• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich’s description of a QB: It’s basically Corral

Wundrbread33

18 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

What did Josh Allen run at Wyoming? Patrick Mahomes ran the most basic offense you could possibly run in college and look at him.

If you wanted a coach who could make a guy like Corral a super star, you got him.

That said, I'm in favor of drafting Richardson. Dude is Josh Allen v 2.0.

Those 2 were Bigger, more athletic and and Much better and Stronger arm.

thus why they never fell out of the top 20 while Corral was coming close to falling out of the 3rd rd

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Those 2 were Bigger, more athletic and and Much better and Stronger arm.

thus why they never fell out of the top 20 while Corral was coming close to falling out of the 3rd rd

Corral falling had more to do with ending his bowl game with an injury, a perception that he had “alcohol problems”, and an overall narrative that the class as a whole was weak. 

It wasn’t size, athleticism, or arm strength related. 

11 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Corral falling had more to do with ending his bowl game with an injury, a perception that he had “alcohol problems”, and an overall narrative that the class as a whole was weak. 

It wasn’t size, athleticism, or arm strength related. 

That had some to do with it.  But most of it was his size,  offense he came from, tools etc.

there’s plenty of guys who have off the field issues and injuries all the time.  There was a Michigan Edge rusher last year coming off a Achilles tear which is one of the hardest injuries to return to form in the sport.  And that guy didn’t fall out the top 50.

Joe Mixon literally decked a girl.  Tunsil had a video released of a weed bong and admitted to accepting benefits, and they didn’t fall like that.

Corral plays the most important position in sports and was in the weakest QB class in a Decade.  The injury and alcohol rumor wouldn’t make him drop like that.

He dropped because he’s not the biggest, played in a one read system so never had to play reading the field, and tools.  His arm isn’t the strongest as far as zip.

Edited by ncfan

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I'd just like to add that we have hardly even seen Corral. It's certainly not being analytical in the slightest to judge Corral based on what doesnt even amount to a full preseason game. It's ludicrous, but yet we have some people here doing that. 

Since I can’t message you I will say this publicly. I 💩 two of your posts because I did not agree. You in turn get butt hurt and search days back to find posts of mine and do the same to two also. Basically “eye for an eye” mentality. You’re over 50 dude grow up not everyone will like your opinion. What you did was weak. Do better. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, ncfan said:

That had some to do with it.  But most of it was his size,  offense he came from, tools etc.

there’s plenty of guys who have off the field issues and injuries all the time.  There was a Michigan Edge rusher last year coming off a Achilles tear which is one of the hardest injuries to return to form in the sport.  And that guy didn’t fall out the top 50.

Joe Mixon literally decked a girl.  Tunsil had a video released of a weed bong and admitted to accepting benefits, and they didn’t fall like that.

Corral plays the most important position in sports and was in the weakest QB class in a Decade.  The injury and alcohol rumor wouldn’t make him drop like that.

He dropped because he’s not the biggest, played in a one read system so never had to play reading the field, and tools.  His arm isn’t the strongest as far as zip.

You realize I could make the same arguments you made, against the things you said. 

However let’s look at this. 

Size: he measured 6’2” 212. He’s not small. A little thin for his play style? Sure. 

College offense: not unique to him. Tons of college teams run RPO. Every drafted QB has to make adjustments to the NFL level. And 1-2 read offenses in college doesn’t prove that is all he can do. It just shows he did what he was asked to do. 

Tools: no way he dropped due to this. He has an elite release. “Rips a tight spiral” and has plenty of arm strength, evident on tape. He has natural quick feet. He often handles the free rusher with ease. He’s mobile. He’s accurate short/mid and needs to improve deep accuracy. 

Tools aren’t the issue. 

Edited by Wundrbread33
  • Pie 1

Just now, Wundrbread33 said:

You realize I could make the same arguments you made, against the things you said. 

Size: he measured 6’2” 212. He’s not small. A little thin for his play style? Sure. 

