• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel very strongly about this... Derek Carr.

Proudiddy

From The Athletic's national NFL writer Jeff Howe:

A resolution is looming with Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, as $40.4 million of his contract will become fully guaranteed Feb. 15. The Raiders will almost certainly trade or release Carr by that deadline, and quarterback-needy teams believe a release is the more likely scenario. The Raiders have very little leverage because Carr has a no-trade clause, and interested teams believe they can sign Carr for a more favorable contract than the one they’d have to trade to inherit.

Link

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

From The Athletic's national NFL writer Jeff Howe:

A resolution is looming with Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, as $40.4 million of his contract will become fully guaranteed Feb. 15. The Raiders will almost certainly trade or release Carr by that deadline, and quarterback-needy teams believe a release is the more likely scenario. The Raiders have very little leverage because Carr has a no-trade clause, and interested teams believe they can sign Carr for a more favorable contract than the one they’d have to trade to inherit.

Link

Yup, that was what I heard this morning, minus the specific details, but the ultimate resolution of him becoming a UFA being the most important part.

11 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

To be fair, Chris Ballard could also have been the guy behind that.

If it was Reich though, then I'd say there's a decent chance Carr fans might get their wish

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yup, that was what I heard this morning, minus the specific details, but the ultimate resolution of him becoming a UFA being the most important part.

There's also a clause that says if he gets injured, his salary for next year is guaranteed.

That's led to speculation that his participation in this weekend's Pro Bowl flag football game might be making the Raiders a tad nervous.

I can get behind signing Carr on a 3yr deal with the final year giving the team an affordable out. While I liked Corral as a prospect, the team is able to compete now with the current roster (and current state of the NFC South) so they need to get a starting QB that can get them to the postseason. It'd also allow the team to spend that 1st round pick on BPA and make the squad even stronger overall.

My primary concern with Carr isn't his quality of play, but rather what type of contract he will be seeking. Is he going to look for a 4+ year deal from someone that believes in him and is desperate enough to try and avoid QB purgatory? That could be tough... but it's hard for me to look at Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Teddy Bridgewater, PJ Walker, Matt Corral, and the shell of Cam Newton without acknowledging that Carr would be the best QB we've had since prime Cam.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'm ok with signing Carr as a veteran, as long as we set our sites on a young QB high in the draft this year or next.  I think Carr gives us the luxury of deferring our young QB acquisition until next year, whereas right now it needs to be sooner rather than later.

If you sign a "better" QB at this point, chances that you will get in position to pick a good young QB in next year's draft are slim.  You can't have it both ways.