• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer.... let's grade his drafts and FA signings

TheBigKat

2021 Draft / FA Signing / Trades

• RD 1, Pick 8: CB Jaycee Horn.
  • RD 2, Pick 59: WR Terrace Marshall Jr.
  • RD 3, Pick 70: OT Brady Christensen.
  • RD 4, Pick 83: TE Tommy Tremble.
  • RD 4, Pick 126: RB Chuba Hubbard.
  • RD 5, Pick 158: DL Daviyon Nixon.
  • RD 5, Pick 166: CB Keith Taylor Jr.

FA Signings that year:

Reddick- HOME RUN signing, wish we could have resigned

AJ Bouye- JAG

Perryman- disaster

Erving- JAG and should have NEVER been the LT starter

Miller- JAG

Elflien- serviceable at best C

Fox- wish we could have resigned him, he was a high motor guy

Arnold- we traded him for CJ Henderson, wish we would have kept him. We need a pass catching TE BADLY

DaQuan Jones- serviceable DT

Melvin- JAG

Luvu- FA signing that has blossomed

Darius Clark- Who?

David Moore- Who?

Micah Simon- Who?

Traded for Gilmore- while extremely talented, would NOT have traded for him, we were not "one player away" from competing

Resigned Jackson / Thomas- could maybe understand resigning Jackson but Thomas needed to walk

I screamed to the top of my lungs wanting Micah Parsons at #8 but Horn is a top 3 NFL CB WHEN healthy. TMJ is still an enigma, we'll see how he fares with a true offensive coach. Christensen is SOLID, Tremble is JAG at the moment but can develop. 

2022 Draft

• OT Ickey Ekwonu (No. 6 overall)- EXCELLENT PICK
  • QB Matt Corral (No. 94 overall)- Too early to tell
  • LB Brandon Smith (No. 120 overall)- will be a contributor to the team 
  • Edge Amaré Barno (No. 189 overall)- WHO?
  • OG Cade Mays (No. 199 overall)- great swing lineman
  • CB Kalon Barnes (No. 242 overall)- WHO?

FA Signing

Bozeman- Top 3 C in the NFL, HUGE Signing

Corbett- Incredible guard, excellent signing

Foreman- fantastic signing

Hekker- Top 3 P in the league

Higgins- who

Ioannidis- great contributor

Littleton- meh

Westry- who

Wilson- who

Woods- solid signing

Traded CMC for 2,3,4,5- great trade for a draft depleted team looking to rebuild

It is still a work in progress but just off the body of work of 2022 over 2021, Fitterer is IMPROVING in my opinion. In 1 offseason he literally retooled the O-line from one of the worst units to possible a top 5 unit with depth between draft and FA signings. To me his big "misses" were not trading Burns but the team must have him in way higher regards then most of us do, resigning Thomas, letting Reddick walk (was not going to commit to two mega DE deals) and trading capital for Gilmore (it was a 6th so you can't be that upset about it)

Keeping Fitt and Morgan as a unit together will be imperative as this franchise tries to find its identity once again and become competitive. 

Scott Fitterer's biggest enemy is Mr. Teppah who is basically a hybrid of Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, Terry Pegula. The Mr. Teppah Entertainment who is now a soccer mogul, real estate mogul, coaching hire expert, draft expert, NFL expert, hedge fund expert (this one is actually true). He has to be able to tell David and Nicole Teppah to write the checks and GOMD so that he and Morgan can get poo done.

USATSI_17114499-scaled-e1670541946192-1024x683.jpg

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

Last year’s draft was not good. I think ESPN even ranked it 32 out of 32 teams the other day. It also WAY too early to call Cade Mays a “”great” swing lineman. 

Also total speculation on your part that Tepper is his biggest enemy. You don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, just fits an obvious agenda. Was it Tepper’s fault that we traded for Henderson or drafted Corral? Was he involved in grossly overpaying Ian Thomas? I know most won’t agree with me on this because of the Tepper hate obsession by many on this board.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

This thread is a bit premature. We don’t know the true balance of power between our last head coach and him…either one could have been the reason x or y player was selected. Now that Reich has come out and said Fitt is in control of the roster NOW we can actually judge. Also Perryman wasn’t a bad signing imo he balled out in Vegas.

1000%

This offseason will tell a lot of the story about Fitterer. If it looks a LOT like our previous drafts, then we can assume Fitt had a much greater influence on those drafts than we knew.

If the signings look a lot like the previous offseasons, same thing.

Let this play out. This would be a valid 2024 offseason thread.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, mwa78 said:

Last year’s draft was not good. I think ESPN even ranked it 32 out of 32 teams the other day. It also WAY too early to call Cade Mays a “”great” swing lineman. 

Also total speculation on your part that Tepper is his biggest enemy. You don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, just fits an obvious agenda. Was it Tepper’s fault that we traded for Henderson or drafted Corral? Was he involved in grossly overpaying Ian Thomas? I know most won’t agree with me on this because of the Tepper hate obsession by many on this board.

We picked up a good starting LT who has the potential to be a franchise LT.

Smith, Barno and Mayes have all flashed / contributed. It was not a bad draft at all.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Trading Dan Arnold was a huge mistake. He was obviously one of Darnold’s favorite targets before being traded. The wheels fell off the offense soon after and it affected Darnolds ability to get in rhythm 

Darnold getting smashed by immediate pressure through the A gap affected his ability to get into rhythm.

Arnold is a TE2 / 3 on a good team.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

We picked up a good starting LT who has the potential to be a franchise LT.

Smith, Barno and Mayes have all flashed / contributed. It was not a bad draft at all.

Agree about the LT. Mays and Smith have a chance, but there’s also a chance none of the other three mention turned out to be anything at all. Part of my feelings of it being a bad draft is the lack of picks. Which is due to bad trades and that counts against it in my book.

