• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on the Wilks vs Reich debate

methodtoll

I didn’t watch the video all the way through the first time, just finished and they circle back around to the Panthers at the end. Smitty brings up more points, including how bad Missouri’s defense was under Wilks and the clown keeps making excuses proving he doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about and is just trying to push an agenda and/or parrot a narrative.  By the end he is STRUGGLING to keep up with Smitty in the conversation. 

• Pie 1

One thing that I had never thought about was how Tepper probably especially didn't want his team to get rolled up by his former team, so Kudos to Smitty for pointing out that angle. I love the pushback to that seemingly national narrative from someone who actually knows the team. There should have been a voice on the networks to counter Keyshawn, Skip, Shannon, etc.

• Pie 4

9 hours ago, MtnJax said:

i think Smitty puts it best towards the end “I think Wilks was the right guy for the job…until they talked to other experienced HCs and heard their ideas”

probably a lot of how it shook out.

i mean they knew anyways the direction they wanted to go, meaning they knew they wanted an offensive minded coach probably last year. i mean when you look at the guys that were in the main running aside from rhule, it was mccarthy, mcdaniels, and bieneniemy. they were looking towards an OC type then. but then they fell for rhule's song and dance and meatballs and went the "CEO" route or whatever nonsense that was. 

this year, i think not only did they want to go offensive, they wanted to go younger like the hotshot new HCs that we're seeing popping up.

the lack of experience rhule had at the pro level and being tired of losing, tepper just wasn't in the mood to take a risk on some unproven commodity and wanted to go offensive and experienced and successful, which they checked off all boxes with reich. they got not just an offensive minded coach, but someone with a good bit of experience and success at all levels of coaching. he definitely had the best record of anyone else we looked at aside from payton (which i don't think was really a realistic possibility anyways).

once they interviewed reich and i'm sure his interview was solid and that he showed a lot of confidence and preparedness in what he thought was needed to succeed...it wasn't theory like it was with many of the others, and like it probably was with rhule. 

you listen to him and you can tell it goes beyond the leadership quality, it's knowledge and experience and a firm grasp of strategy, esp. on what has been the biggest bugaboo for us for several years...QB and offense. he's not a salesman. he's a guy that knows what it takes and is good about communicating it. 

once they saw that and listened to that, i think it was hard/impossible to go any other way. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, philw5289 said:

Smitty give me a chance to be your co-host. No disrespect to this guy but I have twice the charisma and actually watch 16 panthers games a season 

I assume it’s more the old school model where you have an athlete personality in 89 and a “nobody” that is just there to largely steer 89 to do his thing.    Which sort of doesn’t exist anymore in a lot of the new popular sports type stuff or podcast in general. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

probably a lot of how it shook out.

i mean they knew anyways the direction they wanted to go, meaning they knew they wanted an offensive minded coach probably last year. i mean when you look at the guys that were in the main running aside from rhule, it was mccarthy, mcdaniels, and bieneniemy. they were looking towards an OC type then. but then they fell for rhule's song and dance and meatballs and went the "CEO" route or whatever nonsense that was. 

this year, i think not only did they want to go offensive, they wanted to go younger like the hotshot new HCs that we're seeing popping up.

the lack of experience rhule had at the pro level and being tired of losing, tepper just wasn't in the mood to take a risk on some unproven commodity and wanted to go offensive and experienced and successful, which they checked off all boxes with reich. they got not just an offensive minded coach, but someone with a good bit of experience and success at all levels of coaching. he definitely had the best record of anyone else we looked at aside from payton (which i don't think was really a realistic possibility anyways).

once they interviewed reich and i'm sure his interview was solid and that he showed a lot of confidence and preparedness in what he thought was needed to succeed...it wasn't theory like it was with many of the others, and like it probably was with rhule. 

you listen to him and you can tell it goes beyond the leadership quality, it's knowledge and experience and a firm grasp of strategy, esp. on what has been the biggest bugaboo for us for several years...QB and offense. he's not a salesman. he's a guy that knows what it takes and is good about communicating it. 

once they saw that and listened to that, i think it was hard/impossible to go any other way. 

It's reasonable.

Probably also helps that the main people doing the interviewing this year actually had a friggin clue about football 🙄

• Pie 3

I'm sorry, his co-host ruins the show for me. I can't even watch it tbh. Zero charisma, knows nothing about Panther games, and has very little input towards the topics they bring up.

As for Wilks, thank you for bringing us back to mediocrity. You did a good job for what you inherited, but you lost the job when you lost to a bad Trubisky lead Steelers team AT HOME. We've seen enough Fox/Rivera ball, it was time for a different approach. People act like Wilks went 10-2 lol Dude went 6-6 and choked TWICE for a playoff spot.

Edited by Castavar
  • Pie 2

what smitty talked about with regards to the steelers game was point on. no matter what else happened....he HAD to win that game against the steelers. I mean if WIlks really wanted that job, that was one that he COULD NOT lose, and he did. 

right or wrong, that was a big no no. it's tepper's team against his old team and we keep getting embarrassed by them...at home. Smith was right, you have to make the boss look good in situations that are important for him. you fail at that and you have failed him and it's hard to come back from that. 

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His name is Coley Mick. He's a fantasy football / podcast guy who used to work for Barstool Sports.

And he doesn't know sh-t 😕

And these are the type guys  ( there must be a few 100 of them living in their mothers basement )  who come out with all the mock drafts ..   they copy and paste from someone else mock draft with a couple of picks changed...   None of them know  the Panthers etc..

And radio stations bring them on as guest,,  as if they know more that some of you guys..  and always end it with ,  "  you can follow  dip sh!t @ blah blah blah "   and if you liked what he said,, some of you follow them, lol.   Ok, he's back in his mothers basement.

Edited by OceanPanther
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, philw5289 said:

Smitty give me a chance to be your co-host. No disrespect to this guy but I have twice the charisma and actually watch 16 panthers games a season 

Yeah I've watched this pod a few times but during this episode I had to go google to see who the f*ck this cohost even is. He's apparently some ex Barstool guy that quit or got fired. But yeah, he doesn't have a fuggin clue to anything Panther related (and other teams/games as well) but obviously Smith talks about them in depth every week. Seems like an odd (horrible) choice of a cohost. I really enjoyed Smitty's take and stories in this video though. 

Edited by PantherFanInPhilly