• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule files Suit against the Panthers

Mr. Scot

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, you will find no one on this board who would dump on Matt Rhule more than me.  This just doesn't seem like Matt Rhule is the one playing a game.  Seems pretty dang simple.  He signed a routine NFL HC contract that included offset language.  The offset langauge has been discussed on this board for over a year.  Everyone knew

If he purposely backloaded the Nebraska contract to circumvent the offset clause, then it is playing games. What else would you call that?

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

If he purposely backloaded the Nebraska contract to circumvent the offset clause, then it is playing games. What else would you call that?

If he? You mean if Nebraska?  Nebraska can do whatever the fug they want. 

Panthers owed Rhule X amount of dollars.   They were cool with that.  They fired him.  He could of sat out and taken it all.  He got another job which will reduce what the Panthers owe him. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

If he? You mean if Nebraska?  Nebraska can do whatever the fug they want. 

Panthers owed Rhule X amount of dollars.   They were cool with that.  They fired him.  He could of sat out and taken it all.  He got another job which will reduce what the Panthers owe him. 

Depends. Like I said earlier, I doubt there is discovery in arbitration. IF there was discovery, Tepper can get phone records, emails, everything. If Rhule pushed for a backloaded contract. Contracts aren't one way streets. Nebraska could have sent over a contract and Rhule told his attorney to adjust the compensation to backload it, and as long as Nebraska was fine with that, they wouldn't have objected. Contracts are negotiated. It all depends on who's idea was it to backload the contract; especially if it's fully guaranteed.

If they were THAT cool with paying him no matter what, then there wouldn't be offset language. Rhule could have sat and taken it all. But he didn't. And knew there was offset language. Did Rhule negotiate the contract structure a certain way to negate the offset language? We can only speculate at this point.

I can almost guarantee Tepper won't pay poo if Rhule was the source of the backloaded contract. And Rhule will probably owe Tepper attorney fees for the trouble. But again all speculation without discovery. I still say Tepper has a strong case in arbitration.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

If they were THAT cool with paying him no matter what, then there wouldn't be offset language. Rhule could have sat and taken it all. But he didn't. And knew there was offset language. Did Rhule negotiate the contract structure a certain way to negate the offset language? We can only speculate at this point.

I can almost guarantee Tepper won't pay poo if Rhule was the source of the backloaded contract. And Rhule will probably owe Tepper attorney fees for the trouble. But again all speculation without discovery. I still say Tepper has a strong case in arbitration.

There is offset language in NFL HC contracts.  It’s just standard.   It benefits the Panthers.  

Rhule getting a job and not sitting out….benefited Tepper.  Saved him money.  Frankly, Tepper got insanely lucky Rhule managed to get that good of a job. 

Tepper made a stupid contract.  Paid Rhule too much.  He seems to have a hard time dealing with his early stupid moves.  Doesn’t seem more complex than that.  

I don’t see this great Tepper argument. Rhule contract was what it was.  He owes him the money.   Nebraska gig saved him a little.  A lot actually.   He should be grateful someone was that stupid to pay Rhule. 

• Pie 1

It's funny how he back tracked on Cam. It's probably because for all his "NFL experience" people probably mostly ask him about Cam.

NOW that bridge is valued after the NFL when he tossed a match on Cam and his career few short years ago. He's trying to arrange NFL visits and his top get is Robbie Anderson.

Edited by rippadonn

2 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

That's exactly what he did.  This entire ordeal tells you everything we all now know regarding Matt Rhule.   Shocking how his salary goes from 5.1 million in year one to over 12 million the last year.  Coincidence?  From Panther's Wire.....

If the contract with the new club includes a substantial salary increase in new contract years, the Commissioner shall use the following as a guideline to determine the reasonableness of those increases: (i) if annual compensations is scheduled to increase by 20 percent or more for the new contract years, the prior club’s annual offset, if that club is entitled to an offset, shall be calculated based upon the employee’s average annual compensation during the entire term of contract.”

Here's why the Panthers and Matt Rhule are battling over buyout money

USATSI_19525983-e1675277692512.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
February 1, 2023 2:25 pm ET

We learned on Wednesday morning, through the reporting of CBS Sports lead NFL insider Jonathan Jones, that Matt Rhule has filed an arbitration suit against the Carolina Panthers. The complaint alleges that the team is refusing to pay roughly $5 million of his severance compensation, which is a part of the buyout from this past season’s firing.

Well, Jones also noted that the Panthers are indeed refusing to pay Rhule—under the belief that he and the University of Nebraska are trying to get one over on owner David Tepper.

Rhule’s buyout entails a dollar-for-dollar credit against what’s left on his deal with Carolina. So—essentially—the less Nebraska pays, the more the Panthers will.

Being that Rhule’s new pact is considerably backloaded, Carolina will argue that Rhule and his new employer have finagled the terms to get Tepper to pay more upfront. Here, as mentioned by Jones, is the policy the Panthers will reference under reasonableness with new contracts.

“If the contract with the new club includes a substantial salary increase in new contract years, the Commissioner shall use the following as a guideline to determine the reasonableness of those increases: (i) if annual compensations is scheduled to increase by 20 percent or more for the new contract years, the prior club’s annual offset, if that club is entitled to an offset, shall be calculated based upon the employee’s average annual compensation during the entire term of contract.”

The eight-year deal with Nebraska, which has an annual average salary of $9.25 million, will pay Rhule just $5.5 million in his first year and eventually escalate up to $12.5 million.

Clearly he structured his contract to make Carolina pay money in 2023 & 2024. The contract escalates his pay once he is out from under the Panthers contract.

his average salary at Nebraska is $9 million a year and it was $8.5 Million in Carolina. 

I think he loses this.