• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on the Wilks vs Reich debate

methodtoll

59 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

All of it is common sense, trying to play field position ball with Tom Brady without your best corner is what sealed it. Not even sure if Rivera/Fox would have been that conservative. 

That was the absolute end for me 

I give Coach Wilks props but people forget when he was DC here, it wasn’t great  I can’t say what went on at the Cardinals as they are a cluster 

I wish him every good thing but it’s time to move on for the franchise as I could no way see Wilks with a rookie qb and having an open offense. It would not happen 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

This Coley guy is horrible. How do you not at least prepare a little regarding the Panthers coaching search? Sounded like a random off the street that’s watched five minutes of football.

That's EXACTLY what he is, as far as I'm concerned.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Donald LaFell said:

All of it is common sense, trying to play field position ball with Tom Brady without your best corner is what sealed it. Not even sure if Rivera/Fox would have been that conservative. 

if you are an offensive coach and can't get your offense to click and you aren't managing a good offense, then something is wrong. same with defense. if you come with a defensive background and that's your specialty, then you better make sure that your defense does what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

I understand this take but with weird posters claiming players are widely unhappy etc it's good to read/listen to someone that is very in touch with the players supporting the Tepper decision, as it does kinda counter some of the other misinformation.

Not at all trying to kick Wilks when he's down etc with that. 

But fug Rhule and his college poo.

not sure pro players  liking a coach matters.  

What matters is if that coach’s system results in winning 

I doubt coaches like Bellinchek. Parcells and of course, some of the older,  winning codgers (Landry, Lombardi, Walsh, et Al). were universally loved…they just won. 

I know vermeil was a player’s coach, he had great wins but by and large, the great ones were all about business.  

I don’t know about Reid.  Great offensive mind and that gets player buy in as it came with results 

Net pro players want to win   Winning equals their livelihood and added contract incentives 

10 hours ago, philw5289 said:

Smitty give me a chance to be your co-host. No disrespect to this guy but I have twice the charisma and actually watch 16 panthers games a season 

How did Smitty even get hooked up with that guy? No Panthers knowledge, no charisma, and looks like he listens to Limp Bizkit while driving 1999 Prelude

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

not sure pro players  liking a coach matters.  

What matters is if that coach’s system results in winning 

I doubt coaches like Bellinchek. Parcells and of course, some of the older,  winning codgers (Landry, Lombardi, Walsh, et Al). were universally loved…they just won. 

I know vermeil was a player’s coach, he had great wins but by and large, the great ones were all about business.  

I don’t know about Reid.  Great offensive mind and that gets player buy in as it came with results 

Net pro players want to win   Winning equals their livelihood and added contract incentives 

Liking and buying in are definitely two different things. The claim the players had already checked out/were thinking of boycotting etc suggests a dissatisfaction that could prevent success.  But I think those stories are just a fake narrative.

https://deadspin.com/carolina-panthers-david-tepper-frank-reich-steve-wilks-1850070637

After reading this article I have come to the conclusion many people just want to see black HCs just for the sake of it being a bragging right. This is equivalent to affirmative action that was being misused by the companies forced to head to the new rules. Being black and seeing this kind of perspective disgusts me. I want a coach that is good no matter the skin color. Opportunities aren’t as prevalent for black coaches, yes but to search and cause so much fuss over a cut and dry situation with a jaded lense is honestly the main problem with the internet and cancel culture today. If Wilks had shown something that could unquestionably show he could turn this franchise around, I’d have been all on board. He unfortunately played it too safe and missed opportunities to get to the playoffs that were handed to him on a silver platter. We didn’t need another Rivera we need an offensive minded coach that will adapt to the league rather than force feed old school football on each and every opponent. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 5

14 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Please let Steve Wilks live his life peacefully.

People wanted him gone yet they still want to discuss him. Let it go people.

I mean I get what you're saying but you think Wilks gives AF about what some random people on an internet forum are saying about him? "Live his life peacefully"........I very much doubt this effects Wilks life in the least bit and its insane to think it does.  Maybe you personally do not like people continuing to talk about him because they wanted him gone and you didn't but to think Wilks is losing sleep over the Carolinahuddle is absolutely hilarious to me.  

It's simple, Wilks didn't do enough and we all know moving to an offensive minded HC was the plan. Most of you have been crying for it. Nobody wants Rivera 2.5 and that's what Wilks is going to be. Wilks is a good man but that doesn't mean he cuts the mustard as a coach. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

I believe those plays coupled with the loss is what sealed Wilk's fate.  We will never know for sure but if I were a betting man I would say that was it.

• Beer 1