• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule files Suit against the Panthers

Mr. Scot

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rhule is literally doing what every other coach would be doing along with everyone on this board.  Tepper owes him.  Saying it reflects poorly on Rhule is just fandom getting in the way IMO.  How bad of a coach Rhule was doesn't really matter. 

Offset clauses are routine.  Tepper owes him.  Tepper just using his big checkbook to pay him less.  Hardly something to celebrate Tepper over.  Part of what is wrong w/ this entire country.  The mega wealthy using their money to screw people over. 

Rhule is megawealthy too, you know.

and Rhule could have negotiated any kind of contract he wanted, but he worked to set the salaries year over year right at, or according to the argument of the Panthers, over the industry standard raise percentage. and he did that precisely so he could double dip.

he could have gotten the exact same amount of money from Nebraska on a flat salary year-over-year. tons of coaches do that.  that kind of contract was good enough for Rhule to sign with the Panthers, by the way.

but he chose to squeeze extra money out of his deal through the offset language. don't pretend this is some innocent need-a-penny-take-a-penny move. he knew what he was doing. the contract doesn't scale from 7 million to 9 million over the term. you know, two salaries within the same band.  it goes from 5.5 to 12.5. it's obvious what he's doing.

and yeah, sure, if your motivation is just to squeeze all the money you can out of your contract and your jobs, that's your prerogative. but it shows what's important to you, and reflects on you as a person. especially coming from a man who negotiated substantial power in his role as a head coach and then routinely deflected blame and responsibility for failures throughout his tenure in Charlotte.

I really don't care about Tepper's angle here. it seems he wants to grind Rhule in arbitration, maybe out of spite, maybe out of a legitimate grievance with Rhule's contract. I really don't care. I'm just talking about Rhule here.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, vorbis said:

and Rhule could have negotiated any kind of contract he wanted, but he worked to set the salaries year over year right at, or according to the argument of the Panthers, over the industry standard raise percentage. and he did that precisely so he could double dip.

he could have gotten the exact same amount of money from Nebraska on a flat salary year-over-year. tons of coaches do that.  that kind of contract was good enough for Rhule to sign with the Panthers, by the way.

but he chose to squeeze extra money out of his deal through the offset language. don't pretend this is some innocent need-a-penny-take-a-penny move. he knew what he was doing. the contract doesn't scale from 7 million to 9 million over the term. you know, two salaries within the same band.  it goes from 5.5 to 12.5. it's obvious what he's doing.

and yeah, sure, if your motivation is just to squeeze all the money you can out of your contract and your jobs, that's your prerogative. but it shows what's important to you, and reflects on you as a person. especially coming from a man who negotiated substantial power in his role as a head coach and then routinely deflected blame and responsibility for failures throughout his tenure in Charlotte.

I really don't care about Tepper's angle here. it seems he wants to grind Rhule in arbitration, maybe out of spite, maybe out of a legitimate grievance with Rhule's contract. I really don't care. I'm just talking about Rhule here.

again, offset clauses super routine in NFL contracts.  It's not unique or special.  It's not something Rhule brilliantly came up with.   It's standard language for NFL HC contracts.  

Spinning this as Matt Rhule being a bad man is silly IMO.  It's a billionaire trying to use his mega wealth to get out of stuff he shouldn't be able to.     

Matt Rhule isn't super wealthy.  Tepper is super wealthy. 

and it shouldn't matter if you dislike Matt Rhule.  Billionaires shouldn't be able to do whatever they want.  No one should cheer that on IMO.  Not in football....and more importantly everywhere else in life. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, vorbis said:

Your sound as though you've got some experience in this area 🤔

5 hours ago, vorbis said:

Rhule's new contract with Nebraska is structured so that his salary is heavily weighted towards the later years of the deal. because of that, he's getting paid slightly less over the years that overlap with his Panthers deal, and he's suing for the difference between those two numbers.

honestly I think it's pretty greasy that he organized his new contract that way, really transparently just trying to squeeze an extra $5M out of his deal. which, in a vacuum I wouldn't really think much of it, go ahead and get your money. but in the context of Rhule's performance and his...demeanor after getting fired?

greasy.

another example of him talking a big game but not having anywhere near the ethics to back it up on a personal level.

and the arbiter will take his agreement with Nebraska and the fact that his salary is heavily deferred to the later years of his contract into accountant.  Also, if his contract with Nebraska is full guaranteed I don't see him winning anything other than the difference between what he would have made in his last season as Panthers coach vs. what he will be making or is guaranteed at Nebraska.

Rhule probably thinks Tepper will just cut him a deal for a few million.  It's a scumbag move, but the rich only want to be richer.

11 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

and the arbiter will take his agreement with Nebraska and the fact that his salary is heavily deferred to the later years of his contract into accountant.  Also, if his contract with Nebraska is full guaranteed I don't see him winning anything other than the difference between what he would have made in his last season as Panthers coach vs. what he will be making or is guaranteed at Nebraska.

Rhule probably thinks Tepper will just cut him a deal for a few million.  It's a scumbag move, but the rich only want to be richer.

I read more and Rhule is set to make MORE at Nebraska (those poor fools) than he did with the Panthers.  All this offset salary BS is a money grab from Rhule that also probably benefited Nebraska as well as the Big 10's revenue payments will probably just keep increasing as time goes on.

Yes, Tepper signed him to that contract but Rhule is trying to extract more money out of the Panthers than is reasonable.  I hope he gets his ass handed to him.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, tecc86 said:

Meh, this is literally just two douchebags playing a game.

If Rhules Nebraska contract wasnt backloaded in salary Tepper wouldn't owe him anything, but because his contract escalates every year from 5 million to 12 million by the end then Tepper ends up owing him because of the first few seasons being below what he was being paid here.

He's basically suing to get a free 5 million from Tepper even though his Nebraska contract per  year is higher than the one he signed here.

well, you will find no one on this board who would dump on Matt Rhule more than me.  This just doesn't seem like Matt Rhule is the one playing a game.  Seems pretty dang simple.  He signed a routine NFL HC contract that included offset language.  The offset langauge has been discussed on this board for over a year.  Everyone knew

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

Tepper just needs to give the guy his money and let him go away. He hired him, and he decided that it was a good idea to give Rhule that contract. Just pay the man and let the franchise move on without that distraction.

I agree, Tepper was an idiot for giving Rhule a 7 year contract, just pay Rhule the money and just be done with it and move on