As mentioned, I would also question the balance of power, particularly the 2021 season.  A pendulum seemed to swing to Fitt at some point but I think that was after the 2021 season and leading into 2022.  Who really knows though.  Last year though, looking promising.

Not hyperbolizing when I say it was one of our best FA hauls ever.

I also wouldn't have the big WHO? by Barno.  That kid earned playing time and made a few plays when brought in.  2 sacks, 2 qb hits, 2 tfl on only 30ish total snaps on the year.  He looked pretty promising.  Not to mention was one of the preseason guys who shined. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

2021 Draft / FA Signing / Trades

• RD 1, Pick 8: CB Jaycee Horn.
  • RD 2, Pick 59: WR Terrace Marshall Jr.
  • RD 3, Pick 70: OT Brady Christensen.
  • RD 4, Pick 83: TE Tommy Tremble.
  • RD 4, Pick 126: RB Chuba Hubbard.
  • RD 5, Pick 158: DL Daviyon Nixon.
  • RD 5, Pick 166: CB Keith Taylor Jr.

FA Signings that year:

Reddick- HOME RUN signing, wish we could have resigned

AJ Bouye- JAG

Perryman- disaster

Erving- JAG and should have NEVER been the LT starter

Miller- JAG

Elflien- serviceable at best C

Fox- wish we could have resigned him, he was a high motor guy

Arnold- we traded him for CJ Henderson, wish we would have kept him. We need a pass catching TE BADLY

DaQuan Jones- serviceable DT

Melvin- JAG

Luvu- FA signing that has blossomed

Darius Clark- Who?

David Moore- Who?

Micah Simon- Who?

Traded for Gilmore- while extremely talented, would NOT have traded for him, we were not "one player away" from competing

Resigned Jackson / Thomas- could maybe understand resigning Jackson but Thomas needed to walk

I screamed to the top of my lungs wanting Micah Parsons at #8 but Horn is a top 3 NFL CB WHEN healthy. TMJ is still an enigma, we'll see how he fares with a true offensive coach. Christensen is SOLID, Tremble is JAG at the moment but can develop. 

2022 Draft

• OT Ickey Ekwonu (No. 6 overall)- EXCELLENT PICK
  • QB Matt Corral (No. 94 overall)- Too early to tell
  • LB Brandon Smith (No. 120 overall)- will be a contributor to the team 
  • Edge Amaré Barno (No. 189 overall)- WHO?
  • OG Cade Mays (No. 199 overall)- great swing lineman
  • CB Kalon Barnes (No. 242 overall)- WHO?

FA Signing

Bozeman- Top 3 C in the NFL, HUGE Signing

Corbett- Incredible guard, excellent signing

Foreman- fantastic signing

Hekker- Top 3 P in the league

Higgins- who

Ioannidis- great contributor

Littleton- meh

Westry- who

Wilson- who

Woods- solid signing

Traded CMC for 2,3,4,5- great trade for a draft depleted team looking to rebuild

It is still a work in progress but just off the body of work of 2022 over 2021, Fitterer is IMPROVING in my opinion. In 1 offseason he literally retooled the O-line from one of the worst units to possible a top 5 unit with depth between draft and FA signings. To me his big "misses" were not trading Burns but the team must have him in way higher regards then most of us do, resigning Thomas, letting Reddick walk (was not going to commit to two mega DE deals) and trading capital for Gilmore (it was a 6th so you can't be that upset about it)

Keeping Fitt and Morgan as a unit together will be imperative as this franchise tries to find its identity once again and become competitive. 

Scott Fitterer's biggest enemy is Mr. Teppah who is basically a hybrid of Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, Terry Pegula. The Mr. Teppah Entertainment who is now a soccer mogul, real estate mogul, coaching hire expert, draft expert, NFL expert, hedge fund expert (this one is actually true). He has to be able to tell David and Nicole Teppah to write the checks and GOMD so that he and Morgan can get poo done.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/f74cb1776f1a5a75f5996c4de6bb61b20c5e5dfb9cbd633d0b5278c6d269ec4a/1280/https://www.carolinahuddle.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/USATSI_17114499-scaled-e1670541946192-1024x683.thumb.jpg.dba263d79acf99ffbf59103048f91554.jpg

I would consider Corral a bad pick considering we gave up this years third. Could have had Howell, Purdy or Zappe who looks worlds better and kept the pick. 

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Trading Dan Arnold was a huge mistake. He was obviously one of Darnold’s favorite targets before being traded. The wheels fell off the offense soon after and it affected Darnolds ability to get in rhythm 

Guys, can we please just collectively get over Dan Arnold?

Dude was a JAG at best, had 7 catches through 3 games with us, no touchdowns, and blew his knee out after we traded him. We were really hurting for his *checks stats* 9 receptions for the Jags this past season.

Is CJ Henderson good? Not particularly, but we've gotten more miles out of him than the Jags have out of Arnold. 

The Darnold to Arnold connection was a media/fan construct for lulz, not based on actual production. 

• Pie 8

If all we get out of last year's draft is a stud franchise LT who can keep our future rookie/young franchise QB upright his entire career, then it's a damn good draft for us. So far Ickey looks like he fits the part there, still need to see some development from him but can't complain at all about his rookie year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

21 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Guys, can we please just collectively get over Dan Arnold?

Dude was a JAG at best, had 7 catches through 3 games with us, no touchdowns, and blew his knee out after we traded him. We were really hurting for his *checks stats* 9 receptions for the Jags this past season.

Is CJ Henderson good? Not particularly, but we've gotten more miles out of him than the Jags have out of Arnold. 

The Darnold to Arnold connection was a media/fan construct for lulz, not based on actual production. 

Nah

• Beer 1