• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Howe on the Panthers "power dynamics"

Mr. Scot

Im honestly shocked at anyone thats able to have both HC and GM duties....theres not enough time in the day/week/month/year. Plus the stress level must reach space. Its super difficult to weigh winning now and future building.....cannot imagine that as both.

And David Tepper thought Matt Rhule can do it all and a bunch of other responsibilities......

• Pie 8

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Im honestly shocked at anyone thats able to have both HC and GM duties....theres not enough time in the day/week/month/year. Plus the stress level must reach space. Its super difficult to weigh winning now and future building.....cannot imagine that as both.

And David Tepper thought Matt Rhule can do it all and a bunch of other responsibilities......

I feel like that whole time he was in charge was just a really bad dream.

Keep asking myself "Did that really happen?" 😳

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And yet we had people arguing right up to the end that he was doing good and could turn it all around given time 😄

Wonder if our old buddy Dr Lunker still thinks that 

You put out his ultra bait "Appaloosa Model", lols......I sorta miss him, form a entertaining side 

Truth be told, I bought into(some) after I thought 2020 2-14 was the max record.......he pulled out his standard 5-11 season, *but 8 of those losses were within one scores. Seemed to be a great building block, no other building took place in the coming years..

• Beer 2

19 minutes ago, Basbear said:

You put out his ultra bait "Appaloosa Model", lols......I sorta miss him, form a entertaining side 

Truth be told, I bought into(some) after I thought 2020 2-14 was the max record.......he pulled out his standard 5-11 season, *but 8 of those losses were within one scores. Seemed to be a great building block, no other building took place in the coming years..

I was never a fan of hiring a college coach but said I'd give him a chance.

Year one is pretty much always nothing special, but we'd gone into that season expecting to come out with the worst record in the league so 5-11 seemed like an overachieving year.

By about the middle of year two though it was like "oh, okay". 🙄

Leroy Hoard used to say "if you need three and a half yards, I'll get you three and a half yards. And if you need five yards, I'll get you three and a half yards."

That statement works well with Matt Rhule if you change it to five wins.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's the norm for a reason. Let the coach focus on coaching and let the GM focus on roster building. Yeah, it's a collaborative effort but both jobs are full time plus jobs. 

Tepper came in thinking he was gonna revolutionize the league, show everybody how it's done and look like a big balled genius.

Instead he's a massive failure so far, is learning why things are the way they are and looks like a big bald numbskull.

• Beer 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper came in thinking he was gonna revolutionize the league, show everybody how it's done and look like a big balled genius.

Instead he's a massive failure so far, is learning why things are the way they are and looks like a big bald numbskull.

Yeah, the guys who eventually get full control are generally proven NFL winners with a SB ring or two or more on their fingers.

Not guys who racked up wins against unranked college teams at Baylor and Temple while losing to every actual good team they faced.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Basbear said:

That era pretty much ended when the salary cap started.  Someone would need extremely good assistant coaches and support staff on the GM side to pull it off.  And then they would need to keep those people in place or have a steady stream of exceptional talent to replace them.

The problem The Process had is that he was about as good as he was going to get in year one.  To get better at anything, the person needs to realize they need to get better or even can get better.  He did not see the need, and he thought his methods were the epitome. 

What he discovered was that immortal Jerry Glanville quote, that if you are a pro coach NFL stands for Not For Long. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

54 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Imagine having all those responsibilities and then wasting precious time micro managing social media and taking vacations in the middle of the season. Matt Rhule was one of the worst hires ever.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2