• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DC search rebooting?

Mr. Scot

43 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I believe that was Phil Snows MO. Light backers to run his 3-3 stack, hybrid nickel Big Nickel, Little nickel. The DE’s, Will, or Sam backers can play zone coverage, which sucks in run support. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See Phil's answer above. He's spot on.

Lets look at facts:

Snow's first season was 2020, our rank for yards allowed per game for 2020, 2021, and 2022 was 18th, 18th, and 18th.  So pretty close to middle of the pack.  BTW, 2019 which was Ron's last year we were 29th.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Opponent Rushing Yards per Game | TeamRankings.com

Yards per game can be a bit misleading, bad teams tend to give up a lot of yards per game not just because they are bad against the run but they are often behind so teams run more on them to chew clock.  So, let's look at yards per attempt.

For 2020-2022 we were 28th, 8th, and 12th in the league in yards allowed per attempt.  Speaking of Ron, in 2019 we were 32, which is dead last in the league.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Opponent Rushing Yards per Game | TeamRankings.com

So Snow took a team, changed the formation and personnel and went from last in the league to top 10 in two years against the run, on a per rush attempt basis.

I'm not saying Snow was some great DC, but this idea that his methodology and personnel decisions suddenly made us one of the worst teams in the league against the run is just flat wrong.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not saying Snow was some great DC, but this idea that his methodology and personnel decisions suddenly made us one of the worst teams in the league against the run is just flat wrong.

I’m not knocking Phil Snow. What I am saying, is that unless our next DC wants to run a 3-3, or hybrid Nickel, we will need to change some personnel. We need another Mike bad, nothing against Shaq but I like Shaq better at Will, and he could be gone. We all have our preferences, but to build a defense to slow the run and really attack the pass, we didn’t do that well against the pass, more importantly on 3rd down. It felt like we had the worst 3rd down defense in the league, but we averaged 41%. Again we have pieces, but I have a feeling we will be extremely active in FA on the defensive side of the ball.

13 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I’m not knocking Phil Snow. What I am saying, is that unless our next DC wants to run a 3-3, or hybrid Nickel, we will need to change some personnel. We need another Mike bad, nothing against Shaq but I like Shaq better at Will, and he could be gone. We all have our preferences, but to build a defense to slow the run and really attack the pass, we didn’t do that well against the pass, more importantly on 3rd down. It felt like we had the worst 3rd down defense in the league, but we averaged 41%. Again we have pieces, but I have a feeling we will be extremely active in FA on the defensive side of the ball.

you said our personnel sucks in run support, based on what?  This narrative that has been spun by misinformed fans? 

What metric are you actually basing that on?  Because you if you look at the actual stats we are far from one of the worst teams in the league and actually in some regards we are among the best.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

you said our personnel sucks in run support, based on what?  This narrative that has been spun by misinformed fans? 

What metric are you actually basing that on?  Because you if you look at the actual stats we are far from one of the worst teams in the league and actually in some regards we are among the best.

I am stating that light DEs and backers will hurt you in run support, yes. I am stating that our next D coordinator may not used 3-3 stack, yes. I am saying we have some personnel that will be out of position and may not fit the mold weight wise, yes. I never stated that our personnel sucks, I am saying light DE’s can get pushed around in the run game. I love analytics too, but I don’t need to see them when it is 3rd down and your top DE is 10 yards down field in zone on a run play.

Edited by philit99

40 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I am stating that light DEs and backers will hurt you in run support, yes. I am stating that our next D coordinator may not used 3-3 stack, yes. I am saying we have some personnel that will be out of position and may not fit the mold weight wise, yes. I never stated that our personnel sucks, I am saying light DE’s can get pushed around in the run game. I love analytics too, but I don’t need to see them when it is 3rd down and your top DE is 10 yards down field in zone on a run play.

but they didn't, or at least relative to the rest of the league they didn't as much.  

Edited by AU-panther

3 hours ago, amcoolio said:

What about Flores for DC? Isn't he just a LB coach? Miami had a great defense with him there, and he has the attitude the defense needs.

I wonder Flores' thoughts on us not hiring Wilks. On principle, I think Flores would not come here based on the lawsuits.

20 hours ago, onmyown said:

I mean it’s a ‘GM’ Rhule hired. What do people expect.

I am remaining optimistic about this franchises ass backward ways and will cheer on Reich, but damn I would’ve loved a new GM.

Every time Fitterer makes a move, it gives me the same nervousness I got when Jake dropped back to pass in 2009, only without the past history of actually succeeding