College offense: not unique to him. Tons of college teams run RPO. Every drafted QB has to make adjustments to the NFL level. And 1-2 read offenses in college doesn’t prove that is all he can do. It just shows he did what he was asked to do. 

Tools: no way he dropped due to this. He has an elite release. “Rips a tight spiral” and has plenty of arm strength, evident on tape. He has natural quick feet. He often handles the free rusher with ease. He’s mobile. He’s accurate short/mid and needs to improve deep accuracy. 

Tools aren’t the issue. 

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1520237888021176321?s=20&t=FYsgyiqRm5EZzdRsMNGALw

He measured 1 inch taller than Baker but his release is much shorter.  So if you’re  worried about that kind of stuff that’s a issue (I’m not worried about that part)

Thin yes but again, depending how you play.  
which that brings into the offense issue.  Yes teams in college all start to run more simplistic offenses.  But Corral’s success in college was read option 1 read.  That’s about as simplistic as it gets in college.  The only thing he had to read the D is what the DE did.  Whether to hand it off, throw it to the one pass read or run.  Which a majority of his runs were between the tackles.  You’re not playing like Cam while smaller than Baker in the NFL, you’re just not.  He never set and read what the secondary did and never had to go through progressions.

His release is different, snappy.  It’s quick, he can get it out fast.  But the velocity on his passes are isn’t  what everyone tries to think it is.  It’s really no different than what Grier’s was. 
Heck his Proday was one of the least impressive ones out of those guys, he was short and missed guys deep with no one in his face in spandex.

And woopdidoo that a staff that fell in love with Sam Darnolds Jets film said he was the best QB in a class that had none go in the top 15 and 1 go in the first 2 rounds in a QB thirsty NFL.

I hope he develops into a Nick Foles type guy, but people actually banking that he’ll be The guy is out of control.

19 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah it's not worth the waste of a season to find out.  If he does he shouldn't have a problem beating out a rookie and vet during the season. 

Well I think 2023 is going to be a growing season regardless. I don't think any of these QBs are going to come in and light up the NFL their rookie season. 

Many have giving me grief because I said Corral would be in the mix.  That is all I have ever contended with Corral.  I think when we start OTAs and minicamps Corral is going to get a fair shake.  Unlike the fiasco @Sgt Schultz noted.  I think given equal opportunity Corral could make things interesting come training camp. 

• Beer 1

19 hours ago, ncfan said:

also Notice he completely ignored the question about QB’s on the roster.

Didn’t even acknowledge them.

Probably bc he doesn't consider any of the QBs on the roster in any potential role on this team. Our QB room is the weakest in the NFL.

Matt Corral is unlikely the answer to that glaring need either. 

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Well I think 2023 is going to be a growing season regardless. I don't think any of these QBs are going to come in and light up the NFL their rookie season. 

Many have giving me grief because I said Corral would be in the mix.  That is all I have ever contended with Corral.  I think when we start OTAs and minicamps Corral is going to get a fair shake.  Unlike the fiasco @Sgt Schultz noted.  I think given equal opportunity Corral could make things interesting come training camp. 

I don't see a HC like Reich not giving Corral a fair chance.  I also don't see Fitt and the Panthers staff not drafting a high pick QB to compete with Corral.  Honestly they probably sign a vet as well.  As bad as it sounds the higher invested top pick will probably get more looks, but Reich won't ignore Corral like Rhule did.  

20 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Tools aren’t the issue. 

I'm in agreement here.  Just because he did what he was asked to do doesn't mean he can't read a defense.   His quick release will be a huge advantage for him.  

I look forward to seeing him get some valid reps this coming season. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Probably bc he doesn't consider any of the QBs on the roster in any potential role on this team. Our QB room is the weakest in the NFL.

Matt Corral is unlikely the answer to that glaring need either. 

Weakest in the NFL 

yes that’s a no Brainer

in any role on this team?  Corral isn’t the answer.  But the guy has some potential and very well could be a dam good backup.  An those are valuable

ask SF, Miami, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tennessee, Dallas, LA, Arizona, just to name a few teams who’s backups played meaningful games this season.