• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper admits to mistake in hiring Matt Rhule

Mr. Scot

GMs hire coaches not the owner, that’s his mistake. And no legit GM is going to work for (ass backwards) or make a college HC ‘CEO’, yet…that is what happened. Well if you consider Fitt legit. Signs say otherwise. Finally, that much power isn’t the problem. All star coaches (Payton, Belicheck, Harbaugh) will likely require it to some extent. The problem is giving it to a Baylor college coach with zero experience. No one does that. I really hope he sees the true issue.

It’s great Tepper is learning but unfortunately is learning what everyone already knows. I really wish he’d show some humility and surround himself with legit football people/council that will not only challenge him but tell him he’s wrong and he will allow it. Fitt won’t do it (obviously) and Rhule didn’t know his ass from his face. Then there is Hurney. 

This has been a big issue. 

Edited by onmyown

Lots of revisionist history in here about how bad Tepper has been as an owner thus far. So he admitted a mistake about two years too late and all is forgiven. Rhule should have never been brought back this year. Tepper waited until the Nebraska job came open to let him go because he knew he could save some money that way.

Well, I have to say, Tepper won me over with his stupid smile. I was against him, and for good reason. From the start.

But I saw how he is actually trying to be a good dude and does seem to be able to self assess, and try to learn from his mistakes.

Now I have to reconcile that with the guy that thought up buying his ex boss' house and destroying it. 

Okay. Reconciled. He hasn't done it again. 

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

Lots of revisionist history in here about how bad Tepper has been as an owner thus far. So he admitted a mistake about two years too late and all is forgiven. Rhule should have never been brought back this year. Tepper waited until the Nebraska job came open to let him go because he knew he could save some money that way.

That's great and all but the reason I think a lot of fans aren't giving Tepper any slack is because, since he's taken over, the Panthers have been on their worst stretch in franchise history. It's a tough fact to ignore, but we're now half a decade into being at the bottom of the league.

• Pie 1

I wouldn't say Tepper is forgiven or trusted at this point, but he does deserve credit for at least admitting to having been wrong.

As far as the rest of it, well...there are always gonna be people who take up weird viewpoints; some because they're a--holes, others because they're just not very bright.

Hell, not much more than a few months back we had people still trying to argue that if we just gave Matt Rhule one more chance he could lead us to the playoffs 😕

I don’t see 2023 Tepper in the same light that I do in 2020 Tepper. He has done a lot of good things lately. From his apology and humility demonstration, providing to the community, putting his players first during the death of Anton Wilkes, and making a sensical hire in Reich. He has made a lot of progress as a person as well as an NFL owner, and I’m not one who is going to take that away from him.

He is also about to go into a head to head against the NFL in their hiring practices with his comments yesterday. I wish him luck. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

I imagine there is a learning curve to Owning. I wouldn't say I think Tepper is a good owner or anything he has a significant amount to prove in that regard, but I loved his entire comment on both CEO coaches and the way the NFL is going in regards to the rule changes with Offensive Coaches. Gave me a glimmer of hope that hes actually growing into someone with some ability to grow and learn.