• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel very strongly about this... Derek Carr.

Proudiddy

I'd be ok with Carr at a reasonable price - maybe 30m bonus, 60 total.  Cap hit of 10m in 2023 and 25m in 2024 and 2025 with an out in 2025 of 10 dead.

We need to develop Corral.  I'm not on board with just trashing a guy we really liked just because we snagged him in the third round instead of the top 5.

Use the 9th to get a stud WR and one of the 2nds on a TE and I guarantee we win 11 and host a playoff game.

• Pie 1

I'd rather let someone else grab him.

High probability he goes to the NFC given the market, but he barely clipped 60% completion with some really bad games down the stretch this last season.  And that was with getting Adams in house.  He doesn't worry me the level of a Baker Mayfield, but more in line with the Bears when they got Cutler.  Do we really want that, but at an even later part of his career?  

I've always viewed Carr right at that fringe of a franchise QB, but he's just not a top-tier guy.  Even compared to Stafford in their primes while both were on bad teams, the eye test for me has always had Carr a step below.  Maybe above Kirk Cousins & prime Andy Dalton though.     

He's actually a great measuring stick in looking for a guy.  You kind of want to find someone at his level, absolutely bare minimum.  You want to land a guy that's at the least a Derek Carr or else you should keep fishing.  So, do we want to be stuck with that? 

He'll also be 32 in a month so how many prime years are you getting? And would it be worth that contract? You'd really have to bank on him coming in and trusting him to be the dude, ready to win playoff games (0-1 in his career), especially given the expected competition & compensation for 3-4 years.   

I just don't see him as the guy for us.  Could he do well next season? Sure, but I'd rather gamble at higher upside long term than settle for the time being at his known peak.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Not gonna what? Rhule sucks. He did. But Reich had: Wentz and Ryan. Also reclamation QBs. 
I don’t want another freaking teams freaking castoffs. 

That's not a comparison I can give any validity to.

One, pretty sure it's been noted that Reich wasn't the guy who decided to pursue Ryan.

As far as Wentz, the idea was that if anyone could fix him, it would be Reich since that's who he had his best days under.

Also worth noting that he did improve, just didn't return to form.

Its a Divisional Round ceiling move in my eyes. Better than what we've had but not the way I'd personally prefer to build the team. Cousins is a good comp and you'll see the Vikings trying to figure out how to upgrade that position really soon and its going to be a challenge.

read a little while ago he may get cut today...if he gets an injury this weekend at the pro bowl, even an ankle sprain, it would trigger his big pay day...Raiders know it's too late now to trade him, so makes sense to let him go unless they plan to pay and play him next year.

Saints feel with Carr they could win the division next year....but the Panthers would seem to be a more desired spot to Derek.

The best deal for us is to sign him to a 3 year deal, see if someone falls to 9, take him and let him learn for a year under Carr...maybe if we take a project like A. Richardson, could be a good scenario.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I know most everyone is scared off by the thought because of our recent brushes with other teams' leftovers, but I'm convinced this is the right path. It sounds like Carr is going to leverage his way into complete UFA due to the structure of his current deal with LV. I heard this morning that they want him to defer a bonus or something for a certain date to give them time to find a trade, but obviously, because they've treated him so shitty after all he has done for that team, he is refusing, and thus, LV will not really have any choice but to outright release him. So, the first obstacle of giving up compensation is out of the way. Only compensation going out for Carr would be what we decide to pay him. No draft picks.

Second, signing Carr will open up all other possibilities for us in the draft, which Fitt has always said is how we want to approach the offseason. We want to fill in the gaps via FA and such so that when it comes to the draft, we have complete flexibility. Also, I feel like this is the best case scenario even if we are to take a QB this year. I really have grown a liking to the idea of drafting AR. His tools make his potential astronomical snd super exciting, but he is NOT and never will be Cam. Honestly, there was only one Cam and I doubt we see another one for a very, very long time, if ever. But, he can be the first Anthony Richardson, which is exciting in its own right. But, despite encouraging film in his first year as a starter as the season wore on, he still is very raw. And yes, the idea of starting a rookie and him blossoming into some superstar year one is uber sexy, but not likely, especially with this class. That's why Carr makes so much sense. 

We are literally a QB away from a division title, and maybe that QB plus an upgraded starter or two away from a conference run/Superbowl. We are so much closer than many think... Signing Carr will make all options a possibility going into the draft. My preference is to still take Richardson in the first, but if the staff doesn't like it? It gives us the freedom to trade back, pick up more picks and fill out the roster and we still are in position to make a deep playoff run.  

Again, I know many are gunshy about picking up another QB let go by another team, and I understand. But Carr is not like Darnold or Baker. Netierh of them had ever played up to or lived up to the expectations that were placed on them, at ANY point in their careers. We were essentially hoping to find something in them that they never demonstrated with their original teams, and that's why they were ultimately fruitless endeavors. The evidence was already there. The evidence is already clear with Carr as well... He has shown an MVP level of play when put in the right situation. He is an unquestioned leader that guys want to play with and for. It just so happens that he had fell out of favor with renowned dumbass, Josh McDaniels, and is now available as a result. Well, sign me up...

Appreciate the thought but honestly, I want our own qb vs. somebody else’s PTSD QB

enough already    Don’t forget before Newton, we went down that road before 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If we took Carr and then a mid- to late- round QB to back up Corral and develop, yeah, I could get behind it.

I'm not sold on getting the third or fourth best QB with our best pick, or picking up some today's flash in the pan super potential nothing happening QB like AR.

Let someone else take that ride. Ask Tennessee and Atlanta how their hot QB picks have gone from last season.

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, is it really wise to assume that Frank Reich would fail at something just because Matt Rhule did?

That'd be kind of like saying Tom Hanks could never win an Oscar because Adam Sandler can't.

rarely in this league is one mans trash another mans treasure at the QB position.

• Beer 1