldn’t finish the game) and the other was injured most of the year and didn’t play. He still led them in FG range to win it. It was a longer FG, but he can’t control that it was missed. If you don’t like him I understand, but this would be a tough game to criticize…

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

After relentlessly watching 20+ hours of footage of Stroud …. I’d caution everyone to look through the sparkliness…

Stroud has some great qualities… but the pieces he needs to work on the most will be damning at the NFL level.

first, arm strength. He has a teddy arm… accurate but don’t expect him to be able to put it deep consistently. You can see in the video that he has about 5-6 underthrown balls… the same type of balls that if darnold threw them, the huddle would be tearing him to shreds. Stroud should not get a free pass either. 

second, and this is a big one… Stroud has a small case of the yips. If you were to choose to examine every micro second of each of his throws… you’ll notice he has this hesitation problem, as if he second guessing his decision. In college, you will be fine most of the time bc the elite talent on OSU helps make up for that gap. However, at the NFL level this cost football games. I don’t know what it is… but stroud just hesitates on some of his throws

Third, in that game specifically, stroud made plays happen through improv moments. He deserves credit for that, and it’s a great quality to have. However, why do you have to have that moment? Why did you abandon your progressions? Why did you slide right when the strong side of your receivers were going left? Stroud puts himself into multiple situations where you have to ask.. “what did you feel in the pocket that made you drift/float in that direction?” OSU does run a moving pocket type of offense, so on plays that it’s intentional, it makes sense. This is the exact issue Baker had last year, he would create sacks on his own by losing pocket awareness.

these are all observations and pieces that scouts will be reviewing and asking during his combine. I will say that I don’t believe Stroud has the accelerated vision that Reich brought up. But I’m just an opinion on the internet, nothing more and nothing less.

People put way too much emphasis on the team outcome when looking at prospects. Mahomes was 16-21 during his college career.