• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is A.R a smaller C.Newton in the rough?

Jmac

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Cams a fan favorite. Many panther fans love Cam. It’s great seeing you squirm whenever he’s brought up, but in threads dealing with other ex Panthers, getting on to those who, like you, want to move on from past player.

Just to add a general note here, "he reminds me of Cam Newton" is not a valid quarterback scouting observation. It's more a wishful (and often wishful) statement from a nostalgic fan.

Yeah, I know a lot of internet scouts like to do the pro comparison thing but I've always found that kinda lazy. It's really not the kind of tool a pro scout would rely on.

Trying to find the next whomever isn't good scouting. Just look at the guys that are there anf evaluate them as themselves.

Just for context, one of the reasons Bill Polian drafted Kerry Collins was because he reminded him of Jim Kelly.

That didn't exactly pan out either 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot

34 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Thank you for making my point I made yesterday: People want Cam so bad they want to draft a worse version of him.

And if they want another Cam, why does it bother you? 

Remember, like you said, every team has fan favorites 

Edited by AggieLean

9 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

And if they want another Cam, why does it bother you? 

I can't answer for him, but I can answer the question.

Basing your evaluation of a quarterback on his similarity to a previous favorite player is kinda silly.

If you want to win, what you should be looking for is the best quarterback who fits your system available now. You're not looking for nostalgia, you're looking for competence.

Maybe that's someone with similarities to a previous favorite, maybe it's not. Either way, prioritizing that as part of your search is a pretty good path to making a poor decision.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can't answer for him, but I can answer the question.

Basing your evaluation of a quarterback on his similarity to a previous favorite player is kinda silly.

If you want to win, what you should be looking for is the best quarterback who fits your system available now. You're not looking for nostalgia, you're looking for competence.

Maybe that's someone with similarities to a previous favorite, maybe it's not. Either way, prioritizing that as part of your search is a pretty good path to making a poor decision.

The people on these boards don’t make player selections. If they want someone like Cam, that’s fine. 

The posters on here wanting another Cam bother you?

Edited by AggieLean

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

The people on these boards don’t make player selections. If they want someone like Cam, that’s fine. 

The posters on here wanting another Cam bother you?

Wouldn't so much say it bothers me as I just think it's kinda silly.

Getting "the next (insert name here)" Is something I see a lot. Levis will be the next Josh Allen, somebody else will be the next Aaron Rodgers, etc etc.

Said elsewhere that I know a lot of internet draftniks like using pro comparisons, but to me it's sort of lazy. Just evaluate their strengths and weaknesses rather than trying to make them the next whomever.

19 hours ago, Jmac said:

Question...I know he has raw ability and potential much like Cam did back in the day.

Not saying that he is as talented as Cam was, but do you think he has enough raw skills to develop (with proper coaching) into a decent QB.

What you got?

I think he's more like Josh Allen. Seems to have the release and presence in the pocket to become a Josh Allen type which, in my opinion, is better than Cam Newton. 

If he's the choice, especially with Reich and a power run game, I won't be mad at it. Trade up into the first to take Jalyn Hyatt out of Tennessee to give you Moore, Hyatt, and Marshall, along with re-signing Foreman, and I'm good. I'd be good seeing Richardson start as a rookie if we have enough talent around him. 

I also trust we have a head coach who knows how to run Training Camp unlike Matt Rhule. 

The one thing I do not want is for the Panthers to trade our 1st this year and next year along with more 2nd or 3rd round picks to move up for Levis, Stroud, or Young.