• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers favoring Levis?

kungfoodude

Levis is the only quarterback I wouldn't take in the first round out of the top four.

Maybe I'm missing something, I've only watched about five game snap cut-ups, but he doesn't have it between the ears. He reminds me so much of Sam Darnold's slow processing of the field.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Levis is the only quarterback I wouldn't take in the first round out of the top four.

Maybe I'm missing something, I've only watched about five game snap cut-ups, but he doesn't have it between the ears. He reminds me so much of Sam Darnold's slow processing of the field.

I could probably be talked into Levis, but I agree. I have not seen anything making me want to take him in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, heel31ok said:

This draft offers a multiple top position picks and a deep pool at several positions if need.Namely LB,CB,even TE.lets not sacrfice a top pick to a philosophy of keep drafting a qb til one sticks...which is pure stpidity.

Sounds like how most teams fail. QB the most important spot. I trust Reich to identify and develop a good one. Having a stable QB on a rookie deal let’s you build depth and talent because you aren’t sending picks and overpaying for bad QBs like us and the Colts have done for years. If the guy isn’t it you’ll know by year 3-4 but the plan isn’t for him to fail necessarily.

Hell the Eagles got panned for taking Hurts when people still thought Wentz was good but they know good process and understand until you know a guy is the one you’ve always gotta be panning for gold.

Very few teams QB purgatory and stay relevant for large periods of time.

• Pie 4

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

In case you are wondering, this article from December might have it right:

https://catcrave.com/2022/12/04/carolina-panthers-david-tepper-will-levis/

It says, "A league source told the Observer's Ellis Williams that he heard Tepper has his sights set on Levis."

Doesn't get more solid than third-hand, anonymous hearsay.

My most recent Uber drive claims he has an inside source within the Panthers front office.  Seems credible.

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If Levis is really who the staff wants then I’m good with it. I do find it very hard to believe that have any idea which QB they want this early though. I mean we don’t even have an OC yet and our HC was hired like a week ago?

Exactly. We don't even have an OC yet. Reich is still putting the staff together. None of the coaches are likely to have done any deep film study yet or meet with the prospects. The staff doesn't know who the staff wants yet.

2 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

My most recent Uber drive claims he has an inside source within the Panthers front office.  Seems credible.

That is funny-

Several years ago--maybe 10 or more--my source for minor scoop was Brandon Beane.  I used to share stuff that he told me (for some reason, we'd get our car inspected at the same place at the same time-he is from Stanly County)--and my best friend was close to him (Taught him in high School and coached him). It was SO funny when people on the Huddle would call me out, asking me for my source and then mocking me when I would not give him up (at the time, he was not a big name, but he carried Marty for a while and knew the draft).  I don't blame them--I would call me out too.  Beane would only give perspectives on players, not tell us who the Panthers were targeting, etc. I remember that he said (thru my friend) that 2x All American G Duke Robinson was not on his board, but MH loved him. Later, he said that he talked Marty out of drafting him 2 rounds before Marty did. (at the time, he was not the asst. GM--he was director of football operations, and he was fairly new--so he was proud of getting that right). Robinson was never good.  He told us that he was trying to talk Marty out of taking him outright.  He would tell us dark horses that were not on the major mock draft radar and tell us players who were projected in early rounds (in our mocks) who would not be drafted by anyone.  He did tell us that they like Josh Norman once--but I do not think he would have told us that if Norman was a real serious target.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That is funny-

Several years ago--maybe 10 or more--my source for minor scoop was Brandon Beane.  I used to share stuff that he told me (for some reason, we'd get our car inspected at the same place at the same time-he is from Stanly County)--and my best friend was close to him (Taught him in high School and coached him). It was SO funny when people on the Huddle would call me out, asking me for my source and then mocking me when I would not give him up (at the time, he was not a big name, but he carried Marty for a while and knew the draft).  I don't blame them--I would call me out too.  Beane would only give perspectives on players, not tell us who the Panthers were targeting, etc. I remember that he said (thru my friend) that 2x All American G Duke Robinson was not on his board, but MH loved him. Later, he said that he talked Marty out of drafting him 2 rounds before Marty did. (at the time, he was not the asst. GM--he was director of football operations, and he was fairly new--so he was proud of getting that right). Robinson was never good.  He told us that he was trying to talk Marty out of taking him outright.  He would tell us dark horses that were not on the major mock draft radar and tell us players who were projected in early rounds (in our mocks) who would not be drafted by anyone.  He did tell us that they like Josh Norman once--but I do not think he would have told us that if Norman was a real serious target.

Good stuff. Me and herniay and similar hope for Duke......I stoopidly thought " This will be the rare great late herniay pick, yes!!"....

My "source" or "sources" were my clients and front desk hotel people(was a traveling tile rep whos base was NC/SC).....The wingate near lake norman had a few players meeting whores there, it got bad after they were to told to ignore..... The last one was my uncle was a "connected " high school coach. And my 1st cousin works security for UNC, but panther "scoops" and unc football ones rarely coincide. All of those have changed and old now.  

59 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Sounds like how most teams fail. QB the most important spot. I trust Reich to identify and develop a good one. Having a stable QB on a rookie deal let’s you build depth and talent because you aren’t sending picks and overpaying for bad QBs like us and the Colts have done for years. If the guy isn’t it you’ll know by year 3-4 but the plan isn’t for him to fail necessarily.

Hell the Eagles got panned for taking Hurts when people still thought Wentz was good but they know good process and understand until you know a guy is the one you’ve always gotta be panning for gold.

I am fine with Reich getting his guy whether in the draft or FA. He should know what he wants and who he can develop. He also has a win now mentality so while he won't do anything crazy to win now at all costs he is going to be aggressive which Fitterer will support. Since his future is going to largely ride on the qb he chooses, Reich gets to pick his guy. He knows he needs to find one given his career in Indy and his opportunity here were marked by failure to find that stable franchise quarterback.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, stan786 said:

Yes most important which is why you dont draft bad ones.Building the rest of the team with good players is how a team wins and builds longterm success.That isnt how most teams fail at all. 

Edited by heel31ok